Revisiting The Matrix: Overrated and outdated?

Remember seeing part 2 at a midnight showing. At the first "Mr. Anderson", the entire audience lost it

Remember seeing part 2 at a midnight showing. At the first "Mr. Anderson", the entire audience lost it

Same here, that theater was packed. People were sitting on the stairs.

Part 1 was awesome to me, still is. Part 2 was still good, didn't really care for 3.

Saw the first one, got to the Architect scene in the second movie then never watched it again. That scene was enough for me not to give a shit anymore.

has any1 read the neuromancer by william gibson?

neuromancer-hu.jpg

tripping that movie still holds up and is an amazing movie

Yes to both.

Still a pretty good action/cyber punk movie. There are just many things the Matrix has against it.

-Effects are outdated.

-Sequels sucked.

-We have more acces all of the HK films or films like Ong Back and the Raid just leave the fight choreography of the matrix in the dust.

-LOTR just took the spot as the next big trilogy, after the Matrix looked so cool compared to the phantom menace people were calling it the next Star Wars.

-A lot of the Fashion looks outdated, I mean the Matrix played and influence in the look and redesign of films like the X-men and comic characthers at the time, wich moved away from the "silly spandex", but now films have moved inserted color in to the designs it is the leather and trench coats what looks silly.

Last edited:
First film was, is, likely will remain epic to me. Even if you don't personally like it, I think you have to respect the hell out of it as a game changer. The Matrix really ushered in a whole generation of action films with a certain style and to this day, you see it's influence.

For me, it's a great concept. But some films are a cool concept that never lives up to its potential. The Matrix is not like that- it is very well executed and the entertainment value is quite high. I just feel it would have been better as a standalone film. The note on which it ends with Neo putting the machines/agents on notice and then flying while that Rage song blares is a pretty ideal ending there and then.

Reloaded was fun but ultimately didn't bring too much to the table. And Revolutions was just a major disappointment. But the first film is a classic as far as I'm concerned.

Reloaded did not suck by any means

Couldn't get through 2&3. Original holds up for me just fine.

Reloaded did not suck by any means

Yeah people tend to loop it in with Revolutions and sort of forget that it was pretty damn entertaining. It's just easy to make fun of because of The Architect scene being sort of a major WTF moment and getting parodied a lot. I don't put it in the league of the first but it's definitely pretty good.

It's not a very cerebral movie, but the subway fight scene is one of the G.O.A.T.s. And I'm not sure such a landmark, influential movie can feel outdated. That movie was a pioneer in action choreography and effects.

I will say that the green overlay and the high contrast shots feel outdated, however. But when doesn't the cinematography of a 15 year old film feel outdated?

First one was great.

The Wachowskis had too much autonomy going into the sequels. They needed someone to come in and cut away all the self-indulgence. Having someone explain things to the audience is the worst way to convey ideas in film and that was the foundation of the last two matrix movies.

To me, 2nd and 3rd movies are just one really long movies chopped in two. Like Kill Bill vol.1 &2.

First one is great in every regard. 2nd and 3rd felt tacked on, exist for the sake of demand, so even though they were done well technically (action, sfx) but the story lack soul and was too convoluted especially with the architect.

It's good in a popcorn action movie kind of way. It's silly when people think it's deep or intelligent.

This. The action was good, and still is since there's not many good action movies the past 10 years IMO.

As far as the philosophy behind the movie... Ehhh, fuck it.

It's not a very cerebral movie, but the subway fight scene is one of the G.O.A.T.s. And I'm not sure such a landmark, influential movie can feel outdated. That movie was a pioneer in action choreography and effects.

I will say that the green overlay and the high contrast shots feel outdated, however. But when doesn't the cinematography of a 15 year old film feel outdated?

4pJl0Hp.gif

Never had the desire to watch The Matrix after it aired in theaters. Thus never caught the sequels. Keanu is devilishly handsome though.

Back