Rewatched Silva/Sonnen UFC 117

How many times are we going to see threads like this?

Silva 'huggers suck him off...Sonnen haters pile on. Move on, people.

Just reread this thread and found myself recording notes. Not sure why, but i figure i will share.

First: Why is this guy so unsure of himself? Either post the thread and stick to it, or be unsure and post nothing. Stop being a pussy.

So, from my scratchings:

Forgot Chael's initial success? Is this guy on drugs?

10-8? Okay he really is on drugs.

Maybe he just woke up from his drug coma, and that's why he's posting this garbage 3 years too late.

Whatever, this thread is still better than 90% of the threads on this forum.

Such a classic thread.

I don't really think anyone gives a fuck about your opinion on this fight, cause it's been talked over to death...

Jesus Christ this forum is full of genuine assholes.

just goes to show you how dumb sonnen is won 23 mins of the fight but still lost

Jesus Christ this forum is full of genuine assholes.

Mate, imagine everyone made a thread on their round by round breakdown of an old fight they've just watched. Especially the first Sonnen Silva fight... Don't like the forum? Just leave, simple really.

Mate, imagine everyone made a thread on their round by round breakdown of an old fight they've just watched. Especially the first Sonnen Silva fight... Don't like the forum? Just leave, simple really.

Mate, imagine if everyone was as big of a douche bag as you.

Just rewatched the first Silva/Sonnen fight and found myself recording notes. Not sure why, but I figure I will share.

First: The resounding thoughts - Silva is incredibly resilient, Sonnen's gastank is deep, and Sonnen's wrestling is top-notch.

So, from my scratchings:

We tend to forget but Sonnen's initial success, right away in the first round, was via a strike. Truly, Sonnen owned Silva as far as striking goes in this fight.

As I watched, it occurred to me why Sonnen's fights entertain while some GSP fights do not despite similarity. Sonnen is so so active. I am not saying that he throws deathbombs but he is constantly throwing something.

I honestly think the first four rounds could have been scored 10-8 in favor of Sonnen.

During the 2nd round, Sonnen kept smacking Silva's ears without response. This is amazing. Not for Sonnen's effort. But for Silva's tolerance. Silva truly proved himself a machine during this fight. Most of Sonnen's strikes were far from devastating. But Silva's durability was, nonetheless, monumental.

During the 2nd and 3rd rounds, I discovered that Sonnen's biggest weakness was his ineffective use of elbows. In fact, I think Silva may have done more damage with his from the bottom. Sonnen is going to need to put some hate behind those elbows should he hope to have any chance against JBJ.

The first, I don't know, 40 seconds or so of the 4th round were great. Like MMA Hall of Fame worthy. That was good, competitive stuff.

And then, in the same round, the most amazing moment of the night occurred (aside, of course, from the submission). Sonnen completed one of the most sick takedowns I have ever seen. It was like a double-legged from the bottom. So, a sweep slash Greco takedown all-in-one. Such an unappreciated moment of the fight.

As the fight continued, I was most impressed by how effective a technique the buttefly guard is when executed by a master like Silva.

And then, let's not forget, the 5th round started with Sonnen rocking Silva. Via striking. I am so impressed with Sonnen's ability to sort of discretely land effective shots. On the feet, and via wrestling, Sonnen clearly won. He just didn't win the fight. It is what it is.

Such a classic bout.

Sneaky troll is sneaky

Man, so many haters replying to my post.

I am trying to be objective.

There is so much uncertainty when it comes to performance enhancers that I don't even factor them anymore. I mean, can anyone name a fighter they are sure is clean. Seriously, SURE?

Don't answer that. I don't want to digress.

The most resounding thing about this fight, to me, is Silva's resiliency. He took alot of punishment. And just continued on.

And the one thing most overlooked about this fight is Sonnen's sick takedown from the bottom in the fourth round. Jut masterful wrestling.

Please let this discussion focus on the fight, and not the semantics.

It's hard to discuss anything Sonnen did in that fight because Anderson was clearly hurt. You could tell how inactive Anderson was from the bottom he is usually much more active then that.

The takedown Chael got in the 4th was not masterful it was Anderson giving it to him. Watch it again, Anderson literally does nothing to try and stop it he just lets himself go back. When I was watching the fight I was in shock I didn't understand why he just let himself fall back.

When Anderson came out with the rib injury there was no doubt in my mind he was telling the truth. The second fight only reassured all of that.

It's hard to discuss anything Sonnen did in that fight because Anderson was clearly hurt. You could tell how inactive Anderson was from the bottom he is usually much more active then that.

The takedown Chael got in the 4th was not masterful it was Anderson giving it to him. Watch it again, Anderson literally does nothing to try and stop it he just lets himself go back. When I was watching the fight I was in shock I didn't understand why he just let himself fall back.

When Anderson came out with the rib injury there was no doubt in my mind he was telling the truth. The second fight only reassured all of that.

Anderson is actually not very active off his back, he's never had a very active guard.

One of my favorite fights ever. I was in awe at Sonnen holding his own standing up, and mauling him on the ground, and even more at awe at Silvas comeback.

There is a reason why one is the GOAT, and the other has been the number two middleweight for about 3 years. Both are great, especially Silva.

You have some weird opinions!

1. The first part of 4th round was a sloppy striking match. Exciting but not exactly hall of fame worthy.

2. Sonnen didn't "truly owned" Silva at striking. Beat him no doubt but it was competitive as Silva earned a knockdown of his own in the fourth. Silva truly owned Griffin at striking and GSP truly owned Hardy at grappling.

3. Sonnen doesn't have the length to use elbow effectively at all against Silva. He was in the guard the whole time.

4. The takedown by Sonnen was the most sick takedown you've ever seen????????

5. And Sonnen clearly won but lost the fight?????

Not trying to be offensive or what, but it's a very bad attempt at been objective! Facts are objective, but your post is full of opinions.

Sonnen hate is kinda ridiculous, but it's mostly by those who have a firm grasp on Silva's nuts and a loose grasp on reality.

Does anybody else feel that Chael doesn't get the credit or respect he deserves? He is legit. I can't stand when people bring up the Jeremy Horn losses.Their is no shame in getting beat by Jeremy. Jeremy holds victorys over Chuck,Forrest,Court Magee,Josh Burkman,Dean Lister and others.

One of my favorite parts of that fight was watching Anderson trying to be as ninja as possible in the moments he was standing. We rarely get to see Anderson actually fight standing up, NEVER get to see him actually try to defend himself, it was beautiful to see the best fighter in the world give it all he had.

Back