Reyes Plans to Warn Ref About Jones

Was there ever a fight when the ref should have deducted a point from Jones for eye poking?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
fingers4.gif

Getting ready for Jones not only means taking on the greatest light heavyweight fighter in the history of mixed martial arts but Reyes also believes there’s more to this particular challenge than what lies inside rules. Throughout his career, Jones has gained a somewhat notorious reputation for eye pokes in many of his biggest fights.

He’s been admonished by referees on numerous occasions in the past for the "accidental" foul, including several past title fights against Alexander Gustafsson, Daniel Cormier, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Glover Teixeira. Despite repeated issues, Jones has never faced a point deduction for the eye pokes or extending his fingers when reaching towards an opponent. Reyes is well aware of that fact as he gets ready to throw hands with Jones on Feb. 8.

“It’s something where it is what it is. Not much I can do about it except give the referee an advanced, 'Hey, man, please look out for this. He’s notorious for this.'"

Reyes knows it’s a constant problem, which is why he fully intends on warning the referee in Houston about the potential for eye pokes coming from Jones and that he should be admonished if it happens.

“It’s a blatant rule break. You can’t do it. It’s in the rules. It’s been talked about many times. Either you’re going to do it or you’re not going to do it. It’s up to me on fight night to talk to the ref and make him aware.

“Listen, the rule is we’re taking a point away; that’s the rule. If he’s going to poke me in the eyes, now I’m compromised; that gives him a huge advantage. If I can’t see, if half my vision’s gone, that’s point worthy.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/1/...ious-problem-plans-to-warn-referee-at-ufc-247

Last edited:
As stupid as it is, referees in any sport aren’t meant to take a fighters reputation into account when making a decision. Jones gets away with one or two every fight for this reason.

First response nailed it. Reyes maybe right but the refs job is to be unbiased.

Having said that they need to start taking points from ALL fighters not just Jones.

Omg snitch! Snitch alert!

”It’s something where it is what it is.”
- D. Reyes

<WellThere>

Good I hope he does so. Fighters have had point deductions for a lot less.

2nd eye poke should always be a point deduction at the bare minimum.

If Jones lands one illegal blow on Reyes I hope Reyes takes the DQ victory.
That will be fun.

Won't save him from the ass beating Jones is gonna give him

I’m down for eye pokes to be legal, it’s a part of fighting and if you get finished after getting poked TOUGH SHIT ITS A FIGHT YOU MUPPET

The thing is: All eyepokes SINCE DC 1 were UNINTENTIONAL. All the haters can do is put a picture from 1876 BC like that one from Rampage. Sad.

SHOOK. Reyes will be dismantled. Easily. Piece by piece.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRR JON "GOAT" JONES!!

It seems he has already lost in his mind. I remember when Gus called Jones a cheater before getting his head hammered into the canvas.

I’m down for eye pokes to be legal, it’s a part of fighting and if you get finished after getting poked TOUGH SHIT ITS A FIGHT YOU MUPPET
tough guy here,or should i say ignorant cunt?

2nd eye poke should always be a point deduction at the bare minimum.
1st eye poke should be a one point deduction. 2nd one is DQ. Use instant replay to verify (like every other major sport does). If someone is shown to be faking it, they get one warning. If it happens again, faker gets a point deducted. If this were the way it was carried out, the problem would soon go away.

Jones uses the eye poke (and the threat of it) as a deliberate offensive strategy. One of the many things I dislike about the guy.

I wanna know why those 6 people trolled and voted no.

even the biggest Jon Jones fans can’t deny that.

Lmao, they already let him openly juice, you think they are going to do anything about eye pokes?

Whoever the referee is they've seen plenty of Jon Jones fights, probably more than Reyes has, so they know what he does in the cage.
I think if I was a referee and a fighter told me what to look out for that they think their opponent does I'd be more lenient and let a few things go. I'm the referee, I don't need a fighter telling me how to do my job.

Back