Rewatching Max v Volkanovski 2. Explain how was this a robbery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 4 and 5 were toss ups as I remember and Max clearly won 1 and 2. Scoring is the real issue it sucks so bad that they don't just judge the fight as a whole.

Max clearly won the fight overall and clearly won 2 rounds and arguably won all 5 rounds

Volk CLEARLY won zero rounds but arguably won 3 and 2 of the judges gave him all 3 of the close rounds so robbery might not be the term because of the flawed scoring system they fought under but make no mistake Max won that fight and was the better fighter that night.

Sounds like Machida vs. Shogun I. First three rounds were very close. Shogun could have won all 5 rounds but Lyoto arguably could have won three. Shogun clearly won two rounds.

Now, I’m not saying Volk is as controversial a decision but, in principle it’s similar in that Max won the rounds he won emphatically and lost the rounds he (arguably) lost narrowly.

There were only 2 significant moments in that whole fight where someone got hurt. They were both Max headkicking Volk and knocking him down. To me, Max won that fight. However I can see how you might score rounds 3, 4, and 5 all to Volk, so I won't call it a robbery.

Sounds like Machida vs. Shogun I. First three rounds were very close. Shogun could have won all 5 rounds but Lyoto arguably could have won three. Shogun clearly won two rounds.

Now, I’m not saying Volk is as controversial a decision but, in principle it’s similar in that Max won the rounds he won emphatically and lost the rounds he (arguably) lost narrowly.
Largely I agree.

I have huge karate style fanboy goggles so I thought Lyoto won all three of the close rounds in that fight but that's a good analogy

Largely I agree.

I have huge karate style fanboy goggles so I thought Lyoto won all three of the close rounds in that fight but that's a good analogy
Yeah though I scored it 48-47 for Shogun I never viewed that fight as a robbery for that very reason.

Jones vs. Gus is a weirdly similar inverse too in that there was an argument that either won two of the first three rounds but there was no argument that Gus won 4 or 5.
The only different is that in that case, the guy who clearly took two rounds did get the nod unlike those other two fights.

Not a robbery. Honestly, I blame Bisping's ridiculous commentary during that fight. He kept going on and on about Max winning during the fight, then on and on about how bad the decision was after.

I remember after round 3 and Bisping was going on about how that was Max's round and thinking "you sure their buddeh?"

<28><28><28><28>

There were only 2 significant moments in that whole fight where someone got hurt. They were both Max headkicking Volk and knocking him down. To me, Max won that fight. However I can see how you might score rounds 3, 4, and 5 all to Volk, so I won't call it a robbery.
Truthfully if there was ever a case for pride rules being applied to a fight it was this fight...because if you judged that fight as a whole there was no way max lost

If the fight was close people scream “ robbery “ nothing new

It’s hard to call a fight that close a robbery no matter how the judges had gone. Personally, I scored it for Volk.

Max lost people just wanted him to win. Its his fault for not addressing leg kicks or doing enough in the later rounds.

I still think they should do the half point system like some kickboxing orgs had. 10-9.5 for super close round 10-9 for clear round 10-8.5 for what would normally be a clear 10-8 and 10-8 for absolute domination type rounds etc. Of course they could just continue to be more open to 10-8's 10-7's but I just feel like the half point would be an easier adjustment.

Conor beats Max again and Volk too.

Prime Aldo is the FW goat though.

Love Max but Volk won 3,4,5. On a positive note for Max he did a lot better than he did in the first fight.

I 100% agree Max Holloway is the greatest FW of all time and top 12 GOAT. I also hope he wins the title and beats Volkanovski but how did he win the second fight

Sure Max won the first two rounds but Volk put it on in rounds 3-4-5. Landing good solid punching combinations meanwhile Max hit a shot every 30 seconds. I saw this in round 3 and onwards
Not only is it not a robbery, it's actually the correct decision. The commentary was extremely biased towards Holloway, who looked good in the first two rounds and then got outworked.

Volkanovski dug deep and recovered from two knockdowns, came back and won the last three rounds. An incredible comeback, but Volkanovski gets disrespected instead of revered.

Truthfully if there was ever a case for pride rules being applied to a fight it was this fight...because if you judged that fight as a whole there was no way max lost
the problem with that is pride used to weigh things heavily towards how things went at the end of the fight, and max did better earlier in the fight. That's the one issue i've always had with pride scoring. judge it as a whole sure, but weighing certain parts of the fight disproportionately when you have things like round endings and standups... yeah that no longer works

It wasn't a robbery

Holloway fans are just saying it is a robbery as a cope mechanism since they can't accept that he is 0-2 against Volk

Max has only himself to blame for that loss to Volk in the 2nd fight

Max seemed to make the adjustments in the 2nd fight for the 1st 2 rounds but then for the last 3 rounds, Volk then made the adjustments with the takedowns and striking and also Max gassed out in those last 3 rounds which costed him the fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back