1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Rewatched some Shogun fights,he looked the same level vs Lil Nog as vs Gus and Hendo2

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by CereserBr, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Al Overrated Blue Belt

Shogun vs Rampage and then retirement

2. benni8 White Belt

No No and No.

If I would have said to you after Shogun won the Grand Prix that Chael Sonnen would in the future choke him out, noone in their right mind could even imagine, how Chael would or could ever do it.

Fast forward to today.

I dont even judge shoguns performances anymore.

He is a shop warn old school berserker who has fell victim to father time, multiple injuries and mma evolving.

Nothing more nothing less.

3. SlicerDM Peace is a lie, there is only passion Banned

lol dying

4. UL no more yellows Banned

I didn't expect him to look that great against Lil Nog, one of the reasons being I wasn't overlooking Nog like how everyone else was.

I expected him to win but not for it to be easy, it was a close fight.

If Shogun still was with Kings Mma for the Hendo 1 fight, it would have looked a lot different, even in the 2nd fight I didn't think he looked that special, he was winning but was making a ton of mistakes and all it takes is 1 shot from Hendo and it's over and that's what happened.

Cant remember the Gus fight that much, hopefully he heals from his injuries and by some miracle returns back to his Pride form... like I said.. miracle otherwise we are just going to keep seeing the same Shogun, winning/losing but taking a ton of damage.

5. moreorless87 Straba

Really I think its a bit more complex than simply "better" or "worse".

I felt Shogun vs Rogerio recently was Shogun operating at close to his peak potential with his current physical limitations. Shogun vs Gus was I'd say not quite as focused or as well trained but physically still better off with a bit more speed.

One big issue as well is that we didn't really see Shogun tested on the ground at all vs Rogerio and I think that's been one of his big weaknesses recently. In the second Hendo fight he had Dan hurt badly twice but couldn't follow up and finish him on the ground in the way he did say vs Machida. Equally Chael held him down more easily than anyone in the past and he left a big opening when trying to escape.

There are two kinds of physical decline at play here as well I'd say. I think after his 3rd ACL sugery we saw Shogun lose mostly mobility and cardio, his reactions and hands were still fast but his footwork was much slower and cardio clearly worse(likely due to limited ability to train it). Since then though I think we've seen a more gradual dropoff in his handspeed and reactions as age and punishment take a toll on him. Losing his foot speed really increased the punishment he took as if you look at his career prior a lot of his defence depended of rapid forward/backward movement.

6. Jon Stark King in the North Platinum Member

When is he fighting rampage?