Review: New Ring to Cage Thai Shorts With Bigger Lettering (9.75/10)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Reviews' started by ClampXVII, Sep 18, 2013.

1. ClampXVII

ClampXVII Bravado Muay Thai Trainer

Introduction:

Greetings and salutations readers. I'm happy to finally announce that Ring to Cage has finally listened to my request of revising their Muay Thai Trunks! I'm a wide guy and I need big shorts. I buy a lot of my gear from Mohsin but shorts were something that were more reserved for students than my own use. The reason is because the shorts looked not quite right on a large frame. The lettering always looked to small and the fit just wasn't baggy enough for me. Mohsin sent me this with one of my orders to check it out. I couldn't pass up a free pair of shorts!

Fit & Feel:

The fit is better and the look is better on these edition. It's easy to see when compared to my other 1 pair that I kept from them. They're a wee bit shorter and wider. The cut just looks better. It's the same type of shorts I've bought from before but they look and feel more like a pair of real Thai shorts. They're light and baggy and that's how I like my shorts. They also made the lettering bigger than past models. Past models looked ridiculous with tiny lettering and a lot of open space in the background. It just looked incomplete to me. Now they look like a pair of Thai Smai shorts which were the 1st pair of shorts I used to train in as a kid. A bit of nostalgia hit me and made me wish that Ring to Cage will one day do a Nylon version of these shorts for old timey guys like me. Those are quick and easy to clean.

Ring to cage has a size chart that I glanced at when I wrote this review. I'm a size 38” waist and a 2XL fit me just fine. Only one thing that I can think of that I would change is widening the waists just a tad bit more. I really like the width and height on my thighs but the elastic waists could have been a tad wider for the new belly. That's more of a personal problem I guess.

Quality & Craftsmanship:

The shorts look and feel good. They're worn twice a week and get washed a week due to my laundry rotation. I wash them in cold water and dry on low tumble. They get put in inside out with the rest of my training clothes. They're easy to take care of and still look good. They're training shorts so they should last a bit and at $30.00 I'm not going to cry if something were to happen to them. I like this price point much better than their previous retail price. They lowered the prices and put out a better product. So it's a win-win situation for the consumer.

Performance:

Well since they're training shorts and I've been saying the cut is baggy and short, they don't inhibit movement. I like the side slits but honestly just from the cut alone, they don't need them. I would wash these before you wear them so the lettering in front of the shorts don't feel too stiff on your first use. That's pretty much it!

Closing Comments:

The shorts are great. The lower price is great. The new fit is great. The bigger Thai writing on the shorts are great. These are shorts that I will be keeping because they meet all my marks of what I would wear in my school. The only thing Mohsin needs to do is just loosen up the elastic a wee bit more and produce more colors in this template. I can safely recommend these and I will be buying these for my school.

Final Score: 9.75/10

-.25 because the waist needs a teeny tiny bit more room for bellies

They're Thai shorts for $30.00 from Ring to Cage. It took 3 tries but they finally got it right. From past experiences I found that these shorts last just as long as those for $50.00 and up.

For those who don't like to read:

You really need bullet points for such a short review?

+Better price
    +More Thai than Pakistan style
    +Larger lettering
    +Good fit for huge legs
    -Waist could be a bit wider

Pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can buy these shorts and a whole slew of others from here: http://www.ringtocage.com/muay-thai-shorts-black-white/

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  2. Harukaze

Harukaze Brown Belt

Looking forward to pics!

3. ironwolf

ironwolf Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Also looking forward to pics, Ive been intrigues by r2c shorts, at this point Im going to be making a pretty big order once they release the new stuff, im going to get their rashguards, retro thai shorts, standard thai shorts, pride gloves and some shin guards.

4. ClampXVII

ClampXVII Bravado Muay Thai Trainer

Finally got them up.

5. dat1978

dat1978 Brown Belt

bumping this because mohsin just came out with a whole slew of new colors! R2C Muay Thai Shorts

6. Harukaze

Harukaze Brown Belt

The new models look like Top King knockoffs -- not that that's necessarily a bad thing. :D