Reversing your combos.

Sinister

Doctor of Doom
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Does anyone do this other than myself?

What it means is I actually throw my combinations in reverse according to punches. I've found it does a lot for being able to fight on my back foot, going backwards. It also does a lot for trickyness, as everyone expects a certain standard format of combinations. Instead of giving them what they expect sometimes I'll reverse it depending on the situation and where I am in the ring.

For instance let's say your average 1-2-3. Jab-cross-hook. I'll do that for a bit then reverse it. Hook-cross-jab. And what I envision is my opponent pressuring me and having to fend-off an onslaught or a clinch. It works surprisingly well in terms of being able to put together punches and do so fast, regardless of what happens to you. And some combinations actually work better in reverse from the standard way you'd throw them.

If anyone else does it I'd like to know about it, and if not give it a shot and let me know what you think.

Oh and this does also work for combinations for punching and kicking, and it helps the aspect of being able to tie in kicks with your punches. When I did other Arts I also incorporated reversing combinations.

I like to mix them up, but not necessarily reverse them. For example, I like to punch to the body with *every* combination if I can, and that usually requires you to start high.

One thing I love reversing all the time is the cross/hook. I commonly throw jab/hook/cross. My favorite combo in all of boxing is to hook off the jab, and I find it confuses people to no end when you do it right -- they are so used to jab/cross, that they get totally mixed up and you can catch them with both the hook and the cross.

King Kabuki said:

What it means is I actually throw my combinations in reverse according to punches. I've found it does a lot for being able to fight on my back foot, going backwards. It also does a lot for trickyness, as everyone expects a certain standard format of combinations. Instead of giving them what they expect sometimes I'll reverse it depending on the situation and where I am in the ring.

For instance let's say your average 1-2-3. Jab-cross-hook. I'll do that for a bit then reverse it. Hook-cross-jab. And what I envision is my opponent pressuring me and having to fend-off an onslaught or a clinch. It works surprisingly well in terms of being able to put together punches and do so fast, regardless of what happens to you. And some combinations actually work better in reverse from the standard way you'd throw them.

If anyone else does it I'd like to know about it, and if not give it a shot and let me know what you think.

Oh and this does also work for combinations for punching and kicking, and it helps the aspect of being able to tie in kicks with your punches. When I did other Arts I also incorporated reversing combinations.
Interestting. I'm going to try it.

One thing I have been working on is double jab then one long step back to getthe guy coming forward when he steps forward rock back a little bit then throw a straight right. I ti is a very effective setup because the guy is coming in and usually keeps coming because he thinks you are still going back. It has to be a pretty well set up deal though like you have to be jabbing quite a bit and moving back a little bit to get them to bite but if they do bite it is usually a big punch that lands as they will carry themselves into it. it especially works on a guy who is aggressive with his hands a little low.
I also set this up by throwing the jab to the body stepping to the right then stepping back. It has actually gotten me out of trouble with guys who can swarm you. I have even caught Bramble with it and if you catch him with any tricks you know it will work on most everyone becaus ehe has seen it all.

This is also really good if you are having trouble landing the jab because you kind of throw off his rythm. However this can get you in trouble as the jab is not going to be that hard of a punch so this is one time where you should try to end the combo witha right hand unless you are stepping out after the last punch.
What i would do if a guy strarted doing this to me is step back and to the right wait for the hook to come duck the hook and load up with a straight right to the body and left hook to the head so you need to be carefull of this.
One place you should definatly use this is if the guy is standing straight up then fake the jab, l.h., s.r., jab step out.
Also this is not fo r a begineer to try becuase alot of begineers tend to lean in when they lead witha left hook which will get you an uppercut straight up the middle.
In the case of reversing the punches you are better off throwing a long left uppercut to get inside then the straight right left hook straight right jab then step out. the reason is the uppercut may not land but it brings you in a better position bodywise and it can make him cover up high or lower his hands depending onthe guy which will give you a small opening for the straight or right cross to land.

King Kabuki said:

I love the hook to the ribs then the hook to the head like Tyson in his prime. And I find it extremeley effect in reverse also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back