Revisiting The Matrix: Overrated and outdated?

I watched it recently on cable and thought it held up. It's a fun popcorn movie.

Was awesome when it came out. Still awesome today.

matrix pretty much ripped off allegory of the cave by plato

Just, no. The Wachowski's didn't read Plato and go "Kung-fu steam punk sci-fi thriller".

Thread is terrible, btw. The Matrix is a classic.

Special effects are dated but that's understandable. The action scenes were also pretty dated and I can forgive the movie for that.

What's left is the plot and character development. Character development was lacking. The plot was alright and the idea was cool but not something incredible. It was something new-ish and whenever a new-ish or interesting idea pops up in a movie, as long as it's not some obscure movie, the public get excited about it.

I say new-ish because it's probably the first time some people have seen this idea but it's been done in literature before. Attach a new-ish idea to an action flick and you have hype. Once the aura of "OMG I've never seen this idea before" wears off, it's a pretty mediocre flick.

No matter how crappy things were in the movie, the revealing of the matrix after neo wakes up is still goat movie mind blowing.

neo_matrix_real_world.jpg

Retroactively decrying the Matrix as an action movie with dated effects and wooden acting is missing how perfectly it captured the zeitgeist at the end of the millennium.

Maybe it wasn't the best, but it was certainly seminal. Plus... Bullet Time.

Poor revisionist thread, I mean it's been almost 16 years since the movie came out and literally dozens of films afterwards have spoofed/took inspiration from it since.

One of my GOAT movies btw.

Poor revisionist thread, I mean it's been almost 16 years since the movie came out and literally dozens of films afterwards have spoofed/took inspiration from it since.

One of my GOAT movies btw.

Agreed, these poor bastards are still violently defending the system.

first matrix was the ultimate cultural metaphor.

The freeway scene in part two was one of the best action sequences I have ever seen. Though part three was a minor disappointment, it's still decent action/sci if. ID grade the whole trilogy at a solid B

I watched it recently and enjoyed it more than I did when I saw it in the theater. The first time I watched it way back in the day, I walked away feeling a little underwhelmed for some reason. Not sure why.

But watching it again, I really do see now how great of a movie it is. Not only are the effects still pretty solid for the most part, but the action is fantastic and the overall visual look of the film is really pretty mindblowing. It's a gorgeous movie.

The 3rd movie that was to explain everything got too freaking weird. Talking about Neo's conversation with the old guy in the room with a ton of TV monitors.

I don't understand the hate. You think it would be easier to appreciate good choreography and wire tricks when CG is the norm now (and in the second two movies). Also, it's really amazing to think that Will Smith passed up the part for Wild Wild West.

The first one is a B+ movie, A- action movie.

The other ones were B+ action movies, and B- movies. They could have picked up where the first left off more smoothly for sure. The Wachovski 'its' had a decent idea, but then their potential fruityness started to show. None were 'bad' movies, imo.

I disagree. The 3rd one was really bad. Actually liked the second, but the 3rd one hurt it really bad since it is the second part of one movie really. The first can at least be a stand alone and I loved it.

And I think its funny people harp on this claiming it is not a clever film at all, just like they do with Nolan films and films like Donny Darko. Why do they always have to let everyone know they don't think those movies a deep or complex. I know its mostly because of the fanboys that can't stop talking about how great the movies are. Still, these movies are fairly original and do a good job of bringing some complexity and a little depth to them, sure they are not as intelligent as the fanboys claim but it is still there. A movie can have that, it doesn't have to be an Oscar winning brilliant movie to have that. I guess the anti-crowd is finally starting to irk me.

You guys are crazy. Matrix was the shit. Of course you can't compare it to newer movies with better special effects - the Matrix probably inspired those movies in some way.

The Matrix was a revolutionary movie.

No matter how crappy things were in the movie, the revealing of the matrix after neo wakes up is still goat movie mind blowing.

neo_matrix_real_world.jpg

I was totally baked when I watched it and I thought it might be real for a few intense minutes. Now I can't get past the fact that the Wachowski brothers are now brother and sister.

Back