Review: Top-Ten Training Headgear (Pics)

For you guys thinking about buying a Top Ten headguard, Totiro-USA just sent out an email announcing a 15% off sale on everything they sell. The discount code is"WAKO-15".

cool thanks for the heads up.

Anyone got a working coupon code for Totiro-USA? WAKO-15 is no longer applicable. Thanks!

I also have this headgear. Personally I really do like it, I don't mind my nose sticking out but I know for some that is a big concern. For me, the when the headgear gets sweaty it does start to move ever so slightly. While I also agree that it probably doesn't have the best impact absorbtion, it is very good especially for its size and visibility.

Just as a note, the top-ten headgear is widely used throughout many kickboxing bouts, top-ten is legit there's no question about it, it's just personal preference.

I also have this headgear. Personally I really do like it, I don't mind my nose sticking out but I know for some that is a big concern. For me, the when the headgear gets sweaty it does start to move ever so slightly. While I also agree that it probably doesn't have the best impact absorbtion, it is very good especially for its size and visibility.

Just as a note, the top-ten headgear is widely used throughout many kickboxing bouts, top-ten is legit there's no question about it, it's just personal preference.

Really? you must not have it tightened all the way. I don't get what you guys mean by the headgear making your nose stick out. Your nose is going to stick out on any headgear unless it's got really bulky cheek protectors, but then you have limited visibility.

Chino I'm not really sure about the leather headgear but I do know they used it in the Olympics last year rather than the regular Bayflex headgear. So I'm sure it isn't a problem because they only seem to use high quality gear in international competition i.e not everlast.

Really? you must not have it tightened all the way. I don't get what you guys mean by the headgear making your nose stick out. Your nose is going to stick out on any headgear unless it's got really bulky cheek protectors, but then you have limited visibility.

Chino I'm not really sure about the leather headgear but I do know they used it in the Olympics last year rather than the regular Bayflex headgear. So I'm sure it isn't a problem because they only seem to use high quality gear in international competition i.e not everlast.

It was on pretty tight but the material just becomes pretty slick when lined with sweat. Take in mind that it didn't move too much just a quick turn was all that was needed to put it back. We were also sparring and hitting pretty hard.

I've done a lot of research lately on head gear because I've gotten hit in the face too much recently and trying not to look like I'm part of a Fight Club at my day job.

better start researching your defense, mate... train harder, i train for years and i never wear headgear, neither does anyone at the gym where i train, and everyone is fine...

some blood here and there, but thats ok, its kickboxing not ballet...

jeesh, some of the guys here act really strange, they wanna train fightsport but they dont wanna get hit... really weird where i come from...

better start researching your defense, mate... train harder, i train for years and i never wear headgear, neither does anyone at the gym where i train, and everyone is fine...

jeesh, some of the guys here act really strange, they wanna train fightsport but they dont wanna get hit... really weird where i come from...

Wow that post really contributed to this thread about Top-Ten headgear.:icon_conf

Strange that pro boxers always spar wearing headgear...but what the heck do they know? :rolleyes:

Strange that pro boxers always spar wearing headgear...but what the heck do they know? :rolleyes:

Speaking of which I was watching a video of Andy Souwer doing some training and he was rockin the TOP TEN gear.

And for those of you worried about your face here's a demo of the face shield TOP TEN makes for their headgear.

Ok, that mask strength test video was sick.

I'll have to check out this headgear. Are there any sellers in Texas?

Ok, that mask strength test video was sick.

I'll have to check out this headgear. Are there any sellers in Texas?

No, not that I know of but the place I posted the vid from is here in florida and I think shipping's only like $7 or $8. You should check out their new leather headgear, it's pretty nice. It's basically the Avantgarde but with a leather shell and I think it might be a little thicker too.

can you use the leather one for usa boxing?

Yeah it's AIBA certified and has the AIBA sticker on it so it's legal in all karate, boxing, and kickboxing competition. Same with the regular Bayflex headgear although it doesn't come with the sticker.

They have these in my gym without the cheek protectors. im not a big fan of them

I purchase top ten head gear based on this review and I very happy with it,I was concerned by the sizing ,my head circumference is 59cm and the top ten manufacturing guideline recommended large which it doesn't manufacture in this model;however,if you go to the Totiro-USA site and look at sizing it states that the guidelines outline by Top Ten aren't always accurate and a large in any other head gear is equivalent to a medium in top ten.

Ive used Thai head gear before and found them extremely hot and was annoyed by the perspiration running down my forehead in to my eyes ,no problems with the top ten gear-its a excellent design ,also the leather on my previous head gear would cause abrasions if i got tagged with a heavy shot,with the top ten head gear this isn't a problem,

I spar in in Southern China and most of the year during the night its ranges between 28 to 32 degrees Celsius-this gear offers great ventilation.

Thank you for the previous reviews:icon_chee

[

Unfortunately, the training model, with the cheek protection, is only available in Medium. My head measures 22-1/2

bringing this thread alive 8 years later:
@greenmac, is your head 59cm or 22-1/2? is Top Ten's large a snug fit or loose fit for your head?

bringing this thread alive 8 years later:
@greenmac, is your head 59cm or 22-1/2? is Top Ten's large a snug fit or loose fit for your head?

For what its worth, I have a 58 cm circumference and by size chart it would be on the lower end of size L. I can wear both, M and L, but Medium size will do a better job. It feels a bit tight at first, but once used to the feeling it feels like a second skin.
I would always prefer the version with the older, rounder shape over the Avantgarde model. The Avantgarde is a bit edgey and the material is more rigid in nature. That doesn't feel as warm as the original model. At least not to me. The older model is a tiny bit thicker in padding and the sweat drains better to the side of the head and doesn't run into the face like with the new Aiba headguards.
I would say an M size could be worn by most people up to 60 cm / 23 Inches circumference.

Back