Rewatching Old KHABIB Fights - Remember TIBAU?

1. Khabib won this
2. Khabib was a young kid, this fight was 6+ years ago
3. Tibau had 92%+ Takedown defense stats
4. Tibau was a known cheat and steroid abuser and still lost
5. Conor actually lost and got tapped by cans, Khabib never lost to cans

People keep bringing this fight up and i dont get it. Tibau was on the defensive the entire fight. Had it 30-27 Khabib

What were the judges smoking that night?

Tibau won at least 2 rounds and you could easily argue he got the 30-27.

Undefeated? Sure, with a MASSIVE ASTERISK.

Khabib_vs_Tibau_3.jpg

Come on guys, I love Khabib and Tibau bores the shit out of me but that decision really did confuse me.
Just bulldozed him lol.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
He was a big powerful boy.
Pretty clear win for Tibau imo.

Not one round from 1 judge is simply stunning.
-

Remember Tibau? It's hard to forget a fight that has been brought to the conversation a million times. So far, Khabib has not struggled to take anyone else down and ragdolled better grapplers. Tibau was a chemically enhanced bad matchup that Khabib still beat : post USADA and with four losses in a row, Tibau still holds a 92% TDD over 28 UFC fights.
In addition to what @Rvd Slmr wrote, Tibau's cage weight:
Gleison Tibau: 181 lbs

And:
mfP2Z8i.jpg

giphy.gif

Seriously, I can't believe people are still referencing a fight from 6 YEARS AGO like it has any relevance to today.

Khabib grew up and filled in since then. He looks more like Tibau thickness wise now.

giphy.gif

Seriously, I can't believe people are still referencing a fight from 6 YEARS AGO like it has any relevance to today.

Cruz beating part time Might mouse 7 years ago is frequently deemed relevant.

Tibau's tactics are Conor's blue prints to victory. He's gonna do the same thing.
Is conor going to grapple him? I haven't seen this fight but it seems like that's what Tibau did.

Khabib didnt look good in that fight, and did probably get a bit lucky with the decision.

Not really relevant today though.

lol Tibau is just so unlike Conor that that gameplan is irrelevant.

Khabib better have worked on his striking though, cause it looked terrible at points.

giphy.gif
That fight was SIX YEARS ago. You think maybe his striking has improved? Maybe a little?

lol Tibau is just so unlike Conor that that gameplan is irrelevant.

Khabib better have worked on his striking though, cause it looked terrible at points.

giphy.gif

His chin looks fine there though

I scored it something like 10/10 first round, 10/9 to Tibau 2nd round and maybe 10/10 3rd round or at a push, 10/9 to Tibau 3rd round.
He was really screwed out of a victory that day. It's not like it was a huge defeat for Khabib. It was very very close and the 10/9's I'd give to Tibau would be his better success at the take down game.
Khabib dropped to his knees crying at the end as he was so relieved to be given the win. He himself didn't feel he deserved it.
But, that's in the past. I think it should be the one L on Khabibs record and that type of fighter will always be the stylistic weakness for him.

Silly goose.

When an "undefeated" record is part of the conversation, EVERY FIGHT FROM EVERY YEAR AGO has ALL THE RELEVANCE to today.

Come on guys, I love Khabib and Tibau bores the shit out of me but that decision really did confuse me.

Yeah, Tibau won that fight. Rogan was in mid-sentence about how "this loss would help the talented young Khabib...," or something along those lines, when the decision was announced. Everyone was just like WTF?

I don't think Conor will be able to fight that sort of fight against Khabib today. It ends early when Conor catches him coming in or Khabib beats him up for a long time. Nobody's really expecting anything different, right?

Fighters should not be judged based on a single fight. I thought Khabib lost that one. Doesn't make much difference, he's proven himself to be one of the most dominant guys in the UFC. And he's going to sleep come October 6th.
This, Kabib hjad lacked as much top level fight experience, wasn't as skilled and looks much smaller here. He's a different beast nowadays.

Pretty clear 30-27 Tibau. Khabib is incredibly overrated.

Back