Rewatched on mute. Beniel won against MJ

THIS

Also I'm tired of the rewatched on mute bullshit. If you can not tell what you are seeing for yourself because an announcer is being biased then you don't know the sport well enough to have an opinion. There are bias commentators in every sport.

Exactly...

So if I tell you a shit sandwich is really a turkey sandwich, are you gonna eat it? Or do I have to scream it at you a few times first?
It's not the same. If they only talk about how amazing one fighter is, you're automatically going to believe that the other guy is losing because he isn't doing anything worth mentioning.

What's so hard to understand? The idea is people are swayed by biased commentary. The commentary in that fight was about as one-sided as it gets. I laughed out loud at one point when the announcers were praising MJ's ability to gauge distances while he was coming up short on most of his punches.
What they actually said was that he had gotten very good at controlling distance to prevent the takedown. Which he did....again...exceptionally well because of that. Darush's first TD attempt was so bad due to the distance that he fell to the mat without even making contact with MJ. And admitted after the fight that be had expected to be able to get the takedowns and had to change up what he was doing in the third round because he hadn't been able to get them.

Last edited:
MJ deserved the decision, but it's not a cardio competition or a race, he needs to focus more on finishing fights and doing damage before he turns into Jorge Masvidal after winning the first round.

It's not the same. If they only talk about how amazing one fighter is, you're automatically going to believe that the other guy is losing because he isn't doing anything worth mentioning.
If you are extremely impressionable, have poor vision, and don't know the sport. But what if you can form your own conclusions?

No I wont.

I could see this working if your listening to the commentary over a radio and not able to watch the fight.

A fight I'm watching? Na, I'm capable of forming my own opinion regardless of what someone else is telling me..

MJ deserved the decision, but it's not a cardio competition or a race, he needs to focus more on finishing fights and doing damage before he turns into Jorge Masvidal after winning the first round.
Damage or finishing fights wouldn't be necessary if judges knew how to judge rounds. It's a ten point must system. When someone wins the first two they should get the win.

Also not everyone pulls a Masvidal. Sometimes the desperate fighter in what should be a fairly compotabke talent level fighters simply gets the last round because he's going for broke. Doesn't mean the other fighter coasted. MJ didn't want to abandon his game plan.

Although I do agree that anything short of a finish obviously puts you at the mercy of the judges. But that can't be avoided sometimes if you are fighting smart against a talented guy. A fighter shouldn't have to take stupid risks because he has to worry about bad decisions.

If you are extremely impressionable, have poor vision, and don't know the sport. But what if you can form your own conclusions?
Biased commentary did sway opinions last night. I'm not saying it swayed yours in particular, but it happens. I wasn't swayed, but I knew it was biased. If a casual fan is watching, and they hear a commentator drone on about how the other guy is winning, when the viewer is unsure themselves, they are more likely to agree with the opinion of someone they perceive to be a legitimate authority. Thus, they have been swayed.

Never understood the "rewatched on mute" shit.

You get the fun of watching a fight three times. First, just listen to the commentary, 30-27 and all rounds followed the same narrative. Second, fightmetric counting where the 2nd round was the blowout. Third, visually watching the fight, where the 2nd round was the closest.

No I wont.

I could see this working if your listening to the commentary over a radio and not able to watch the fight.

A fight I'm watching? Na, I'm capable of forming my own opinion regardless of what someone else is telling me..
All I'm saying is that commentary can sway people, especially casual fans, you don't need to pull the "I'm Mr. Mentally Tough guy over here". We get it, you do your own grocery shopping. Congratulations.

Being impressionable doesn't have a lot to do with it, just simple psychology that affects ALL human beings. When you have something that's rather subjective in scoring (like MMA) and has so much going on at such a fast pace (like MMA) a commentator can do a lot by highlighting the aspects of one fighter and putting your focus on them. Even if that focus is minimal, in a particularly close fight it can make a difference.

it was a shit fight that was close, but that doesn't make it inherently hard to score. 29-28 MJ was easy to come by for most.

Let me just say that it was NOT A ROBBERY. The commentary was VERY bias for Michael Johnson. The most controversial round being round 2, I think Beniel actually landed the better strikes in round 2 which is what the judges saw. MJ missed most of his strikes and was focused on stuffing the takedown, he didn't actually score any real points in round 2 unlike Beniel. Try rewatch round 2 on mute yourself.

I watched it at a bar without sound and MJ was the winner. When i saw it was split i thought, oh u gotta be fucking kidding.

Got it, so you know MJ won but are upset about the commentary so you're giving it to Beneil.

I watched the fight on mute live, and it wasn't even close. I picked and was rooting for Beneil, but MJ clearly won.

It was so obvious that Australian betting sites paid the people who bet on MJ because they couldn't rob the fans like the judges did. They are paying people that they don't have to because the decision was that bad. AFAIK that's never happened before. That's how bad this decision was

https://twitter.com/sportsbetcomau

No, I don't know MJ won. I was rooting for him and thought he was whiffing or short on the majority of his punches. He was throwing punches from so far out (due to the threat of the takedown) he looked like Holly Holm in her last fight where everyone was saying she was 6 inches short on most of her punches
I'm actually very hard of hearing so it's typical for me to not hear the commentary while watching fights. The closed captions are often quite a bit behind the actual action. Some of the things they were saying were ridiculous.

The opinions of a betting site are immaterial.

I get the concept...Just don't understand why someone can't decide who won the fight even with horrible commentary.

If you can't decide who won just because someone is talking in the background then your opinion probably shouldn't matter anyway.

That's why the judges opinions are the only ones that matter and all the sheep on here are crying about it. :)

Oh, you mean the "USA, USA" crowd rooting against the villainous Arab?
The one wearing an American flag?

Like they booed Glover? For beating the guy singing Rocky Top? Don't post on drugs.

Oh, and Iranians aren't Arabs so before you imply others are bigoted, look inside yourself.

Last edited:
I guess the punches that MJ threw after Beneil would jab him, people thought he landed those missed punches.

Back