Reusable Shopping Bags

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Shawn91111, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Shawn91111 Brown Belt

I fully acknowledge my city/town being behind the times, so others may already be well versed in this practice, however my city just went to no plastic bags at any store (grocery, pharmacy, gas station etc) and you use your reusable shopping bag.

It has been 3 weeks, and I still am not used to it at all. My wife does the grocery shopping every 10 days or so and uses the bags, but if I am just going into the store, pharmacy etc I never remember anything. I will come out with my arms full of items, trying to get my keys to get into the car.

Is anyone's city/town completely off plastic bags? How long does it take to remember to bring a bag with you into the store?

2. JabToucher Banned Banned

It's only just hit you?

Last few years people in UK have been charged up to 10p per bag. When they used to be free!

I've never once remembered to bring my own bag for life.

3. JAEGERX Gold Belt

YE out here we're all out of plastic bags, which is bullshit anyway, we're gonna be extinct way before that enviroment science kills us all

4. TheRash Green Belt

My hometown had a brilliant moment the last year where they downright banned plastic bags.

Then they had a dumbass moment and revoked the ban this year. Now we are back to landfill looking landscape. I guess it was too hard for the city council to keep reusable grocery bags.

But for that one year it was nice not seeing plastic bags blow down the streets like leaves in the fall.

5. loyalyolayal Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

6. cmw43 Bad Boys Club

Do they not sell reusable bags at the store?

It took me a while but I take a backpack to work and keep at least one squashed up shopping bag inside at all times in case I decide to pick anything up on the way home.

7. Hungry Joe Purple Belt

We dont have that here but I always try to bring my own bags.
    I always laugh at the cashier when I have one small item and they try to bag it for me. Why do I need a bag when I can easily carry it or even put it in my pocket

8. Fuzzybabyducks Hot girl that’s into ketchup. she/her pricechopper

I think this is a new thing pretty much everywhere. They started here in October with selling plastic bags at 10 cents a bag now after the new year u have to bring a bag . I always forget them and have to buy a new reusable one every time ...

9. Headkicktoleg Yellow Card Yellow Card

I wish we would switch. They are probably the biggest misuse of plastic, but I end up with like 2 bags everyday.

10. Dat Boi Yellow Belt

I use paper bags now.
    So green.

11. Phlog Dad Belt

I've got fucking hundreds of bags for life at home. Never remember to take em. I despair!

12. weed ベルセルク

13. Senzo Tanaka Silver Belt

I still remember as a kid getting asked paper or plastic at the grocery store.

Plastic only became a thing because they were cheaper to mass produce and saved stores money. It was never about being better. We always picked paper.

We're just going back to the way it was before except now they are shifting the cost and burden to the consumer.

14. legatoblues Green Belt

Keep your reusable bags in the car, problem solved.

15. djacobox372 Gold Belt

Reusable shopping bags are a filthy health hazard.

16. ralphc1 Steel Belt Platinum Member

They haven't banned them here yet but I've had my own bags for several years. I have insulated bags that are stronger than the plastic ones and don't crush everything in them. I've gotten in the habit of keeping some in my vehicles.

17. nostradumbass Steel Belt

It's a pretty sweet scam. Plastic replacements are worse for the environment than the plastic they're replacing. You would have to reuse a paper bag 43 times to have the same environmental impact as plastic, and an organic cotton bag would have to be reused 20,000 times. Most people also reuse plastic bags for bathroom and office trashcans or cleaning their car, which you can't do with paper or cotton bags. Not to mention all the shit you're buying as well as the bags were made in factories, came in crates and boxes tied together with plastic straps and shipped in trucks. But it's nice for the stores to throw on an extra charge for taking your own groceries home after making you be your own cashier.

<{outtahere}>

18. monkeyrhythm Blue Belt

They've gone up to 20 fucking p in Sainsbury's now!

Women, civil servants and vegans are the only people who remember to bring their own shopping bags.

19. Jimmy McGill Bored with Sherdog Banned

Murica's 51st State....Formerly Known as England
    It's been a thing for over 5 years for me, and I still forget to take a bag with me.

20. weed ベルセルク

I thought all dudes carried a neatly folded bag or two in their 5th pocket/pocket?

you know, in case you have an emergency volcanic firehea situation & don't want to nuke the joint, so you make a quick run to a dark street corner/alleyway whateverthefuck.