Revisiting Lennox Lewis v Vitali Klitschko (2003)

I thought Vitali was going to win had it been allowed to go on. He was less tired, had been hurt and wobbled far fewer times, and looked to have way more gas in the tank whereas Lewis looked completely exhausted at the end.

His eye was kinda an issue in terms of letting it continue don't you think?

I didn't think the eye had to hold on much longer. When they called it I actually though Lewis' corner had pulled him out. Lewis was going to be out of there in the next round or so from what I was seeing, I'd never seen him so gassed before. If Vitali had continued to push the pace, Lewis was not coming out for the 9th in my view.

vitali_klitschko_2003_06_21.jpg

That is a fight ending injury if I've ever seen one.

vitali_klitschko_2003_06_21.jpg

That is a fight ending injury if I've ever seen one.

The fact that a past prime Lewis was able to do that to a young Vitali in six rounds says something about his greatness. Imagine if it went the full 12 round distance. Good stoppage.

The fact that a past prime Lewis was able to do that to a young Vitali in six rounds says something about his greatness. Imagine if it went the full 12 round distance. Good stoppage.

Except Lewis was not going more than another round or so with how exhausted he was. The last time I saw him so gassed out and wrecked was at the end of the Mercer fight.

I wanted sboone to explain his Vitali win but he left :(

That was an awesome brawl. I was at the edge of my seat the entire fight watching it live. Lewis was gassing really bad, but at the same time starting catch Vitali with huge shots. It would have been interesting to see how it would have played out without the cut. It was obviously a legit stoppage. Vitali would have looked like an extra from The Walking Dead after a few more rounds of that.

Ignorant of what?

You're ignoring the fact that Vitali's face was turned into lunch-meat by Lennox' fists.
There's no "yeah, but if..." in boxing.
It doesn't matter that Lewis exhausted himself, or whether he was up or down on the score cards when the fight ended.

Wlad has it all except for the competition. Lewis was fighting in the same division as Bowe, Holyfield, Tyson etc and he fought them all except for Bowe who blatantly ducked him. Wlad has.... Sultan Ibragimov and Eddie Chambers.

Damn Seano....bring the truth....folks ain't gonna like that...

Wlad has it all except for the competition. Lewis was fighting in the same division as Bowe, Holyfield, Tyson etc and he fought them all except for Bowe who blatantly ducked him. Wlad has.... Sultan Ibragimov and Eddie Chambers.

Lennox also fought and beat a prime Morrison, Donovan Ruddock, Bruno, Golota, Briggs, Mercer, Tua, etc. One hell of a resume along with the ones you mentioned except Bowe who ducked him.

Lennox ducking the rematch was a knock on his so called "legacy".

Back