Reuters: Hundreds of thousands of Greeks protest FYROM name "Macedonia"

Holy fook. Those greedy fuckers already took feta. I say cut all EU funds and let em sink.

...which would also include big parts of western macedonia (fyrom). it's still in works. not a long time ago soros funded a colorful "revolution" with the intention to install the opposition (incl. albanians) in power. the talks about the name and many other things in progress is basically the result of that success.
btw kosovo was a part of serbia...

Yeah they want a Muslim expansion in that region. So odd. Agree. Kosovo is gone now though only ethnic cleansing could make it Serbian. When 98% population is loyal to Albania and Islam orthodox christianity can never hold that land. I read Albania offers huge border movement with Kosovo etc.

How about the Greeks just shut the fuck up.

How about you change your display picture from a sexual abuser before posting your excrementitious opinion on Greece?

If the Greeks wanted to be called macedonians they should have named themselves accordingly.

There is a region called Macedonia because it is Macedonia. Greeks from there are called Macedonia. You’re an idiot.

Who cares? In most of the Eastern world, Greece is known as "Younan" from the ancient term "Ionia" which was a region of Ancient Greece located mostly (aside from a few islands) in modern day Anatolian "Turkey" rather than mainland European Greece, don't see anyone caring about that misnomer.

Not to mention a whole host of other countries are also misnamed so this isn't unique to Greece vs FYROM. Oh & I don't even want to get into genetics & how majority of Balkan Slavs are majority Slavicized Indigenous Balkan people (this is why Bulgarians & Poles clearly don't look alike) so Macedonian Slavs are probably descended in large part from ancient Greco-Macedonians, Illyrians, Dacians, Thracians etc; in essence they probably do also have ancestral claim as well if it were to get to that (as do modern Greeks obviously as well).

Cool opinion but DNA analysis begs to differ.

So greeks are geting worked up over something that was never greece? Hmmm.

Ancient Macedonia spanned parts of present day Greece, Bulgaria and the former Yugoslavia. Macedonia is quite different from Serbo-croatian and very similar to Bulgarian IIRC.

The ancient kingdom of Macedonia (pictured below) goes back to 400BC so I don't know why Greeks are rustled.

Macedonia_region_map_wikipedia.png

I’ll make this simple for you.

Ancient Macedonia is an Ancient Greek state. They spoke Greek, worshipped the Greek gods and considered themselves Hellenes.

The modern Greeks of Macedonia consider themselves Macedonian and are the cultural, genetic and linguistic descendants of the Ancients.

The modern slavs of FYROM are not Greek and have no connection to Ancient Macedonia. Likewise, no important section of Ancient Macedonia overlaps with FYROM. Your own map even shows the capitals clearly being in modern Greece.

Despite this, these slavs build statues of Alexander the Great and publish pseudo history claiming descent. Their airport is named the Alexander the Great airport despite the name already being used in Thessaloniki.

Under your logic the Bulgars could claim the name as well. Or Mexico could build statues of George Washington and claim descent because they once owned California.

Also linguistically their language is Bulgarian, it’s not even a seperate language but a dialect. Bulgars do not like these slavs either since they flaslelt claim that Bulgar emperors were actually from FYROM. They are the joke of the Balkans.

Who cares? In most of the Eastern world, Greece is known as "Younan" from the ancient term "Ionia" which was a region of Ancient Greece located mostly (aside from a few islands) in modern day Anatolian "Turkey" rather than mainland European Greece, don't see anyone caring about that misnomer.

Not to mention a whole host of other countries are also misnamed so this isn't unique to Greece vs FYROM. Oh & I don't even want to get into genetics & how majority of Balkan Slavs are majority Slavicized Indigenous Balkan people (this is why Bulgarians & Poles clearly don't look alike) so Macedonian Slavs are probably descended in large part from ancient Greco-Macedonians, Illyrians, Dacians, Thracians etc; in essence they probably do also have ancestral claim as well if it were to get to that (as do modern Greeks obviously as well).

The Ionians left Anatolia during a genocide in the 1920s. The difference here is that younan refers to ethnic Greeks and Greek history and you still refer to them as such. The Macedonian thing is different because they have taken a name that has nothing to do with them. Greeks themselves don’t even refer to themselves as Greeks btw.

lol @ retarded Greeks getting worked up over a name. Great priorities. I would think Greek Sherdoggers would be better than that but here they are crying about it.

There is a region called Macedonia because it is Macedonia. Greeks from there are called Macedonia. You’re an idiot.

<1>

Brb telling Georgia that they need to rename their country because there's a state in the US called Georgia.

<1>

Brb telling Georgia that they need to rename their country because there's a state in the US called Georgia.

Does the American state make false claims to real Georgian history? No. Learn some logic.

lol @ retarded Greeks getting worked up over a name. Great priorities. I would think Greek Sherdoggers would be better than that but here they are crying about it.

You’d understand if your ancestors achieved anything.

I get that but I feel like this is such a goofy thing to come up.

They are not just calling their country Macedonia. They take Greek cultural symbols, build statues of Greeks, name their instructions and buildings after Greeks all the while claiming he’d people are not Greek and claiming to be the true heirs to their legacy. They publish false pseudo history text books that claim Alexander the Great was a Slav. I’ve met people who literally believe this shit.

They are not just calling their country Macedonia. They take Greek cultural symbols, build statues of Greeks, name their instructions and buildings after Greeks all the while claiming he’d people are not Greek and claiming to be the true heirs to their legacy. They publish false pseudo history text books that claim Alexander the Great was a Slav. I’ve met people who literally believe this shit.
Didn't the Romans do that too and a ton of shit in Italy is kinda chronicled as such?

And besides that, my understanding always was the Macedonians viewed themselves as Macedonian, not Greek. I admittedly could be wrong on that.

Back