Review of Triumph United Death Adders 16oz. Lace-Ups

hangulmalmotayo

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
So here's a review of the Triumph United Death Adders. I have the 16oz. lace-up version. I purchased them about a year ago. I have been using them pretty regularly in the last eight months (switching between them and a pair of Cleto Reyes that have since been sold—as a result, they have been my primary gloves on the bag the last two months or so).

There are already a few reviews of the Death Adders, but I thought I'd add my own because these are, without a doubt, among the most underrated gloves on the market. I have been using them primarily on the bag, but have used them for sparring in the past, as well as on the pads.

I'll start with the superficial stuff first:

Appearance-wise, these gloves are, to me, pretty underwhelming. They appear to be 'Grant'-like in terms of the color pattern/scheme, etc. They fall pretty short in this regard and the color scheme is probably as far as they go in terms of being like Grant gloves (though to be fair, I can't speak to any similarities beyond this since I've never actually used Grants; my conjecture is based largely on using gloves made in Mexico, ostensibly from a Grant factory). The stitching is okay, the seam on the palm side, where the white and red come together has a small gap, which has been commented on elsewhere on this forum. Additionally, the welted seams are somewhat lousy in that the leather is not cut evenly. The leather does not appear to be of any special quality, but it is so far durable. So much for the superficial aspect. It's not exactly a glamorous looking glove which is probably one of the reasons it is not as popular. (This is just my opinion. Others might like the appearance.)

In terms of fit, they are very snug. When I initially put them on, I thought that they might be too snug, but my fears were dispelled pretty quickly as they are not the sort of snug that leads to discomfort. I would describe them as fitting close to a fight glove. They are super comfortable and form-fitting.

Performance-wise, they are great. They fit like fight gloves, they perform similarly. They provide extremely satisfying feedback on the heavy bag. I have used them hard on the bag for over six months and, while the padding has definitely changed from the beginning, there is still no indication that the padding is breaking apart. Every time I use these, I am pleasantly surprised by their feel on the heavy bag.

The padding is something that makes these gloves great. I have no idea what sort of padding was used in making these gloves, but it is unlike any other glove I have ever tried. At some point, I'd like to tear these open to see what is going on underneath. The padding is very soft and not foamy. There is absolutely zero sense that the padding will eventually 'break' or crack. This is not on account of the fact that the padding seems dense or strong, but it doesn't seem to be made of a substance liable to breaking. I love it.

The liner has been unproblematic. In addition to having used a lot of gloves that had padding durability issues, I've also used a lot of gloves with bad lining. These gloves, either because of the type of padding or because of the liner, seem to have no issues with the liner getting torn.

Durability: as what I've said above suggests, these gloves are super durable. They still show zero signs of breaking down and continue to be extremely comfortable on the heavy bag. Unlike other durable gloves, these don't require a long break-in time. Also, they retain their comfort and performance even after long and heavy use.

The only issue I've had with the glove is an ingrown fingernail (this may be due to my having long fingers or throwing too much of a slapping hook). But this only happened once and after my finger healed it hasn't happened again.

Since black friday deals are coming up, I thought it would be good to recommend this pair. They are economical and certainly over-perform relative to their cost. I would choose these gloves over most other gloves (even the more expensive variety).

Awesome review.

Since you are known to be the glove destroyer, I am quite surprised by how good your DA still look. They look almost new compare to how the Zeus (aka: New Sporting) looked.

Mine still look like new and I have them since last year...thanks to you lol.

I should stop being a lazy ass and write a review on the Death Star since I find them to be as good as the DAs.

You should do a comparison review. TU just upped the sale price on the Death Stars...

Definitely one of my favourite gloves too, these are the gloves that if they break, I will keep on buying a replacement until I die/until they stop making. Really worth every penny.

I got the same pair in 16 oz..I remember putting them on and it was incredible how snug and comfortable they were. Almost to the point it thought it might be too tight. Now I've used them for a year and it's still an awesome pair. Gonna buy a 14 oz lace up tonight. These gloves are legit. Even better than my C17 which have slowly broken down after 1.5 years.

Alright, you guys have convinced me to pull the trigger on these gloves.

14oz on the way!

If these are among the most durable gloves out there... might ass well snatch as many pairs as possible at that current $53.99 sale...

Alright, you guys have convinced me to pull the trigger on these gloves.

14oz on the way!

If these are among the most durable gloves out there... might ass well snatch as many pairs as possible at that current $53.99 sale...
Last year they were ~$35 for a day. I think it was a glitch, though. I'm going to see if they do it again... If not, I'll have to wait until next year.

how do the death adder gloves compare to the storm trooper gloves? are they similiar in profile, padding etc?

Would you say that the DA's padding is stronger than your Reyes?

If you were to give both gloves equal use, which one would seem more tanky?
Padding between DAs and Reyes are a difference in kind. The Reyes are more ‘bouncy’ and dense. The DAs are different. Hard to describe how exactly. In terms of which is more durable I would say that the Reyes break down faster but are thicker so it takes a while. DAs don’t disintegrate but they flatten out. Which is stronger? I don’t know. But I much prefer the DAs to Reyes.

I don’t know what tanky means.

Padding between DAs and Reyes are a difference in kind. The Reyes are more ‘bouncy’ and dense. The DAs are different. Hard to describe how exactly. In terms of which is more durable I would say that the Reyes break down faster but are thicker so it takes a while. DAs don’t disintegrate but they flatten out. Which is stronger? I don’t know. But I much prefer the DAs to Reyes.

I don’t know what tanky means.

Ah, so the winner would be DAs.

By tanky I meant just being able to withstand more punishment before breaking down.

At the current sale price of $54 for probably one of the most durable gloves out there... this is more than a steal. It's a heist.

I might get another pair or two.. 12oz and 16oz... even though I have a 14oz on the way..

Back