Reyes isn’t as down and out as people are suggesting

Benoitthegr8

Filthy Pensioner
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just rewatched the Prochazka versus Reyes fight, obviously the fight is a Just Bleed Showcase of the highest order, definitely not any type of defensive striking clinic...LOL. In lieu of what people suggest Reyes was actually holding his own throughout the fight, while he was bloodied, battered and KTFO, he could’ve easily been on the winning end of the equation.

Reyes had Jiri rocked at the 2:26 mark of 2nd round, he had Jiri panic wrestling. Fast forward to the 1:05 point of the 2nd Jiri has Reyes while in top control, he postures up and Reyes lands an upkick, you can see the flash KO, Jiri loses his feet and falls into side control, then quickly regained his composure...

I’m a Jiri fan and not trying to discredit his incredible win, moreover I’m more impressed with Dom’s ability to hang in there and weather the storm every time I rewatch the fight, I think this is the 4th time I’ve watched it TBH.

Kudos to both fighters for delivering a great fight and IMO KOTY contender, this fight wouldn’t have been such an incredible display of spectacular violence unless both fighters were game and willing to go to war... If anything I have more hespect for Reyes coming from this fight and actually slightly less confidence that Jiri will ever hold a belt.

It’s actually insanity that Jiri was able to actually continue through and achieve this type of highlight reel finish after having getting stung and flash KO’d both men are true Just Bleed Disciplines.

Going forward I think Reyes will be alright, just needs to take some time off, heal the body and brain, I’d also think a step back in competition to gain some momentum would also be beneficial. In theory he could actually be 2-1 right now in that he’s had two of his past three end up being close enough to pull out the win.

Discuss

Agreed. If he didn't rush in after he rocked Jiri down, he may have finished him off.

He needs to heal the broken nose fully before fighting

Reyes has fought a murderers row in his last 3 fights. He arguably beat Jones and he hurt Prochazka multiple times. He will be underrated in here for a while, but he's still a top LHW.

He needs a step down in his next fight, maybe Thiago Santos or Ion Cutelaba.

Reyes has fought a murderers row in his last 3 fights. He arguably beat Jones and he hurt Prochazka multiple times. He will be underrated in here for a while, but he's still a top LHW.

Funny thing you say that I’m actually watching the Cutelaba versus Jacoby fight as I type this

If anything Reyes has been overrated for gassing out to unmotivated Jones. His last two stoppages were against 185ers. He got a gift against Volkan. Decisioning OSP isn't impressive for a "top LHW." Kimball and Christensen were awful opponents with zero combined impressive wins.

Reyes is a monster, he's just faced an extremely rough run of competition. He beats 99% of LHW fighters on the planet.

He's still competitive. He just took a lot of damage.

Jiri needs to be careful too because you can't rely on that iron chin forever.

I agree, Jiri is just a different animal. Reyes was in good shape tho, question is if he can comeback from that brutal KO.

Reyes hasn’t lost to scrubs and he was competitive in all of those fights. I think he’s a borderline top 5 guy that doesn’t quite have enough to beat the very elite at the moment, but the guy isn’t done by any means.

If anything Reyes has been overrated for gassing out to unmotivated Jones. His last two stoppages were against 185ers. He got a gift against Volkan. Decisioning OSP isn't impressive for a "top LHW." Kimball and Christensen were awful opponents with zero combined impressive wins.
He’s fought 2 champs and 3 top 10 guys consecutive, the point I was making was that he’s been competitive in all of his recent fights, save the Jan fight. The folks here on the Dog are doing as they always do post event, it’s either putting one guy on a pedestal or gloom and doom for the loser... his career is over, needs to retire, change camps, drop weight class, ect.

he almost finishesdJiri twice - the flash knockout from the upkick and when he rocked him but made the mistake of going for the guillotine

Jiri was clearly up but it was a close fight. those counters Dom was landing would have dropped a lot of others

Back