Rewatching mayweather mcgregor..

Funny how it was Conors first fight in boxing and he did better than any other of Mayweathers opponents.

Imagine if Conor actually just trained boxing he would be one of the best boxers in the world easily. Just shows you how good he is.

Hits harder than guys like Canelo and has similar speed to Amir Khan. If only he had a better gas tank he could do really well in boxing. Maybe top 10. Same as Nate Diaz
I think he did very well, better than expected, and us haters don’t give him credit. How he performed was pretty miraculous, amazing really.
You missed two or three big points, though.
Floyd has had much more trouble with a lot of guys - Oscar and Castillo come to mind.
Floyd wasn’t always 40.
Floyd was fighting up to Conor’s weight. Conor had a size advantage that a lot of Floyd’s opponents didn’t. Conor would have to fight Golovkin-sized guys in a boxing career.
He still did really well, though.

You're completely right. I'm probably one of the only Sherdoggers to see this in person and from good seats, Floyd was in control the entire time. He looked completely loose throughout the fight while Conor seemed like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Ah cool u were there

I know it was a goofy fight but the atmosphere there mustve been sweet dude

Zab Judah cracked Mayweather worse than Conor, dropped him (was not counted), and Floyd was not even hurt, gathered his bearings, and started to pick Judah apart piece by piece. Judah dropped prime Mayweather, who was using the shell, while Mcgregor fans lap his cock for landing a single uppercut against a smaller man who was plodding forth with earmuffs.

Laughable.

That zab judah fight is one of the craziest things ive ever seen. That fucker is faster than floyd and floyd still found a way to get it done. Literally awe-inspiring

I think he did very well, better than expected, and us haters don’t give him credit. How he performed was pretty miraculous, amazing really.
You missed two or three big points, though.
Floyd has had much more trouble with a lot of guys - Oscar and Castillo come to mind.
Floyd wasn’t always 40.
Floyd was fighting up to Conor’s weight. Conor had a size advantage that a lot of Floyd’s opponents didn’t. Conor would have to fight Golovkin-sized guys in a boxing career.
He still did really well, though.

Loads of Floyd's opponents had a size advantage.

Shit, most of them did especially at 147 upward.

i love how conor haters are bitter as fuck about that fight despite conor losing.

must hurt knowing that conor did better than anyone expected, b-but floyd let conor land all those punches!!

he'll never get any credit from these obsessed little losers.
If the greats of boxing say he did good then that's what he did, who the fuck are these people that think they know better, post up your boxing titles or link your fights on you tube and lets compare. There isn't a single one of them that has even the slightest clue about what they are talking about.

And its still goosebumps when mayweather comes out in round four. Its so clear that that was the first round he turned on the real shots.

The body language of both fighters are so cool to watch.

McGregor got a "oh shit" look right after the first real combo from floyd landed.

And he stopped being the agressor. From then on, floyd was the one going forward.

Kinda like when Jose aldo went into boss mode after the first firefight against Stephens

Round 4, isnt that the round that Conor KO'd floyd dead?

The hype for Conor was so stupid. People (non boxing fans obviously) genuinely thought he had a chance to win or was even favorite to win.
[Cool Story] My brother rang me on the morning of the fight saying he was throwing a party for it. He asked me what I thought and I said the best Conor could do is make it like Floyd's Hatton fight and brawl before getting stopped in the 8th. He couldn't believe it, talking about the hammer left hand all that bullshit. People were delusional

I actually think Conor did extremely well in that fight. He gave 3 good rounds, got carried for 5, and when Floyd came out to finish him in the 8th, he managed to tough it out to the 10th, which I thought was impressive. The guys Amateur record is 0-0 and his PRO record was 0-0 (now 0-1) think about that.

Boxing fans and Conor haters are still salty over it. They needed a finish in 3 to justify all the shit they talked and they didn't get it. Now it's all about trying to dress it up like getting to 10 rounds against the Weight-class GOAT was an accident or something Floyd arranged.

As far as achievement goes, the nearest comparison I can think of is if somebody like Gilberto Ramirez or David Benavidez did 6 months training and took GSP to round 4 in the Octagon. Current champion boxer vrs (semi) retired GOAT MMA fighter. It might happen but it's hugely unlikely, we all know the boxer would probably be done in one.

The hype for Conor was so stupid. People (non boxing fans obviously) genuinely thought he had a chance to win or was even favorite to win.
[Cool Story] My brother rang me on the morning of the fight saying he was throwing a party for it. He asked me what I thought and I said the best Conor could do is make it like Floyd's Hatton fight and brawl before getting stopped in the 8th. He couldn't believe it, talking about the hammer left hand all that bullshit. People were delusional

I actually think Conor did extremely well in that fight. He gave 3 good rounds, got carried for 5, and when Floyd came out to finish him in the 8th, he managed to tough it out to the 10th, which I though was impressive. The guys Amateur record is 0-0 and his PRO record was 0-0 (now 0-1) think about that.

