Reyes didnt do enough

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Murder_KickHC, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Murder_KickHC Brown Belt

To all the casuals and new fans: To beat the champion you have to win convincly and Reyes just wasnt good enough to do that. If there was no time limit he wouldve been dead because Jones was much fresher and all over him in the 5th.

2. SlomiGa MMAathmetician

Nowhere in the rulebooks does it say that. You win or lose based on performance, not held titles.

3. faustian I AM NOT A MONSTER Platinum Member

So to beat Jon you have to win 4/5 rounds, and do it again in the instant rematch. Sounds fair

4. Gilday Silver Belt

Why did Mighty Mouse lose to Cejudo?

BJ Penn to Frankie?

5. in the liver Mo froots

Reyes didnt do enough turinabol

6. Individualthoughtpatterns Green Belt

John McCarthy literally wrote the book on ufc judging. Watch his interview with Josh Thompson.
    He says he scored the fight for Reyes. He also said that title fights are still a blue corner-red corner thing. You dont get the benefit of the doubt I'd you're the champ. You dont have to "beat the champ more convincingly"

7. EndlessCritic Steel Belt

Idiots repeating something doesn't make it true.

8. Lukn4trbl Brown Belt

Please STFU and stop making up rules to justify your position.\

Also:

9. Jdanois Blue Belt

This just simply isn't true.

10. Congo66 Silver Belt

The only people who say this sort of nonsense are commentators and idiots.
    Title fights are no different to any other fight, champions don't start each round in front and challengers don't have to win a round by a large margin to win it.

11. Luvhawky Brown Belt

Jesus christ, that was more brutal than any KO I've seen. And she kept dancing.

12. Dbreiden83080 Andle My Riddum

You better not let Jones take over in the last two rounds like he tends to do. Jones never quits. He has ridiculous heart and conditioning. He’s not going to stop. The most underrated quality about Jones as a fighter is his heart. He cannot be broken mentally in the cage.

13. FrankDux I'm tired of labels...

You know...people keep saying vague things like "didn't do enough" or "wasn't pressing the fight" or "got tired"....and while Reyes did certainly get tired in the later rounds, when asking the dudes saying this to precisely state which minutes/seconds in the 2nd-3rd rounds where Reyes "didn't do enough" they never say anything. I've probably watched the fight about 6-7 times now and dissected rounds 2 and 3 to try and poke holes in my own arguments and opinions to see if maybe I'm wrong but I can't. In no way can any objective person say JJ won those rounds. And I like JJ. He's been a great champion.

14. winkydinks Banned Banned

Nobody said 4/5 rounds. What you can't do is lose the championship rounds and have two others be questionable.

15. Spitfire3000 Brown Belt

I'm not sure where it developed. Whether from the early days of boxing when you had to actually KO the champion, who would stall, or in the sense that in the event of a draw the champion retains the belt so you'd literally have to beat them to become the champion.

Either way, I don't understand why so many morons readily accept giving the belt holder an extra advantage because he walks to the cage with the belt, that his opponent has to "win convincingly."

16. demetrio Blue Belt

The sport says 3 rounds is enough.

"Gotta beat the champion" doesn't mean shit.

17. xP Silver Belt

"to beat the champ you have to dominate" is a made up saying that has not applied in tons of fights (Edgar/BJ 1, Cejudo/MM, Forrest/Rampage, I could literally go on and on). The champion doesn't have bonus points.

Psuedo death match fantasy rules certainly don't have anything to do with it either.

Keep talking down to new fans while repeating old tropes nobody takes seriously, orange belt.

18. Tuf_guy Gold Belt

Thanks for the lesson on your non-rule based opinion.

19. teamfox223 Brown Belt

This was not a robbery like everyone say it is but you can make a case for Reyes wining for sure, Reyes won round 1,3 everyone for sure everyone agrees, Jones won round 4,5 everyone agrees is round 2 that is debatable everyone is judging either Reyes winning by landing a few more strikes or Jones control both are legit augments but when you argue about 1 round coming down to only a few strikes vs control meaning the fight is so close.

20. Murder_KickHC Brown Belt

Its an unwritten rule
    Jones made him look like reindeer in lights and was all over him in championship rounds while Reyes was gassed and just tried to survive. If there was no time limit Jones wouldve eaten him alive sooner or later. Even if Reyes outpointed him with one or two barely significant jabs during early rounds which were merely just ant bites compared to the takedowns and kicks Jones threw later in the fight that possibly destroyed his ACL which his reaction kinda gives away in the Ariel Show. That its not enough to dehtrone someone like Jones and Reyes needs go back to drawing board after healing up and work on finishing moves if the rematch presents itself one day.

Its totally different story when challanger wins last 3 rounds in row and Champion gets saved by the bell not if its the other way around.