Rewatched some Shogun fights,he looked the same level vs Lil Nog as vs Gus and Hendo2

CereserBr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Id say he looked pretty good in this 3 ones, despite losing to Hendo and Gus.
Looked the same level even though he trained in Brazil for the last 2.

Of course in his last fights he was bad versus Chael and OSP but i think Shogun still has it. I hope after his fight with Rampage that he drops down to 185 and continues with Kings MMA... Maybe we will see a Shogun contender at 185, who knows...

I hope for a ko of rampage then retirement, but if he kos page I can't see him hanging them up

I thought he looked decent against Gus; I gave him the first round, but then he slowed down big time and ate some big shots in rounds two and three. He looked good against Hendo the second time until he ate that sneeker punch. Against OSP, eh, he tried jumping in and paid the price. Against Sonnen I feel Shogun kinda panicked, like, he got taken down and was like 'Fuck, I am going to lose this round unless I get up right now.'

He definitely has enough left for some legend fights. I have zero desire to see him fight up and comers anymore but Shogun vs Rampage or Cro Cop? Absolutely

I think in vs. Lil Nog II he looked better than he has in a long time.

He definitely remembered he can use his kicks.

I'd like to see him fight Franklin for his last fight.

He will never go to 185 because it doesnt seem like he has the work ethic. Happens with prodigies, things come so easy for them when they are young that they don't develope the work ethic.

I'm honestly not looking for anymore legends match ups just because they're legends. If it makes sense, then cool.

Look at Mir and AA. Most people have AA as the legit number 1 contender but were calling for his retirement a while ago.

Same with Mur.

Shogun is younger than both those guys.

And just look at how many rematches he has been in already: Forrest, Lyoto, Coleman, Hendo, Lil Nog, Reem.

That's almost half his career right there solely on matching and rematching.

I thought he was good, but out of shape against Gus.

I thought he looked really stupid against Henderson the second time. No head movement, just standing right in front of that right hand for 10 second periods over and over. Henderson doesn't go for TD's, can't kick, and doesn't do much with his left hand.... I don't know how you can not put your entire gameplan on staying away from his one weapon.

Shogun's done. He just beat another shot fighter. I love the guy, too, and that's not just a Sherdogger trying to reinforce his stance artificially. Him and Wand are my guys forever - but I can't stand watching him fight. He's bad, he's out of shape, his chin is gone, movement, his game is rusty as I'm certain he doesn't train enough, and can't do what he used to...... Its like being a Faces fan and waking up to The Great American Songbook 30 years later.

I thought he looked really stupid against Henderson the second time. No head movement, just standing right in front of that right hand for 10 second periods over and over. Henderson doesn't go for TD's, can't kick, and doesn't do much with his left hand.... I don't know how you can not put your entire gameplan on staying away from his one weapon.

Shogun's done. He just beat another shot fighter. I love the guy, too, and that's not just a Sherdogger trying to reinforce his stance artificially. Him and Wand are my guys forever - but I can't stand watching him fight. He's bad, he's out of shape, his chin is gone, movement, his game is rusty as I'm certain he doesn't train enough, and can't do what he used to...... Its like being a Faces fan and waking up to The Great American Songbook 30 years later.

Man, that a cold, hard dose of reality from a fan.

I have no idea what the hell the Faces are though.

Shogun is moving out to California to train exclusively for KINGS. That's what Eduardo said on here.

I want to see how he does against Rampage this time around. He can still win a few more fights before calling it quits.

Man, that a cold, hard dose of reality from a fan.

I have no idea what the hell the Faces are though.

If you only know of Rod Stewart as what he's been since about 1980, and if you like classic rock, check them out. Great band for a few years.

I'm honestly not looking for anymore legends match ups just because they're legends. If it makes sense, then cool.

Look at Mir and AA. Most people have AA as the legit number 1 contender but were calling for his retirement a while ago.

Same with Mur.

Shogun is younger than both those guys.

