Review: Top-Ten Training Headgear (Pics)

Dabappa

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have been using the TOP-TEN Avant Guard Training Headgear for a while now and figured it was time for a review.

TopTenFront.jpg

Ordering & Service:

I bought this headgear through the school where I train. Availability in the USA is limited; the only two distributors I could find were:
www.topten-usa.com (they still have the older model pictured)
www.toptencanada.com (they ship to the US)

The school owner ended up ordering a few to try from the Canadian site (He said they were easier to deal with.), and I purchased one of these

Crazy looking headgear, kinda reminds me of a bicycle helmet. Very intersting material too.

If you did train full contact you would not be pleased with that head gear. The stuff that is made with has like no absorbtion.

I don't like the idea of having the nose so overly exposed myself but other than that it seems like pretty decent headgear.

My sensei wears the low profile, and goes to Iowa to train with Miletich.

They must be good because he bangs pretty hard with those guys, Pulver, Fisher, Neer, Lawler etc.

So if you looking for full contact, these are probably one of the better on the market.

looks like a sweet headgear we played with producing a top ten headgear but failed, back to the drawing board i guess. how does this headgar feel like in a clinch or escaping from a headlock?

mike - www.gorillagear.ca

Someone needs to perform a crash test for impact on this type of head gear to see if it actually protects the wearer at all.

I cannot see how this head gear can protect you from a kick, kick, elbo, or finger/thumb to the face.

I've done a lot of research lately on head gear because I've gotten hit in the face too much recently and trying not to look like I'm part of a Fight Club at my day job.

Someone needs to perform a crash test for impact on this type of head gear to see if it actually protects the wearer at all.

I cannot see how this head gear can protect you from a kick, kick, elbo, or finger/thumb to the face.

I've done a lot of research lately on head gear because I've gotten hit in the face too much recently and trying not to look like I'm part of a Fight Club at my day job.

i can't say how well the cheek protection is on the training headgear but I have the competition version, which is the exact same headgear but w/o cheeks, and it protects very well against punches, kicks, etc and is easy to clean and lasts forever.

1. The AIBA ran tests for the IOC at the Technical University of Berlin's automobile safety testing facility. (Source: http://pankration.homestead.com/wpfselectstopten.html) Unfortunately, I can't find the reports anywhere online.

2. There is an optional clear face shield available: http://www.shop.sportkarategroup.co...A60BAF52A.qscweb23?categoryId=19&productId=14

Cool if true, but if these are AIBA approved why is it that every Website that carries these head guards are based in the UK? I only saw one other listing in Australia and one in the US.
http://www.totiro-usa.com/Catalog/Head-Guards

Also the head guard that was "Tested at the Technical University of Berlin Approved by AIBA" are the TOP TEN Leather AIBA head guard and not these that are listed by the OP:
http://www.ringsport.com.au/d355/top-ten-leather-aiba-head-guard
http://www.lonsdaleboxing.co.uk/store/gbu0-prodshow/4096.html
http://www.sugarrays.co.uk/shop/product.php?productid=4093&cat=103&page=1

Cool if true, but if these are AIBA approved why is it that every Website that carries these head guards are based in the UK? I only saw one other listing in Australia and one in the US.
http://www.totiro-usa.com/Catalog/Head-Guards

Also the head guard that was "Tested at the Technical University of Berlin Approved by AIBA" are the TOP TEN Leather AIBA head guard and not these that are listed by the OP:
http://www.ringsport.com.au/d355/top-ten-leather-aiba-head-guard
http://www.lonsdaleboxing.co.uk/store/gbu0-prodshow/4096.html
http://www.sugarrays.co.uk/shop/product.php?productid=4093&cat=103&page=1

AIBA (International Amateur Boxing Association) is an international organization, thus the foreign links. For whatever reason, Top-Ten has not been aggressively marketed in the USA. So far only three suppliers in the USA have been mentioned:

www.topten-usa.com
www.shop.sportkarategroup.com
www.totiro-usa.com

As far as I know there are three Top-Ten competition models available with AIBA certification, and I can only assume all have undergone the formal

The Top Ten Olympia & Avantguard Headguards are all all AIBA approved. The only difference is whether you want to pay extra for the AIBA sticker that adds unecessary cost to the items here in the US. They are made of the same patented Bayflex rubber that was tested in the Technical University of Berlin study. FYI - At the AIBA Boxing Championships held in Chicago last summer, the TOP TEN Headguard (boxing version covered in leather) was mandatory equipment.