Boxing fans and Conor haters are still salty over it. They needed a finish in 3 to justify all the shit they talked and they didn't get it. Now it's all about trying to dress it up like getting to 10 rounds against the Weight-class GOAT was an accident or something Floyd arranged.

As far as achievement goes, the nearest comparison I can think of is if somebody like Gilberto Ramirez or David Benavidez did 6 months training and took GSP to round 4 in the Octagon. Current champion boxer vrs (semi) retired GOAT MMA fighter. It might happen but it's hugely unlikely, we all know the boxer would probably be done in one.

he had a chance:
- he was at least 2-3 weight classes bigger than floyd
- much younger
- know for his hands (not just a random BJJ guy)
- weird stance

Conor did not overachieve, floyd allowed him to do so. If Floyd wanted he could have outboxed Conor from outside but instead he came forward and didn't respect Conor at all. Landing one uppercut the whole fight was conor's highlight.

Which is more than 75% of Floyd's opponents have, so.

The guy couldn't even knock out Pauly in a 12 rd sparring match even though Pauly hadn't trained in forever and was way smaller.

Absolutely silly to think Conor had a chance to win. He landed ONE good uppercut the whole fight. Everything else was just child's play.
I said in my very first post it was 'an easy match to predict with an expected result'

Not sure where you're getting the idea that I thought Conor was going to win

You missed the body shot Conor landed early? Squandered the opportunity but he landed it and got a reaction nonetheless

i guess it was a good one, i don't know if it was a low blow or what happened there, but i don't think he overachieved. at least, not in my opinion.

i believe Floyd more or less played down to Conor in order to make it seem somewhat competitive, and even still, it was a blow out.

however, i do not think Conor was embarrassing like some people pretend. i believe he gave good account of himself.

people like Max Kellerman predicting he wouldn't even land a punch on Mayweather is asinine, and because of those kind of ridiculous predictions Conor would be considered to have overachieved

i guess it was a good one, i don't know if it was a low blow or what happened there, but i don't think he overachieved. at least, not in my opinion.

i believe Floyd more or less played down to Conor in order to make it seem somewhat competitive, and even still, it was a blow out.

however, i do not think Conor was embarrassing like some people pretend. i believe he gave good account of himself.

people like Max Kellerman predicting he wouldn't even land a punch on Mayweather is asinine, and because of those kind of ridiculous predictions Conor would be considered to have overachieved
I just looked it up, was the 9th round, not early like I thought. Makes sense then that he wasn't able to capitalize, he was too tired and might've even missed the fact that Floyd didn't like it

But yeah I agree with most of your post. I think saying Floyd 'carried' or 'played down' to conors level is a little misleading. I think it was an actual strategy to win more than showmanship. He knew conor would blow out his lungs, at that point the finish is academic.

Why even give him a chance?

Theres a version of that fight where someone shot it from the crowd, its very interesting seeing it from that angle. Televised footage constantly changes angle but you can get a much better read on all the body language and so on from a fixed perspective. It becomes super clear how completely comfortable floyd was the whole time, he was completely phoning it in. Its on youtube im sure
Seen the fight 3 times from both angles. It really looked like Floyd was going at a comfortable pace the entire time until he was ready to wrap things up.

Conor lasted a bit longer than I expected (I predicted round 8 or 9 I think). He did a few things that I did not expect but nothing all that surprising to me. Given the circumstances he did well. The claims that he did better than world champs is silly considering Floyd took way more risks here than with any of them and wasn't punished for it.

Conor has some solid boxing skill. He did better than he had any right to.

LOL Okay..

That fight went from

"Conor will not land 1 punch"

To

"Floyd carried him the whole way, Conor sucks shut up bitches"..

Seen the fight 3 times from both angles. It really looked like Floyd was going at a comfortable pace the entire time until he was ready to wrap things up.

Conor lasted a bit longer than I expected (I predicted round 8 or 9 I think). He did a few things that I did not expect but nothing all that surprising to me. Given the circumstances he did well. The claims that he did better than world champs is silly considering Floyd took way more risks here than with any of them and wasn't punished for it.

Conor has some solid boxing skill. He did better than he had any right to.

A reasonable take. Conor being 0-0 as a boxer is not beating Floyd, no-matter how old Floyd is, outside of being about 55. Floyd is the king of taking his time, he is never in any rush in that ring. But just to hang in there for 9 rounds and land some punches Conor deserves credit for that. Had they been in the Cage as soon as Conor got serious with leg kicks, Floyd would be tossing in the towel.. But Props to Conor for marketing himself and making his money..

Lennox Lewis got his ass kicked by Floyd???

{<jordan}

Conor landed more punches than legit world champions on Floyd and he has 0 boxing matches in his life. How in the love of hell is that not over achieving? People thought Conor wouldn't land a single punch. Literally not 1 punch.
Because Floyd walked him down with no respect for his power. Floyd literally doesn’t do that against anyone else. That’s why he landed. Because Floyd didn’t care.

Back