And just look at how many rematches he has been in already: Forrest, Lyoto, Coleman, Hendo, Lil Nog, Reem.

That's almost half his career right there solely on matching and rematching.

Same. I'd rather him fight someone else than Rampage again.

I'm not into watching legends wreck their brains for the rest of their lives when there's nothing left to gain, either. That shit is cool in golf, I love the oldtimers, but I'd rather just see them submission wrestle, or something that won't fuck them up more.

Shogun wasnt even gassed at the end of the third, he was moving well on his feet even in the very last minute. Rogan was just exaggerating like usual just because Shogun was losing to a better fighter.

Shogun was in a better shape against Gus than in most of his UFC fights.

Id say he looked pretty good in this 3 ones, despite losing to Hendo and Gus.
Looked the same level even though he trained in Brazil for the last 2.

Of course in his last fights he was bad versus Chael and OSP but i think Shogun still has it. I hope after his fight with Rampage that he drops down to 185 and continues with Kings MMA... Maybe we will see a Shogun contender at 185, who knows...

MMA fans are very quick on the draw to call a guy passed his prime or slowing down just because a fighter has some losses and bad performances. It was the same Shogun as we saw in Gus, Hendo 2 and Rogerio and every fight in between. He performed better in some of those fights because he was better prepared and probably had a better camp.

Reality of the situation and this is coming from a huge Shougn fan that was watched him pre-Pride. Shogun has never been a fighter that was above his competition and better then most of his peers, although his reputation is that. In other words, he's not as good as his reputation indicates and a lot of that comes form his run in Pride.

As for now? The guy is ranked top 10 on every mma ranking and if you looked behind him there isn't much to challenge him. He's continuing to fight so we will most likely be a top 10 guy for now. As for whats ahead of him?? Well that remains to be seen. There are some very tough fights for him from champ to #7, some winnable fights but I dont favor him in most of those.

Shogun is moving out to California to train exclusively for KINGS. That's what Eduardo said on here.

I want to see how he does against Rampage this time around. He can still win a few more fights before calling it quits.

Ok! I wasnt sure what his plans are but a move to Kings is the best thing he can do if he's making any commitments to fight and stay relevant. It was clear in his fight with Rogerio that Kings is very beneficial. He came in better shape, moved better etc but what was the most beneficial that I saw was the corner from Cordeiro. It was the first time in I dont know how long I saw Shogun take advice from his corner, and then implement it well and win the fight based on that.

He shouldn't have much problems with Rampage, he wont wreck him this time but should win. The fight I would like to see him in would be vs Glover, thats if he wins vs Rampage or whoever he fights.

He was winning over Hendo until getting caught, for sure.

Lol Man, Damn, haha!

Lil Nog is not that shot, he beat Tito and Rashad pretty good before losing to Rumble.

And yes, Shogun is not the same, but hes not done, c'mon! The guy still has some fights and i would like to see him give 185 a try! imagine the macthups:

vs bisping, vs machida, vs mousasi, vs belfort, vs franklin, vs silva just to name a few!

Ok! I wasnt sure what his plans are but a move to Kings is the best thing he can do if he's making any commitments to fight and stay relevant. It was clear in his fight with Rogerio that Kings is very beneficial. He came in better shape, moved better etc but what was the most beneficial that I saw was the corner from Cordeiro. It was the first time in I dont know how long I saw Shogun take advice from his corner, and then implement it well and win the fight based on that.

He shouldn't have much problems with Rampage, he wont wreck him this time but should win. The fight I would like to see him in would be vs Glover, thats if he wins vs Rampage or whoever he fights.

Dont like to see him vs Glover, Maybe Glover beats him good, dont know... Im not giving Shogun much of a chance against the top 5 guys at 205 so... Would like to see him at 185;

And, just for your above post, i disagree: I think Shogun was, for a while, ahead his competition: To win that 2005 grand prix and to dismantle Machida for the first time, showed that Shogun was truly special!

Back