I've used the Olympia and the Avantguard and prefer the fit of the Avantguard. I didn't believe the hype until I used one myself. The best test is to put one on (the correct size) and have someone punch and kick you and see what you think.

The best place to purchase the products in the US is at WWW.TOTIRO-USA.COM. They are the actual supplier for the TOP TEN products sold on everyone else's websites.

I purchased 3 of the Avantgarde headguards from MAMA-USA (AKA topten-usa.com). MAMA (Martial Arts Marketing Associates) is the main importer/distributor for Top Ten, which is made in Germany. Mike at MAMA is a super guy to deal with, and threw in some free goodies with my order - mind you I spent a good deal of $$$ on my first order.

I bought for myself, my 16 y/o and his best friend. We do full-contact/knockdown Freestyle Karate like Kyokushin/Oyama Karate - so we kick and hit to the head... thus the need for great headgear, esp youngsters. I read some article online, forget where, that since the Top Ten has been used in Olympic boxing, only one KO from a head blow has been recorded, thus my decision to spend the cash on the Top Ten gear. They sell a bandanna that you can slip on before putting on the headgear... to wick away sweat so that it doesn't contact with the Bayfill material.

The Bayfill takes getting used to, but the safety is not hype... it works!!! I know there are boxers here on the forum also, and those that box as part of their MMA training. Tho I have never used their Bayfill gloves, I bet they are just as safe as the headgear. I would not hesitate to recommend or repurchase Top Ten products - like all quality stuff, its not the cheapest, but the quality def matches the price.

Nate

I have just started using an older version of this headguard, with the only difference being the additional chin protection.

1062.jpg

As mentioned before, the headguard has a very tight feeling and doesn't really move upon impact; it is a bit tricky when it comes to grappling, but I personally haven't seen or heard of any headguards that you can grapple with properly.

The absorbance may not be as good as with those big chunky Cleto Reyes headguards, but I think the concept is very different anyway, as you really don't feel like you are wearing anything with the topten headguard on. For its size and feeling, the absorbance is very good.

I've also used the topten AIBA approved gloves for nearly 4 years now and I am very satisfied with them.

5048057.jpg

Again, as mentioned before, it's the AIBA stamp that brings the price up -and they are quite costy- but you can buy sparring gloves made by topten with the same bayflex foam for less.

The actual pair I use is meant to be used in competition and not training (10oz), but the foam is really absorbant and, being a welterweight, it only takes some caution and sparring is usually trouble-free.

I can see that after 4 years the foam is starting to get soft, but I think that is natural with most gloves; note that the leather and seams are still intact, even the white paint at the front has lasted pretty well. That said, I've only done minimal bag work with them.

Overall, I would strongly recommend topten products, specially when it comes to boxing as I have only tried their boxing-oriented products. They do have a couple of MMA gloves on the market, but I have never come across any so I can't really say much about them.

382220-1.jpg

Top_Ten_grappling_glove.jpg

The only negative things I can think of are:
1) High price - I guess you get what you give -
2) Availability - It's easy to find their most popular models but if you need advanced stuff you need to search for a retailer -
3) Their gloves used to come in different hand-sizes, something which I can't see anymore.

Hope it helped a bit!

This Top Ten stuff looks very interesting, might try to weigh it with a cleto reyes headgear whenever I decide to upgrade.

I got top ten headgear the same as fumanchito (with the chin).

I've just started doing some light / medium sparring (muay thai / mma striking) with it. So far, I'm liking it much more than my older twins headgear. It doesn't slip or move as much (especially in the clinch), it's lighter, less bulky, and as far as I can tell so far, has better impact protection...

I'm wondering if anybody here has any experience with full contact / heavy sparring with this headgear? Does the protection carry over?

I got top ten headgear the same as fumanchito (with the chin).

I've just started doing some light / medium sparring (muay thai / mma striking) with it. So far, I'm liking it much more than my older twins headgear. It doesn't slip or move as much (especially in the clinch), it's lighter, less bulky, and as far as I can tell so far, has better impact protection...

I'm wondering if anybody here has any experience with full contact / heavy sparring with this headgear? Does the protection carry over?

I use mine for kickboxing and it protects me very well, especially considering I'm about 135 while most of my training partners are about 170+.

I use mine for kickboxing and it protects me very well, especially considering I'm about 135 while most of my training partners are about 170+.

Thanks, this is good to hear. Looks like we're in similar situations. I'm 145-150 and a lot of my partners are 170-190.

For you guys thinking about buying a Top Ten headguard, Totiro-USA just sent out an email announcing a 15% off sale on everything they sell. The discount code is"WAKO-15".

Back