Revisionist History Gus vs Jones. Arguably the first four rounds could have gone either way.

All close fights should be draws. People may not like a draw, but it's fair. Neither Gus nor Jones did enough to win, and that fight should have been a draw. Gus 1,3 & Jones 4,5, with round 2 being a draw. GSP-Hendricks should have been a draw as well.

This may not be a popular opinion but I do share it with you.

If we are to be completely honest I think that a large amount of fights, maybe as much as 20-40% of decisions are rightful draws/ties.

We FORCE a decisive verdict into place because our society desires winners and losers and ties are deemed unsatisfactory results. This doesn't make it right or true though.

I'd personally say that most split decisions could be seen to be a draw (assuming a more honest and accurate scoring system) and a large amount of majority and even some unanimous decisions could be viewed as draws as well.
We give guys/girls absolute credit for winning a round by one strike or exchange, many of these rounds are even rounds that are forcefully awarded to one fighter or the other when they are in reality even rounds.

Just rewatched it this week as well. Gus took Jones down in both the first and second rounds while also landing better shots. Jones had one maybe two good head kicks in the third but Gus landed more and better shots. Gus was securely ahead for about 4:30 of the 4th but then Jones rallied. Fifth was Jones. Pretty clear 48-47 or perhaps even 49-46 for Gus.

Think Jones is really going to make a statement in this fight though - although I'd love to see Gus win (again).

I had it a slight edge to Gus the first time I watched it because I was taken with the fact that Jones looked very human after being so dominant and Gus was moving well and so loose.

I rewatched it also and scored it rounds 1,3 for gus and 4, 5 for jones with 2 being a draw. Round 4 was Gus right till the last minute or so where Jones clearly stole the round for me. I think the most important moment of the fight was the end of round 4 because Gus got hurt and I don't think he recovered for round 5. If you were taking it off my score card, it would have been a very unpopular draw.

This "either way" thing is a major bullshit that must stop at once. If someone was better, he won, if not, he lost, simple. The judges must do their jobs good and nothing more, this is not a lottery.
tru but the judging criteria is not black and white were you can judge it to a certainty. To much objectivity. so its kind of is a lottery. specially is addalaid bird is judging

I rewatched the fight again this week for the first time in a few years. A few observations.

The only clear round was 5 to Jones. Gus was practically out on his feet and completely exhausted.

Jones put his hands up at the end of the 1st and 2nd. I wonder if that confidence swayed the judges for the 2nd (I realize he lost the first on all the scorecards)

Jones landed a bunch of kicks in round 1,2,3. The first time I scored the first round for Gus, but this time, I had it Jones because of the kick volume.

Round 4 is one of the craziest rounds in MMA history. You have one fighter clearly leading for nearly 4 minutes of it, only to be nearly finished and dominated for the last minute. I scored it Jones now and then but there's a case to be made that Gus won that round. The only other rounds that come to mind as kinda simialr is Anderson/Shogun rounds 1/2.

At the end of the day, 49-46 or 48-47 Gus or 48-47 or 49-46 Jones all could be acceptable scores. I think this might be the closest 5 round fight in MMA history.

I think Jones won't have the endurance to win a 5 round decision this time around. Gus TKO or decision, maybe split is my guess.

I thought that fight was a toss up.
Gus got in Jones' ass like we had never seen up until that point.
Great fight!

Back