Revisiting 2009: Penn Vs. Melendez

Cylence

Flying Arlovski Belt
@purple
Reaction score
It was around 2009 that everybody and their mother was talking about the big lightweight fight that was Penn Vs. Aoki. However, after Aoki got played like a fiddle by Melendez and then starched by Alvarez the popular opinion was that of a Penn first round drubbing. I'm inclined to agree, but what if the lightweight bout to make in 2009 had been Penn Vs. Melendez?

That brings us to this thread. For Penn, 2009 was the peak of his lightweight career. He had never looked better in his tactical dissection of Florian and his brilliant domination of Sanchez. Not much more needs to be said about these fights because a picture is worth a thousand words. Someone please insert a heartbroken Florian and a Sanchez with a goats vagina about his eye. Thank you in advance.

On the flip side I personally believe Melendez was just then coming into his absolute prime as a fighter. No one knew it at the time, but now it's fairly obvious. The reason no one knew it at the time is because of the rocky 2008 Melendez had. He had sported a 1-2 record that year. Dropping a UD to Ishida in Japan, returning to the United States to TKO the unheralded Gabe Lemely, and then losing his Strikeforce lightweight crown to Thomson.

2009 seemed to light a fire under him though. Starting the year off with a KO of Rodrigo Damm, following it up with a third round stoppage of Ishida to avenge the first loss of his professional career, and then capping off the year by retrieving his championship against Thomson.

Knowing what we now know not only about Penn having trouble with Edgar and having his career sputter out of the sky, but also about Melendez going on an absolute tear against Aoki, Kawajiri, Masvidal, and capping off his trilogy in a winning effort against Thomson - how do you believe a Penn Vs. Melendez fight would have gone down around 2009?

I personally have Penn winning an extremely hard fought, but clear cut 3-2 UD.

How about you guys?

It would've been interesting, The current Melendez would wreck 09 Penn, but back then might be a bit closer as you suggested.

Marinovich Penn was a demigod

I would have Penn win that one. Melendez obviously takes it today though.

I think Penn of 2009 probably would on the average slightly win it against Melendez of 2009.

But best Penn vs best Melendez, then I think Melendez wins. Penn just doesn't have the cardio to go Melendez's pace and duration.

I know mma math obviously isn't the end all but with the way penn absolutely destroyed Sanchez and the way Melendez got wobbled by Sanchez I see no way a prime penn doesn't beat any version of Melendez.

I know mma math obviously isn't the end all but with the way penn absolutely destroyed Sanchez and the way Melendez got wobbled by Sanchez I see no way a prime penn doesn't beat any version of Melendez.

This is ridiculous even for mma math, though. Melendez fought Diegos fight and dominated it, though he did get caught in the process. Penn boxed up Diego, he didn't fight Diego's fight at all.

In 2009 I'd favor Penn. Gil is as legit as they come though, and he should definitely not be counted out

This is a prime example as to why MMAth is retarded.

This is ridiculous even for mma math, though. Melendez fought Diegos fight and dominated it, though he did get caught in the process. Penn boxed up Diego, he didn't fight Diego's fight at all.

In 2009 I'd favor Penn. Gil is as legit as they come though, and he should definitely not be counted out

No, Penn is just that much better than Diego. Melendez didn't show that. Penn outclassed him in every way.

No, Penn is just that much better than Diego. Melendez didn't show that. Penn outclassed him in every way.

Well yeah, Penn vs Sanchez was a totally lopsided fight and Diego had nothing. Penn fought smart and dominated. Gil fought a dumb fight, dominated Diego but got caught in a wild brawl in the process. What i'm saying is that comparing both of their Diego fights is meaningless as to who would win head to head

2009 Penn had the TDD to stop Nino's TD and had the better stand up IMO, plus the cardio to last 5 rounds. Back then I'd say Penn in a tough fight, but with a KO or RNC stoppage.

This is a prime example as to why MMAth is retarded.

While i agree its no measuring stick, looking at common opponents imo isnt mmath. Thats when you use a longer a>b>c>d etc to get an answer.

Its a shame gil wasnt in the ufc when bj was at his (lw) peak. This was the same bj who stopped sherk after 3 rounds, and diego in the 5th, so obviously he had cardio.

Edit: i think he finished florian in the 3rd or 4th also.

Maybe THAT Penn should be known as "late rds Penn"!

While i agree its no measuring stick, looking at common opponents imo isnt mmath. Thats when you use a longer a>b>c>d etc to get an answer.

Its a shame gil wasnt in the ufc when bj was at his (lw) peak. This was the same bj who stopped sherk after 3 rounds, and diego in the 5th, so obviously he had cardio.

Edit: i think he finished florian in the 3rd or 4th also.

Maybe THAT Penn should be known as "late rds Penn"!

4th round. BJ clinched with him against the cage and took KFlo down with a double leg. Then proceeded to work him over with heavy elbows from top position. His cardio looked fine to me even though Kenny was trying to implement the GSP strategy of leaning on him against the cage the entire fight to wear down his gas tank.

Marinovich Penn was a demigod

Was this the version of penn that beat florian or sanchez?

Either way, bj performed great in both, but neither, in retrospect, are a GREAT win on his resume when all is said and done.

And im a bj fan.

4th round. BJ clinched with him against the cage and took KFlo down with a double leg. Then proceeded to work him over with heavy elbows from top position. His cardio looked fine to me even though Kenny was trying to implement the GSP strategy of leaning on him against the cage the entire fight to wear down his gas tank.

Yea thats what i remember. Florian also attempted this strategy vs Aldo.

Nice defense by BJ, but not a GREAT win for his resume.

Gomi, hughes x2, sherk, hell even the fitch draw (at the time), are bigger in retrospect imo. And maybe going the distance with Machida. I mean, diego beat kenny at the finale, so even if the diego fight was one of his best performances, the kenflo win was, and shouldve been academic.

Back