Reuters: Hundreds of thousands of Greeks protest FYROM name "Macedonia"

Didn't the Romans do that too and a ton of shit in Italy is kinda chronicled as such?

And besides that, my understanding always was the Macedonians viewed themselves as Macedonian, not Greek. I admittedly could be wrong on that.

You can’t attribute modern concepts such as ethnicity/race/nations as today, but the ancient Macedonians were Greeks and considered themselves Greek. The first reference to that is Alexander leading his pan Hellenic invasion of Persia and referring to all participants as Greeks. Secondly they spoke a Greek dialect, and the slavs have a field day with this because the ancients referred to it as a different dialect. The truth is that all Greek city states has unique dialects, and this holds true today in greece (there is a small population that speaks a dialect similar to ancient lacemadonian). Classical academia considers them to be Greek.

Finally all ancient Greeks loves to accuse each other of not being Greek (barbarian - which literally means someone who doesn’t speak Greek). Sparta and Athens would always accuse each other of not being real Greeks, and when the Macedonians took over the same was applied to them. It was a way of accusing other Greeks of not being cultured or having a good pedigree. Athenian made fun of Macedonians for having adult homosexual sex and drinking too much wine.

How about you change your display picture from a sexual abuser before posting your excrementitious opinion on Greece?
No. Stop acting like such a Macedonian.

To add to the context, Greece has been treated like shit by Western historians in regards to their Byzantine history. Who here learns about Byzantium in medieval history class? Who was taught that the Roman Empire Fell before 1453? Most of you. Thankfully modern historians are correcting their mistakes butfoe the Greek a huge part of their cultural history was set aside, ignored, and grossly misinterpreted. The word Byzantine has a negative connotation, despite it being the most humane and important power of medieval Europe.

On top of that Greeks have been expelled from Asia Minor, the Black Sea, Alexandria, and Constantinople from 1920-1950s despite living their for thousands of years without the western world giving a shit. The Asia Minor Greeks were subject to genocide and no one gave a shit. Cyprus was invaded and half of it annexed to Turkey and no one gives a shit. Now some new Slavic country wants to claim the ancient history for themselves? Of course this is infuriating to the Greek and of course the Greek is defensive. Being defensive and stubborn is the only thing that has kept our unique language and culture alive for 5000+ Years whilst all our ancient neighbours died out or changed so much they are unrecognisable from their ancestors.

Does the American state make false claims to real Georgian history? No. Learn some logic.
The republic of Macedonia substantially overlaps with the geography of historical Macedonia.

If that's good enough for Dakota, it's good enough for me.

But random insults and assertions aren't "logic", Aris-not-le. (See what I did there? I referred to a Greek philosopher who did understand what logic entails, and traveled from classical Greece to Macedonia, a different place.).

The republic of Macedonia substantially overlaps with the geography of historical Macedonia.

If that's good enough for Dakota, it's good enough for me.

But random insults and assertions aren't "logic", Aris-not-le. (See what I did there? I referred to a Greek philosopher who did understand what logic entails, and traveled from classical Greece to Macedonia, a different place.).

The land of ancient Macedonia spreads from Greece to India dipshit. The actual city state/capital was in modern Greece. You don’t understand logic or it’s definition. Now go enroll in college.

The land of ancient Macedonia spreads from Greece to India dipshit. The actual city state/capital was in modern Greece. You don’t understand logic or it’s definition. Now go enroll in college.
I'm talking about the borders of Macedonia prior to Phillip II kicking Grecian ass. These borders substantially overlapped with the nation now called "The Republic of Macedonia." The fact that they conquered your predecessors doesn't give you exclusive rights to the name. (The same way that being rekt by the Romans and ruled by the ERE doesn't make you Roman). They conquered lots of places. Nor does the fact that parts of the old kingdom are in modern day Greece; the same is true for the Republic of Macedonia.

Incidentally, it was a kingdom, not a city-state. If you had studied the relevant history, then you should have known that. And if you understood "logic or it's definition", you would present more than a series of loosely connected claims strung together with insults.

