Revgear Platinum Leather Boxing Glove 16oz Review

Taskmaster99

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hey all. Time for another Review. Today its the Revgear Platinum Leather boxing glove.

I bought these off MMAHQ a couple weeks back. Got them in 16oz. Let me start by saying that MMAHQ shipping is super fast. Anyway....I've been using them since I got them....so I feel I can make a decent review for you all.

Here goes:

Weight
--------
Labeled as a 16oz.....both weighed in at 16.5 ounces

Construction
---------------

As the title states...these are made of leather and quite stinky leather at that. The smell smacks you in the face when you open the box. The leather is somewhat thin and has some wrinkles. The liner is you're basic satin type liner. The wrist strap is made of leather and the velcro is pretty solid. It has a big ass "R" printed on the shell which I like but a lot won't. The graphic is decent but I don't see it holding up after awhile. The logo on the wrist is cloth type stitched on. The stitching on the gloves is decent, had a couple loose ones out of the box. The vent holes.....now here is where it gets weird.....there are none!!!!! Instead Revgear decided to put one big ass vent hole in the palm. They state that it is supposed to help with cooling. Ummm.....ok. This glove also has a grip bar.

Padding
-----------
The padding is very well done on this glove. It is somewhat dense but not too much to where you couldn't spar right out of the box. It has what rev gear states as "Ram Force" technology. I guess thats scientific talk for good protective padding.

Fit
---
Revgear states that these are the most comfortable gloves you will put on. I'll give them that. They are quite comfy. A little roomy but with wraps....all feels good. There is ample finger room and the thumb sits in a nice position.

Performance
----------------
I have been using these as strictly bag,pad,mitt gloves. The wrist support is lacking so wrap well. The padding is quite protective on the hands. Makes a decent pop on the bag but not impressive. No knuckle pain or hand pain at all using these. My big gripe is the grip bar when making a fist(which is super easy). It feels like I am holding a roll of nickels in my hand!!!! Super hard and not very comfy!!!! Not good. Now onto the vent hole......one word....stupid!!! It did nothing to keep my hands any cooler. I mean come on.....instead of strategically placed tiny holes...lets just be lazy and make on big gaping hole in the palm and say that its the latest in cooling technology. Epic fail!!!

Conclusion
-------------
This is my first Revgear purchase. Will it be my last? No....but I would have to find their stuff at a discount price like these. No way in hell Revgear gloves are worth the price they charge for them.These normally go in the 80 dollar range. I picked them off MMAHQ for 40 plus the 5 buck shipping. At that price I would say they are worth it.
Are they great gloves? No. Are they better than similar priced Everlasts? Yes. They are a good budget glove if you can find them deeply discounted...if not then look elsewhere. The padding was good...the fit was good.....but that was about it. I could possibly see these falling apart over time and I will update as they get use. Below I have some pics including the "Giant Hole" pic.

Thanks for reading this you all. I look forward to all your comments.

Here are a few pics:

The vent hole....lmao!!!!!

A pic on my hand:

Thanks again fellow sherdoggers!!!

Thanks for the review!

My friend had two pairs of the Revgear Enforcer gloves. MMAHQ has also got them on sale for $40 at the moment. The first pair, the stitching gave away after about a month and they just fell apart. He contacted Revgear and they were nice enough to send him a replacement. The second pair, the padding split in half and then caved in on itself within a similar period of time.

For budget gloves I think I'd trust KOFG and G&S the most in the US and Conlon in the UK. TS, as you often pick up budget gloves, maybe you'd like:

http://gsboxing.com/details.php?iD=1-0-0-7

My friend picked up a pair a few years ago whilst he was in New York and they are still going strong. If they're made the same then, as they are now, they look to be excellent gloves for $60.

Thanks for the review! Our gym is stocked with revgear (mitts, thai pads, kick shields, etc.) and I hate it. I refuse to catch kicks with the revgear thai pads because I value my arms (fortunately we have some cageside thai pads floating around). The construction quality on the equipment is terrible and padding is awful. This is why I will likely never buy Revgear gloves.

lol at that vent hole!

Thanks all for reading this and the comments. Yes....i can see now that Revgear is subpar quality.

@Minowafanatic

My KOFG gloves have been bulletproof. I like those G&S....thanks for the link....gonna have to check them out:)

I never bothered with reviewing revgear due to other reviewers and peoples opinions of them being really low.

Thanks for reviewing them though. I think I haven't read any positive reviews about revgear yet.

thanks dude for the review !!!
please tell me how did you weigh the glove weight ? i tried my own twins with weight machine (i hope i said it properly ) .

thanks dude for the review !!!
please tell me how did you weigh the glove weight ? i tried my own twins with weight machine (i hope i said it properly ) .

My wife has a postal scale at home. I use that all the time.

LOL at "Ram Force" technology! I think I'll tell the ladies about it next time I get the chance! :icon_chee

I've only tried these gloves on before and hated them immediately once I put them on my hands: they felt like sticking my handing into lead pipes or something -- dense, hard, narrow, and long (*snicker*) was the feeling I got, which is usually not my top choice in glove feel. Just thought I'd add that to your awesome review! :)

I just threw up in my mouth a bit....I cant believe anybody bought these.

I just threw up in my mouth a bit....I cant believe anybody bought these.

Yup yup. Just call me the donkey wearing a straw hat for buying these hoping they would be decent....lol.

Last edited:
Back