Review: The Anabolic Index, by David Barr

2. Pre workout Nutrition will divert blood flow away from muscles during the workout.

I dont know how many times i heard/read this. I guess i better read the last 8 also.

Just a question on the second post workout shake.Didn't want to start a new thread on it.

Would it be detrimental to use a protein blend for instance cytosport evopro as the second pwo shake? Or is whey hydrolysate superior? I made my PWO shake with ON whey,instant oats,beta alanine,and water. The second shake consisted of a smaller portion of oats,spinach,and ON whey.

Should each PWO shake be indentical,or is there room for variation?

So something like a hydrolysate with fast carbs an hour after and three hours after exercise is okay? Is the only real concern not drinking the first shake too soon?

Would it be detrimental to use a protein blend for instance cytosport evopro as the second pwo shake? Or is whey hydrolysate superior? I made my PWO shake with ON whey,instant oats,beta alanine,and water. The second shake consisted of a smaller portion of oats,spinach,and ON whey.

Hydrolysate is indeed necessary for anything other than a morning protein pulse. I build off of this concept in the Protein Pulse Feeding article.

If multiple drinks are used they should not be identical with the exception of the hydrolysate. The carbs can be greatly reduced or even eliminated in a second drink (depending on the type of preceding workout).

So something like a hydrolysate with fast carbs an hour after and three hours after exercise is okay?

When using a high quality whey hydrolysate it's important to protein feed within an hour to ensure that there is no protein crash. This is not a concern with higher MW hydrolysates.

Is the only real concern not drinking the first shake too soon?

I'd say that the bigger concern is consuming the drink too late, but you're right in that drinking it too soon will eliminate the benefit.

I can't believe that I overlooked this question because the popularity of Nutrient Timing is one of the reasons I felt the need to publish The Anabolic Index.

Nutrient Timing is a good introduction to the concept that goes by the same name, but unfortunately is was outdated by the time is was published. Like most articles you read, it bases its recommendations off of endurance athletes. It also emphasizes the 1-hour post-workout window which is terribly outdated.

Thank you for the follow up. I kind of reckoned a book like that would be somewhat out of date by now, but still quite useful in many ways for some people.

Just a question on the second post workout shake.Didn't want to start a new thread on it.

I myself find nothing wrong with a blend. For PWO etc, never have never will. As long as its the right amounts of different types etc.

I myself find nothing wrong with a blend. For PWO etc, never have never will. As long as its the right amounts of different types etc.

Vedic, just to ensure we're all on the same page: the original question and answer were referring to optimal nutritionally-induced biochemical processes, as opposed to subjective perception. These are all too often used interchangeably and but think it's critical to distinguish between them.

When using a high quality whey hydrolysate it's important to protein feed within an hour to ensure that there is no protein crash. This is not a concern with higher MW hydrolysates.

I'd say that the bigger concern is consuming the drink too late, but you're right in that drinking it too soon will eliminate the benefit.

So if I'm understanding things correctly, it would be best to get a hydrolysate (and med-/high-GI carbs) around 60 min pre-WO to ensure blood amino acid levels peak around the time of exercise? In that case, wouldn't a whole food meal earlier before the WO have the same function?

Also, this drinking the PWO shake too soon being potentially detrimental confused me. Would drinking a shake too late peri-WO elicit the same detrimental effects?

And if I understood the PWO meals correctly, a hydrolysate with low-GI and another hydrolysate shake with even fewer carbs would be ideal according to you, right? Quality of the whey being the most important factor.

Got this book in e-book form to save on shipping costs.

Overall I think the book is a good book to read.

The only thing I feel though is that a lot of the information that has been written in the book had already been given for free in articles written by David Barr.

People say that whole foods are the best but the approach taken by David is very supplement orientated, using this as a quick example:

7AM Morning Shake

20g Whey Hydrolysate
20g Whey Isolate
20g Sucrose
10g Glucose
10g BCAA
5g Beta Alanine
500mg Carnitine Tartrate

8:30 Meal 2

I think meals 2 and 3 are real food meals, and the supplements listed there are to be taken with it. Usually EFA's and multi's are taken with a meal.

Thats what I was thinking as I was like EFAs a meal" :p

Would have been nice also to a have a summery of the book for easy reading.

I have to keep going through the book over and over to see bits that i have missed.

Thanks for the review, I have always loved Dave's work. I will definitely check into this and its already in the process of shipping.

Back