Reviews/Thoughts on Camarillo's Guerilla Jiu-Jitsu

TheBigS

Green Belt
Reaction score
First off, I'm sorry if this topic has been posted before. I did a few searches and couldn't find a prior thread dedicated to it.

Anyway, for those who have read it (whether you practice judo or bjj), did you find Dave Camarillo's Guerilla Jiu-JItsu book useful? If so, what aspects? I have practiced judo for 8 years now and have been visiting a few bjj schools recently and am considering cross training if I can find a place that fights with me. I saw an ad for this book recently in a magazine and was wondering how many of you have used it at all or if it was even worth the money.

I liked his flying attacks on his dvds--I like how he transitions

Depends,

I do not own the book, but i had a couple of good looks through it in the book store.

If i remember correctly there was a lot of good judo info, specifically a judo style throw that transitioned into various BJJ submissions...so there was a nice linking of the 2 different MAs.

What i actually did not like was all of the flying submissions. Not to say that the info was bad...
Flying submission just are not my thing, the info on them looked good though...

i like it ok, it has a lot of judo stuff, which is nice since i just started judo a few months ago to help with my BJJ

I have the book. A lot of good stuff however it applys mostly to Gi.

great book, reread it a few times, there ias a lot of good info on grip fighting and trasnitions from throws to submissions. well worth the price you will pay.

It's awesome. Aggressive, no bull. "Guerrilla Jiu-jitsu" is a great book.

i haven't seen a lot of his stuff but a guy i train with loves his stuff. He actually got a private from him and his game improved dramatically.

Yes mostly all Gi stuff, BUT, it was my first great BJJ/Judo purchase and it is a great book AND DVD! Pick it Up!

BTW, NO QUARTER is my favorite song of all time.

the throw to submission stuff was awesome and worth the price alone. i havent experimented with the flying stuff much yet

Wow, that's surprising, since it is supposed to combine elements of Judo and BJJ, both of which are arts that utilize the gi!!

Anyway, I have it also, and it is a pretty good resource. Don't have the DVD so I can't comment on that.

I love the book, but I will add one caveat: if you have zero judo training, a good portion of Camarillo's book will not be all that useful to you. After a year of judo, I'm just getting to the point where I feel like the more "judo-ish" portions are practical for me to begin to practice live.

It is the best resource I have found for combining Judo and Jiu Jitsu. You do want to have some knowledge of both arts to find this useful. I started finding this useful after about a month and a half of training Judo but I already had a year of BJJ experience behind me.

Back