Revealed at Last: What Makes People Like Rickson and Marcelo Garcia good at BJJ?

Marcelo and Rickson to me is the embodiment of "hicks law"

Basically Hicks law is how quickly someone can make choices based on the options that they have or know.So in short it is that the fewer choices a person has the less time it takes to make a decision. The added benift of having less options is that you sharpen the tools you have to a much higher level. Ricksons invisible jiu jitsu seminars are basically white belt "basic" material that everybody learns.Everybody I personally talked to and read that has gone to the seminar say how he will show say one detail to a mount,or hip escape and makes the percentage rate skyrocket and will nail black belts with moves that are supposed to stop working at the blue belt level. Simillar to me with Marcelo I think of RNC,guillotine ,and north south choke.Everybody knows one of those moves are coming but he still gets them I feel that is do to his mental speed and refinement of his limited aresnal even thought he is capable of doing more.

Last edited:
Acai infused yogic breathing, obviously.

It's probably like every other sport in the world, you need some combo of:

- technique
- practice
- talent
- athleticism
- strength
- mental fortitude
- etc.

Being really good in one area can make up for being deficient in another to a certain extent.

Has anyone seen the Marco Barbosa video? I am a big concept > technique guy and this sounds right up my alley. Budovideos has them in stock, but it's "Portugese subtitled in Japanese".

Vid worth it? Available with english?

I have not seen the video but I met Barbosa in Japan when I was a white belt and to this day I have never felt so helpless when grappling, not even close.

Barbosa is a pretty unassuming looking guy and he absolutely mauled everyone in our gym, standing and on the ground. His speciality was to wrap guys up in side control and make them scream by digging his chin into their ribs. He did it to everyone...

They stay one step ahead of the opponent during every transition.

Back