Reviews of a couple BJJ/MMA academies in Brazil

good luck to the 12 guys from CM System who will be fighting tomorrow at the "CM System Challengers" event in a small city outside of Curitiba. Wish I was back there!

Great read!

I stayed in Lagoa de Conceicao outside Florianopolis. I trained with Ataque Duplo there, under a guy named Glenio Weber. It was a small place in his house. He often trains with the guys at Murilo Rupp's gym in Floripa. Just curious if you ever met him. Stalky black belt, goes maybe 145. Speaks no English. Loves the bicep slicer...

I tried finding T. Tavares's gym in Flroianopolis, but I only had one night for it - and it had moved from the fitness centre listed on the website. Oddly enough a Barra academy had started in the same place with the same class times.

Also curious if you might have met or heard tell of my old professor Penao in Curitiba. He has ties to Chute Boxe that go way back. He sort of dropped off my radar since he went back to Brazil and I wonder how he is doing. I heard he may be working offshore now.

Post pics, please.

Great read!

I stayed in Lagoa de Conceicao outside Florianopolis. I trained with Ataque Duplo there, under a guy named Glenio Weber. It was a small place in his house. He often trains with the guys at Murilo Rupp's gym in Floripa. Just curious if you ever met him. Stalky black belt, goes maybe 145. Speaks no English. Loves the bicep slicer...

I tried finding T. Tavares's gym in Flroianopolis, but I only had one night for it - and it had moved from the fitness centre listed on the website. Oddly enough a Barra academy had started in the same place with the same class times.

Also curious if you might have met or heard tell of my old professor Penao in Curitiba. He has ties to Chute Boxe that go way back. He sort of dropped off my radar since he went back to Brazil and I wonder how he is doing. I heard he may be working offshore now.

Post pics, please.

No, never met Glenio. That fitness center that you mentioned was the Ataque Duplo headquarters up until my last few weeks there. There was a split between one of the guys so they ended up moving the headquarters to a place in downtown Floripa, which is owned by Thiago Tavares ("Floripa Training Center").

Regarding Penao, I've never heard the name before...as for pics, they are all on my blog! Thanks!

Cristiano told me that he bought a washing machine already so anyone who stays at the academy apartment from now on won't have to wash their clothes and gis by hand like I did! He's also bought a stove and microwave for the kitchen as well so now it's got absolutely everything you need...wish I had that when I was there!

Last edited:
Wanderlei Silva's visit to CM System last week was documented last week by several Brazilian MMA websites and a conversation between him and Cristiano Marcello was filmed. They talk about various topics, like Cristiano's academy & fight team, his last two fights, their philosophy on training for MMA, reminiscing on old times, and more. Cool video, check it out:

Last edited:
No, never met Glenio. That fitness center that you mentioned was the Ataque Duplo headquarters up until my last few weeks there. There was a split between one of the guys so they ended up moving the headquarters to a place in downtown Floripa, which is owned by Thiago Tavares ("Floripa Training Center").

Regarding Penao, I've never heard the name before...as for pics, they are all on my blog! Thanks!

Do you know more about the split?

Do you know more about the split?

Yes, but none of that information is relevant to any of us. Just know that the Ataque Duplo headquarters was moved to Thiago Tavares' academy "Floripa Training Center" in downtown Florianopolis.

do they have a schedule posted anywhere?

MMA (pro) - 11-12:30 - M-F
BJJ - 12:30-1:30 - M-F
BJJ - 3-4 - M/W/F
Muay thai (pro) - 5:30-6:30 - M-F
Muay thai - 6:30-7:30 - M-F
BJJ - 7:30-8:30 - M-F
Muay Thai - 9-10 -M-F

The MMA class in the morning covers a different area of the game each day. If I remember correctly, it's boxing on Monday, wrestling/submission grappling on Tuesday & Thursday, muay Thai on Wednesday, and MMA on Friday. If you're interested in training at CM System, let me know and I'll get you in touch with the right people. They're in the process of renovating their housing for foreigners, with plasma TV and everything.

Thanks for posting that video of Silva and Christiano.

It was really awesome to see the obvious respect and love they have for one another. Great stuff.

Thanks for posting that video of Silva and Christiano.

It was really awesome to see the obvious respect and love they have for one another. Great stuff.

For sure, every time Wanderlei goes back to Curitiba, he always visits Cristiano. He even came by to watch one of Brazil's world cup soccer matches with us at Cristiano's house last year. They have a tight friendship and you can tell right away the immense respect they have for each other.

Were there some big guys at Christiano's place?

The main reason I travel only to Rio to train is that there the gyms are big enough to contain at least a couple of big guys.
Training with smaller guys and training with bigger guys are two very different things.

Were there some big guys at Christiano's place?

The main reason I travel only to Rio to train is that there the gyms are big enough to contain at least a couple of big guys.
Training with smaller guys and training with bigger guys are two very different things.

exactly how big are you talking about? there are some big guys there, like Junior Baby and Fernando Lageano, who are both around 6'3, 240-250, Gustavo Dias (5 time BJJ champ) who's 6'2, around 220, Mario Soldado who's 6'2 and walks around at 200 (fights at 170 though). To me, they are pretty big, but I don't know what your definition of big is. Those are just the pro MMA guys, during the night BJJ class there are tons of big guys (the ones I can think of are black and purple belts). Take a look at the CM System facebook page (CM System | Facebook) for profiles of the fight team. A lot of the guys are missing but it gives you a general idea.

FYI, Dynasty, author of the infamous "Trip to Brazil" thread is back at CM System for the next 6 months.

Im surprised no one posted him chocking out crazy horse

MMA (pro) - 11-12:30 - M-F
BJJ - 12:30-1:30 - M-F
BJJ - 3-4 - M/W/F
Muay thai (pro) - 5:30-6:30 - M-F
Muay thai - 6:30-7:30 - M-F
BJJ - 7:30-8:30 - M-F
Muay Thai - 9-10 -M-F

The MMA class in the morning covers a different area of the game each day. If I remember correctly, it's boxing on Monday, wrestling/submission grappling on Tuesday & Thursday, muay Thai on Wednesday, and MMA on Friday. If you're interested in training at CM System, let me know and I'll get you in touch with the right people. They're in the process of renovating their housing for foreigners, with plasma TV and everything.

Thanks, i think i am about a year away from making it to brazil

Thanks, i think i am about a year away from making it to brazil

cool... if you have facebook, "like" the CM System facebook page...when you're ready to make arrangements to go to Brazil, everything you need to know about training there is on the page.

Okay - how about this...at the old Ataque Duplo location...did you ever have a ridiculous burger from the place across the road?

I did after class with the Barra guys. it was bizarre; it had potato chips corn and boiled potatoes on it - the fuck?

Okay - how about this...at the old Ataque Duplo location...did you ever have a ridiculous burger from the place across the road?

I did after class with the Barra guys. it was bizarre; it had potato chips corn and boiled potatoes on it - the fuck?

I went to that burger place many times but i don't remember if I got that particular burger you got though...

Back