Revisiting 2009: Penn Vs. Melendez

I don't believe the common opponent in Sanchez is a very good measuring stick for this fight. On one hand Penn fought one of the most tactical and brilliant fights of his entire career that night against Sanchez. On the other hand Melendez came into his fight with Sanchez with his teeth already sunk into his mouthpiece before the bell even rang, and I believe had full intentions to play Sanchez' game. Melendez would have handily won all three rounds if he boxed cautiously and mixed in a takedown or two.

This would have been a great fight. I could see BJ winning a very close fight in 2009 but Gil today being better. Back in 08 and 09 I wanted to see Eddy Alvarez in that mix as well.

all this discussion just emphasizes how good edgar is and how well he matched up with bj
awesome competition

Melendez improved his striking around that time, maybe a bit later. He first showed that against Masvidal. So he was basically a wrestler with improving stand-up back then, a ideal fight for an in-shape Penn.

The Edgar, Florian & Aoki fights tell little of how that fight would've gone down, their styles are too far apart from Melendez's to Penn's and vice versa. Thomson is the closest to Penn of Gil's opponents, Sherk & Diego the closest to Gil.

Anyone who likes to throw down in the pocket and uses freestyle takedowns at LW should be too basic for a 2009 Penn. Too slick in the pocket, has always the punching power & chin edge, his TDD and ability to get up were too good.

Penn would beat him by decision

I think Penn of 2009 probably would on the average slightly win it against Melendez of 2009.

But best Penn vs best Melendez, then I think Melendez wins. Penn just doesn't have the cardio to go Melendez's pace and duration.

This. 09 was best for Penn, and I think 09 he would have won. By 2010 though I'd take Menendez

Peak Performance Penn? I don't think there's anyone at 155 or below that could withstand him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back