Rewatched Castillo vs Mayweather 1

I think a lot of people think Oscar is winning the rounds because he's roughing up Floyd on the ropes... He's not though. Floyd is the best I've seen when on the ropes.

I think that's also why a lot of people thought Castillo got robbed in the first fight with Floyd. Castillo would slam body shots on Floyd while he was pinned against the ropes but most of them were blocked, it just looked good to observers because Floyd didn't throw much back in these situations.

Floyd handled Oscar pretty good. Especially in the 2nd half of the fight when Oscar lost stamina. Oscar wasn't doing any damage or landing anything meaningful when he had Floyd on the ropes.
Maidana came much closer to beating Floyd.

yes he did great adjusting but I still end up with a draw no matter what. Good fight

Maidana came closer in the sense that he hurt Floyd and Floyd seemed in more trouble but when I rewatch that fight I always end up giving it to Floyd. Seems clear which rounds he won. Oscar fight was just weird to score sometimes.

I thought he edged it on the cards and beat Mayweather. To Mayweather's credit--iirc--he more clearly handled the rematch in his favour, but that first fight is one of those cases where Castillo could have gone down as something special with that W. Floyd would have had a great career regardless of winning or not that evening.

I thought he edged it on the cards and beat Mayweather. To Mayweather's credit--iirc--he more clearly handled the rematch in his favour, but that first fight is one of those cases where Castillo could have gone down as something special with that W. Floyd would have had a great career regardless of winning or not that evening.

Castillo could have pressed in the opening 5 rounds more than he did, though it's easy saying that when i'm not Castillo. There's no way this fight was a robbery though.

I've just finished rewatching Floyd vs Gatti before writing this and man... that was brutal to watch.

I've just finished rewatching Floyd vs Gatti before writing this and man... that was brutal to watch.

This beating was coherent careerwise for Floyd (first career PPV if I remember well), but man, it’s painful ro watch.

Last edited:
It’s been about 11 years since I’ve watched it, and I wasn’t really keeping score, but it felt like a very close fight to me. It could’ve been a draw, I definitely wouldn’t call it a robbery though. . . I can’t help but wonder how much it would’ve effected Floyd financially and popularity wise in the future if that decision didn’t go his way. I feel like being undefeated and who’s gonna take his 0 was always one of the biggest selling points in his PPV’s. Especially post ODLH

Too many people don’t get the sheer incoherence of calling a close fight a « robbery ».

Too many people don’t get the sheer incoherence of calling a close fight a « robbery ».
Ya'll try way too hard to downplay this fight. Close fights can have a clear winner when one guy can only feasibly be given 5 rounds at most.

When it's the other way around and Floyd wins a close fight clearly, it's listed as domination by Floyd.

It is what it is. Floyd got off nothing offensively in the fight. He said after he had a bad shoulder, which as we have seen from other fighters that have also said they have bad shoulders, most notably Pac vs Floyd and recently Loma vs Teofimo, when fighters have a bad shoulder they don't throw many punches.

Floyd had an immediate rematch with JLC and won clearly so I don't understand why so many posters have to desperately convince everyone that Floyd either drew the first fight or won it. He got worked over by a great fighter when he had a bad shoulder. It really doesn't affect his greatness or downplay his great career.

Ya'll try way too hard to downplay this fight. Close fights can have a clear winner when one guy can only feasibly be given 5 rounds at most.

When it's the other way around and Floyd wins a close fight clearly, it's listed as domination by Floyd.

It is what it is. Floyd got off nothing offensively in the fight. He said after he had a bad shoulder, which as we have seen from other fighters that have also said they have bad shoulders, most notably Pac vs Floyd and recently Loma vs Teofimo, when fighters have a bad shoulder they don't throw many punches.

Floyd had an immediate rematch with JLC and won clearly so I don't understand why so many posters have to desperately convince everyone that Floyd either drew the first fight or won it. He got worked over by a great fighter when he had a bad shoulder. It really doesn't affect his greatness or downplay his great career.

Dude. I just said close fights aren’t robberies. You’re the one trying hard to convince people he clearly lost a fight in which he bagged the first 4 rounds and several others were very competitive.

I watched that fight without commentary and to me Castillo won closely, but the match was very ugly.. Lots of hugging and many under belt punches. I think the reason why the refs gave it to Mayweather was the fact that he was still undefeated, had big hype behind him, shoulder injury and Castillo at that time already had like 4 loses or smth, so having really close fight i would maybe give it to mayweather as well. He certainly won the rematch though so gotta give him respect for going there again with Castillo after such a close fight.

It was close, but I think that’s more attributable to his acclimation to the higher weight classes and uncle Roger’s new coaching style than it mostly being Castillo imo.

He needed that transition though, because he knew his old formula wasn’t going to work anymore. He didn’t have the same firepower and couldn’t absorb the same blows. Jorge was an excellent champion, but he seemed to give Mayweather more problems than I would’ve expected. I think that may be why.

Scored it 7-5 for Castillo years ago, but I have no problem with someone giving Floyd the decision. Great fight. Might be worth another close watch so I can score it again.

Ok, just watched this fight. My take on it:

1- It wasn't that close. I gave 7 rounds to Floyd. And honestly, Floyd is a much better boxer than Castillo, so even if it was that close, i'd still be ok with Floyd winning.

2- People get overly excited with the possibility of Floyd losing. Any match where the opponent puts up a fight people tend to claim Floyd lost.

3- People are easily impressed by quantity over quality.

4- The commentators were brutally biased towards Castillo, often ignoring the clean shots Floyd was landing to rave about everything Castillo supposedly landed.

5- Crowd would cheer everytime Castillo came close to land anything. You just can't get a more biased environment than this.

6- Castillo spent the night hitting air and arms. Did a decent job at hitting the side of the body, but barely landed any clean head punches. A lot of work, a lot of quantity, but not that much quality. That's why Floyd won.

7- 80% of the time a clean head shot was landed, it was landed by Floyd. And i mean a shot where you can clearly see the head snapping back from the power and clean connection. Castillo barely connected with Floyd's head. Floyd was just slipping those punches. Very little was landing clean, but people counted them as clean shots, even though they weren't.

8- Floyd fights in a way that leads people to believe he is getting hit when he is not. Same in the Conor fight. People thought Conor did very well, and landed this and that, then you watch the fight from the crowd angle and he wasn't landing shit. So when an opponent throws a lot, it gives the illusion of connecting, when it didn't. That's why you rarely see Floyd's head snapping back from the power. Those punches aren't connecting at all.

maidana beat the shit out of him, even if was difficult to score as a boxing bout

Clear win for Castillo the first fight, Clear win for Floyd on the rematch.
The Oscar fight was a draw for me but I’m less clear on that as the Castillo win, DLH was either a Floyd win or a draw.

every other fight in Floyd’s career has been a clear Floyd win.

Back