Last edited:
This is an issue basically of the corrupt Macedonian government. Greece has absolutely no leverage or power what so ever and are surviving on handouts. tens of thousands of greeks have to cross into Macedonia daily just to buy food at non-EU prices.
<36>

I'm talking about the borders of Macedonia prior to Phillip II kicking Grecian ass. These borders substantially overlapped with the nation now called "The Republic of Macedonia." The fact that they conquered your predecessors doesn't give you exclusive rights to the name. (The same way that being rekt by the Romans and ruled by the ERE doesn't make you Roman). They conquered lots of places. Nor does the fact that parts of the old kingdom are in modern day Greece; the same is true for the Republic of Macedonia.

Incidentally, it was a kingdom, not a city-state. If you had studied the relevant history, then you should have known that. And if you understood "logic or it's definition", you would present more than a series of loosely connected claims strung together with insults.

I have a degree in classics and wrote my dissertation on Macedonia you inbred swine. Ancient Macedonia was a city state and a kingdom - the two are not mutually exclusive. Most Greek city states had kings. The northern borders of the kingdom was not the center or the civilisation or culture and that is why it is directly comparable to the other parts of the Empire.

The ancient Macedonians were Greek. The modern Macedonians in northern Greece are Greek. FYROM is a Slavic nation with no relation other than geography.

This is an issue basically of the corrupt Macedonian government. Greece has absolutely no leverage or power what so ever and are surviving on handouts. tens of thousands of greeks have to cross into Macedonia daily just to buy food at non-EU prices.
<36>

The Greeks can prevent both EU and NATO membership. Greece is important to NATO since it has a very large and modern army in a political hotspot.

I have a degree in classics and wrote my dissertation on Macedonia you inbred swine. Ancient Macedonia was a city state and a kingdom - the two are not mutually exclusive. Most Greek city states had kings. The northern borders of the kingdom was not the center or the civilisation or culture and that is why it is directly comparable to the other parts of the Empire.

The ancient Macedonians were Greek. The modern Macedonians in northern Greece are Greek. FYROM is a Slavic nation with no relation other than geography.
I hope you didn't pay for that degree, but it wouldn't be the first time a Greek wasted money.

Yes, some city states were monarchical (which is not synonymous with Kingdom, see Aristotle on Composition/Division to understand the error you are making here).
But the monarch ruled over a city(-state). See, a key feature of a city state is the singular in city. The city-states were independent, self-governing political units of themselves. The city of Athens was, in effect, the state of Athens. They dominated other cities and established colonies, but Athens was the important part.

Macedonia was not defined and dominated by a single polis. It was a Kingdom defined by its territorial holdings, which included multiple (small) cities and rural tribes. Its capital shifted several times.

Your remaining claims amount to poorly formed theories of race and inheritance that can be summarized as "REEEEEEE SLAVS AND CULTURAL APPROPRIATION," and should be dismissed as such.

Last edited:
The Greeks can prevent both EU and NATO membership. Greece is important to NATO since it has a very large and modern army in a political hotspot.
macedonia won't be in those organisations as well as any other landlocked European country. It has nothing to do with Greece. The EU is basically Germany and mama Merkel taking over Europe and creating an artificial border, Macedonia is fucked either way. LOL if you are implying Greece starting a war in it's current state.
<{hughesimpress}>

Large and modern? What? I mean I guess it’s large in relation to its size...and about as well equipped as any nato member it’s size could be but let’s not wax the pole TOO furiously.

That area will go which ever way US wants. Like Kosovo I mean really Kosovo is a part of Albania but officially it is not. I wonder which 'greater campaign US will back they already backed the greater Albania campaign
Serbs suffered greatly in defeating the Muhammedan advance towards Europe, and in return the West has been screwing them over. The jihadists who were attacking Serbs in the 90s, have their sights set on dominating Europe, and the Europeans are enabling them to do it.

Damn Greeks...
d6f.jpg

Back