Revisiting Lennox Lewis v Vitali Klitschko (2003)

Remember when Vitali didn't KO 100 year old Shannon the Cannon.

I remember someone who did, name is on the tip of my tongue...

Put Lennox and Vitali in the ring when they're both in their prime and Lennox wins easily.

That's all that counts.

Lennox is the last of the great heavyweights.

Not starting a different discussion but that's a bold statement considering Wladimir is already considered great by quite some people and still has some years left.

what blows my mind is how biased Larry Merchant was considering at the start of the broadcast he said Vitali was lumbering and slow and moved like a piece of construction equipment. I really dont know what HBO's problem was that night

IMO Vitali Klitschko won that fight.

137008263294.jpg

^ That doesn't quite break my spirit. Certainly doesn't change my opinion a bit.

Remember when Vitali didn't KO 100 year old Shannon the Cannon.

I remember someone who did, name is on the tip of my tongue...

I remember Shannon said post-fight that Vitali is the heaviest hitter he ever faced. Then he went on to spend two weeks in the hospital.

Shannon and Vitali looked like they were going to make out at all the pressers.

He probably doesn't remember fighting Lennox.

Wow...I till can't believe that was 10 years ago...how time flies.

Great fine regardless of who you thought won or was winning.

Do you have your own opinion on the Marquez-Pacquiao fights or do only the official results count?

Well three of the Pacquiao vs. Marquez fights actually went the scheduled distance whereas Klitschko vs. Lewis was stopped halfway through. You may have been better off comparing it to the Klitschko vs. Byrd fight where Vitali was well ahead on scorecards when he quit on his stool so, by your logic, it should be a Klitschko victory.

But as you said it is your opinion and you're entitled to it. Even if it is a bad opinion.

Not starting a different discussion but that's a bold statement considering Wladimir is already considered great by quite some people and still has some years left.

Wlad has it all except for the competition. Lewis was fighting in the same division as Bowe, Holyfield, Tyson etc and he fought them all except for Bowe who blatantly ducked him. Wlad has.... Sultan Ibragimov and Eddie Chambers.

Wlad has it all except for the competition. Lewis was fighting in the same division as Bowe, Holyfield, Tyson etc and he fought them all except for Bowe who blatantly ducked him. Wlad has.... Sultan Ibragimov and Eddie Chambers.

Holyfield & Tyson weren't in their prime

Holyfield was still a good win at that point too though

Wlad has Haye, Chagaev and Samuel Peter too

Holyfield & Tyson weren't in their prime

Holyfield was still a good win at that point too though

Wlad has Haye, Chagaev and Samuel Peter too

Thats a pretty weak resume for a guy with his talent. Its not his fault but still...

Lewis fought pretty much every big name you can think of in the 90s and 00s.

I was impressed by Lewis ability to adjust , he clearly underestimated Vitali but is able to pick it up once he realizes he is in with a tough opponent takes him a couple of rounds though.

exactly. He started to pump that jab much more effectively as the fight wore on. People forget that it had been a while since lewis fought someone that was bigger than him, not to mention he took the fight on 2 weeks notice.

The same could be same when comparing Leonard and Mayweather for example.
Mayweather didn't have the luck to have as good opponent in his "age".

For some reason though, I don't think you would argue the same way about Mayweather.

Anyhow, you can only beat the ones in front of you and I guess you agree with that.

Btw, I do think Wladimir is on his way to reach the same status as Lewis if he's not already there. But that's just my opinion.

He's behind Lewis unless something amazing happens.

I remember when I watched the fight I thought Klitschko was in control and going to win. Lewis looked uncomfortable.

Vitali did better then expected so it was overhyped. Lennox was at his highest weight ever. He battered Vitali and was taking over the fight. Vitali did well early.

Back