Revisiting The Matrix: Overrated and outdated?

Robocop 2 was better than Matrix 3 and maybe Matrix 2. I would probably watch Predator 2 over those movies. The first Matrix tripped me out the first time I watched it. It was a great movie.

Still think the first one is great. The second one had some great action but was a pretty wack movie overall. The 3rd one just sucked.

Loved all three and even blogged about the philosophy. So yeah, I drank the kool-aid and liked it.

Last night I watched a symposium on Japan's falling population. The last speaker claimed Japan is planning on having robots replaced people/workers. It doesn't take much imagination to think that one day, if the robots gain sentience, that there will be war between humans and robots.

I enjoyed all three but I don't deny that the second and third are lacking compared to the first.

One of the concepts I found lost by most in this trilogy was that there was no unplugging from the Matrix. There were only differing levels of consciousness within it.

So many seem to wrongly think Neo and the rebels unplugged and were waging a physical war. They did not. They could not. It was not possible. A body cannot grow from infancy and then be viable as an adult with simple muscle stimulation after the fact.

The Matrix, as a computer system was always trying to maximize its efficiency. Maximize its energy source. Humans who struggled with an ideal world, and fought it became deficient batteries and died. to try and keep those humans engaged the Matrix offered them a different level of artificial reality, one where the humans could strive, fight and love and feed their need to rebel against their constraints. the "unplugged" program.

When people complain about the Zion scene looking like crap, it was supposed to look like crap. It is a computer trying to imagine and give an orgy to humans to experience.

There was never any physical escape from the Matrix. Only the gaining of control of systems as the human minds grew in that environment in relation to the computer ones. The computer sought harmonization and voluntary merger with the human minds and always struggled with why humans fought against voluntarily committing themselves to it by giving up their freedom when what they were being traded should be perceived as nirvana.

Matrix 1 was okay, the concept and plot of the movie
were stronger than the fx.

The other 2 sucked imo.

I absolutely loved the first Matrix. I don't even acknowledge next two, I hated it.

considering the advances we've had in cinema in the last 15 years, it holds up pertty well IMO.

The first one introduced a very mind blowing idea to the general audience.

I don't think the makers of the movie were prepared for how successful it would be and made the second and third just to make boatloads of money.

They made NEO way too powerful at the end of the first (where he could fly)

What "Sucked" about the second one?
Everyone liked it until the 3rd fell flat

hard to make a good number 3. Godfather part III, hangover III, jurassic park III, back to the future part III, all sucked.

Come back to ROCKY III's apartment, sucka. Show you what a real sequel look like, fool.

I loved the first and third. I like the second quite a bit. As a whole, it's likely my favourite trilogy of all time.

Anyone watch The Matrix recently? It's pretty underwhelming. now that fx is pretty dated. now that we are no longer blown away by them it makes the weak acting, plot holes, and bad characters(Trinity falls in love with neo when they have no chemistry?wt?) more obvious. I only saw the first one. I thought it was good but the characters I just didnt care about and story was something I thought was weak. Another annoying aspect of The Matrix is that conspiracy morons love to quote it and spout off their the world is a lie theories.

discuss

the first matrix is still really fucking good. but of course the first time you see it, it blows your mind. very good.

One of the concepts I found lost by most in this trilogy was that there was no unplugging from the Matrix. There were only differing levels of consciousness within it.

So many seem to wrongly think Neo and the rebels unplugged and were waging a physical war. They did not. They could not. It was not possible. A body cannot grow from infancy and then be viable as an adult with simple muscle stimulation after the fact.

The Matrix, as a computer system was always trying to maximize its efficiency. Maximize its energy source. Humans who struggled with an ideal world, and fought it became deficient batteries and died. to try and keep those humans engaged the Matrix offered them a different level of artificial reality, one where the humans could strive, fight and love and feed their need to rebel against their constraints. the "unplugged" program.

When people complain about the Zion scene looking like crap, it was supposed to look like crap. It is a computer trying to imagine and give an orgy to humans to experience.

There was never any physical escape from the Matrix. Only the gaining of control of systems as the human minds grew in that environment in relation to the computer ones. The computer sought harmonization and voluntary merger with the human minds and always struggled with why humans fought against voluntarily committing themselves to it by giving up their freedom when what they were being traded should be perceived as nirvana.

So them being "unplugged" is just them going into another form/phase of the matrix? And they never truly are their physical selves?

Back