1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Revenue from your Youtube channel

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by tonil, Oct 30, 2020.

1. tonil Red Card

Can anyone explain how that works ?
    There are some elements to it from what I understand , like :

* subscribers count
    " video view count
    " amount of likes per video
    " amount of dislikes

So the simple rule is , higher the numbers for those elements , higher the income from youtube ?
    Are they looked at as a whole or separately ?
    How much 10k views for a video can get you ?
    Do you get any money just based on the subscriber count or you are just rewarded with some statue or status ?

2. Jackie Blue Gold Belt

This video should help you out:

Also, a lot of it comes down to content, is your content advertiser-friendly, do you avoid swearing or at least mute/bleep out the swears, etc. Financial content seems to be the most lucrative per capita. Gaming content less so. Political content a lot less so, plus it often gets demonetized. Financial YouTube personalities like Graham Stephan make A LOT more money than other content creators with similar views, subscribers and engagement.

tonil, HelloJapan and Fluffernutter like this.
  3. HelloJapan Talking loud and saying nothing. Platinum Member

I believe it's $3-$5 per 1000 views. The likes/comments shit helps the video trend more, potentially raising your viewer count/what you'll make. I generally don't give a shit how many subs a channel has, you can buy those (same with likes). The real thing to look for is the percentage of views per video, compared to their sub number. If someone has a million subs, but only averaging 40,000 views per video, that's a shitty return. If one has 400,000 subs, but averages 100,000 views per video - good business. Also, what's their growth rate? Youtubers can gain extra income from adding their own ads/endorsements, but I tend to avoid those types.

Reality is, to make good money on YT is either a huge grind, or luck, and even then, good luck with longevity, those are few and far between. Lots of lazy motherfuckers avoiding getting a real job, on Youtube.

magicmarker, tonil, TheNinja and 2 others like this.
  4. Staph infection Glue historian

Another that helps is finding a niche market and exploiting it. So many people try the car, video game, make-up stuff but it is very saturated. If you do your research and find a niche it can benefit you greatly and YouTube will even help bump your channel a bit as well. You will still be somewhat limited but it can be a decent little side gig to make some cash with little competition.

5. Bubzeh Silver Belt

I always went under the assumption of 1mill views = 1k dollars. Course it all depends on how many ads are pumped into it too.

90 50 likes this.
  6. HelloJapan Talking loud and saying nothing. Platinum Member

Totally true. Some get over saturated, like prison channels. I think it's only going to get harder and harder on Youtube, just from sear competition. That being said, in the end, I think it's a good thing. Competition weeds out the subpar, raises quality.

7. loyalyolayal Banned Banned

Pretend you never heard of Journey, do the "Youtube Face" on your thumbnail, listen to said unknown super popular band, kill yourself.

BisexualMMA and Reyesnuthugr like this.
  8. Headkicktoleg Banned Banned

I'm pretty sure you open boxes and they give you a few million dollars

9. 90 50 Gold Belt

And also which ads are on it.

a good rule of thumb used to be 1.00 per 1k views. Some advertisers pay more than others so the bigger better stars get a higher perview number also I think there is a percentage cut when adds are skipped also.

to the OP, to monetize you need at least 1k subs, 10k total views and like 1000 watch time minutes, just to be allowed to monetize(or it used to be that way).

of course at this amount you won’t make shit but it helps to start somewhere.

Do something you like doing and are doing anyway and start posting them.

if it grows it grows. If it doesn’t , well no loss then is gt here..

tonil and Jackie Blue like this.
  10. Jackie Blue Gold Belt

Makeup/beauty is over-saturated, but the top of the food chain pays better than gaming even, at least pound for pound. The biggest gaming channels tend to be bigger, though. Because YouTube is male dominated. But gaming is even more over-saturated. Financial is a better market.

Staph infection likes this.
  11. tonil Red Card

So what you are all saying is larger amount of the income will come not from the youtube , but from sponsors targeting audience on your channel based on your content , not on the number of subs, likes or video views ?

btw,
    what about the view counter , anyone knows how that works , what are the rules ?

* How many seconds/minutes you need to watch video to trigger a counter ?
    " If you watch one video multiple times , does that increase the counter , or your IP is logged and your 'view' is counter just one time ?

12. GSP_37 Titanium Belt

There's a video by toy reviewer ShartimusPrime who spells out the factors involved and he said he doesn't make anywhere as much as websites declare he did.

I don't understand how companies would spend so much for ads to enable some to make millions.

13. Alphaboy Gold Belt

God, I miss 2005-2008 era Youtube when it was homemade videos and crappy AMVs with watermarks.

Before it became all corporate with a bunch of people doing anything to go viral or monetize their videos and the same ads playing every 2 cot damn seconds.

Jackie Blue likes this.
  14. Staph infection Glue historian

Yeah top make-up people can make a killing and so gamer based channels but most gamer channels now seem to be geared towards just the highlights of Twitch streamers, people doing stats video, or vintage stuff. Even the over saturated stuff can still have newcomers who rise to the top. It is just like anything else entertainment based, if you have the "IT" factor you can take over.

Jackie Blue likes this.
  15. Sirwastealot Silver Belt

The youtubers making the big money are kids channels. They are absolutely killing it with the kids market, they get direct access to kids through youtube to market their toys and other products.

I think its really bad for the kids but its easy money so theres all kinds of channels popping up.

16. Randlewand Black Belt

Didn't Youtube recently change the reimbursement schedule for those channels?

17. Sirwastealot Silver Belt

No idea but if they did its about time. This kind of stuff is harmful.

18. TidWell Banned Banned

Adsense whenever they watch a video ad or click on an ad you get paid varied amounts depending on wht the advertiser pays per click, and then you got superchat donations and patreon.

Some people actually make a good living and are not famous at all from youtube, I know a few guys who just do live super chat discussions and have a subscribe base of only 25k but they make bank on super chat, I seen them put a two hour chat and clear 5 grand one time. Some guys do super chats 4 days a week and clear over 600 bucks a chat and then combine it with the adsense. They could easily be making over 90k a year.

Live stream gambling and gaming channels too, people will donate money during these live streams, I think YT gets a cut though

19. TidWell Banned Banned

Also during election night you will see a gang of live streams, those 3 hour long or more live streams during the debate on youtube will make a gang of cash, especially if people donate during super chat.

20. tonil Red Card

when you watch those kids videos there are really weird kids videos popping up even in restricted mode.