Resto admits he and Lewis 'killed' Collins

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Frank Butcher, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Frank Butcher

Frank Butcher Blue Belt

YOU are going to hate this story.

It's a tale of anguish, misery and suffering. It's a tragedy as grotesque as "Irish" Billy Collins's face the night nearly 25 years ago when the fighter Luis Resto and his trainer, Panama Lewis, assaulted Collins.

They permanently damaged Collins's vision, ended his boxing career when the 21-year-old was undefeated in 14 pro fights, and set in motion gears that would drive Collins toward his death nine months later.

Their weapons: Resto's fists and boxing gloves, from which padding had been removed.

Resto disclosed in a news conference that in addition to being aware that Lewis had doctored his gloves, his hand wraps had been soaked in plaster, which hardened into casts.

So when Collins told his father and trainer, Billy Collins snr, midway through the fight that it felt as if Resto (20-8-2, 8 KOs) had rocks in his gloves, it was because Resto essentially did.

All these years later, we discover the horror more horrible than imagined. But this truth sets no one free.

To watch their June 16, 1983, Madison Square Garden fight on YouTube, Resto's punches striking Collins's skull like hammerheads, sickens. To see Collins's bruised face after the 10-round fight, eyelids blackened, puffed and hooded shut (it looks as if he's wearing a zombie mask), nauseates.

To hear how Collins's iris was torn, how he drank and sank into depression and a sinkhole of jobs he couldn't hold, and of how he reportedly hit his 18-year-old wife, saddens. In the early hours of March 7, 1984, Billy Collins drove his '72 Oldsmobile Cutlass off a road and into a creek near his Antioch home in Tennessee. Collins was driving too fast and had drunk too much. But some family members and boxing fans cite another cause of death.

They say Collins died that night in the ring. That might be an overstatement. Resto and Lewis didn't pry Collins's mouth open for drinks or insert his keys into the ignition.

But they killed something inside him. They robbed him of his dream and the vision with which to discover another. That can destroy a man, too.

Resto and Lewis served 2

2. Kid McCoy

Kid McCoy Black Belt

It's a very sad story Frank, one incidently written by Brian Ettkin of the Times.

I could never imagine how the ref never noticed how misshapen the gloves were.

Lewis was and remains a real.... whatever.

3. prontostar

prontostar Gymmy TUNDAH!

it's amazing that collins was never koed during the fight.

4. BrooklynBomber

BrooklynBomber The Champ is Here

Scumfuck shitsucking ***got murdering cheat who deserved far worse than he got?

5. GlassJaw

GlassJaw SBC hustler.

You don't have to soften it up BB LOL

guys an epic level P.O.S

6. SUGARSHANERULEZ

SUGARSHANERULEZ Brown Belt

Motherfucker should be in jail, both of them. Atlas mentioned that one of these guys has a book coming out, and all these recent admissions may very well be a way to hype it up. Don't buy it, Lewis, Resto, or whoever don't deserve a penny.

7. Teedoh74

Teedoh74 Black Belt

This is why I still don't believe Aaron Pryor defeated Alexis Arguello fairly. Panama Lewis needs to pay for hs crimes.

8. TKDhasBin

TKDhasBin Green Belt

Some folks just don't have souls.....

Resto seems to have remorse (haven't seen the film) from what I've read......you can find remorse in the dictionary between Rat and Retard.

It's a bell that can't be unrung.......

9. BrooklynBomber

BrooklynBomber The Champ is Here

Sure did the second time though.

10. TKDhasBin

TKDhasBin Green Belt

I've thought about this too......I remember when the fight happened that there was bantering here and there about what Lewis may have "Mixed" in the bottle....Some folks postulated that it may have been some type of amphetamine or "upper".....Lewis maintained at the time that it was a concoction with Orange juice and water......

I don't know........AA hit Pryor with shots that almost broke him in half.........Pryor either had a real granite chin......or AA lost his punch at 140......I tend to think it is the former and not the latter........We'll never know what was truly in the bottle. Pryor probably didn't know himself.

11. Kid McCoy

Kid McCoy Black Belt

Ya.

That'll do.

12. Kid McCoy

Kid McCoy Black Belt

Billy Costello would agree.

13. YAPUREHEAVYDAFT

YAPUREHEAVYDAFT Orange Belt

Boxing has the most intresting storys most end bad though.

14. Tobacco

Tobacco --------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I struggle to think of a lot of feel good endings.

15. evanr00

evanr00 Guest

Ya know Teddy Atlas is always calling for a national commission, but I think that idea needs to be applied towards a world commission. The fact that even though banned in the US Panama Lewis can still be involved in the boxing world is disgraceful.
    A world commission could issue a total ban from boxing, but more importantly his ass should be in jail for the things he's done!

16. SUGARSHANERULEZ

SUGARSHANERULEZ Brown Belt

Absolutely no question that he cheated in the first fight. Its on tape anyone who denies it is retarded. Probably a trick Lewis used a few times, I doubt it was an isolated incident.

17. lugubriousduck

lugubriousduck Banned Banned

Aaron Pryor to a certain extent even admitted there was some sort of stimulant in the bottle and that is why he gave Alexis the rematch. I honestly feel Pryor didn't need it.

18. BootyDaddy

BootyDaddy Big Bad

Although unforgivable, Resto feels remorse and lives with that every day, which he undoubtedly should.

It takes a big man to admit they were wrong, which says everything about Panama Lewis in this case. I don't understand why any fighter would want to work with that c*nt.

19. prie$t

prie$t Purple Belt

Maybe if he had been he'd still be alive today. To me it's one of a few stories that always stirs emotions when i hear it.

The emotion being anger.

20. metalfan

metalfan Purple Belt

the safta fighting center in tulare ca usa
    its amazeing that resto and lewis served only 2 and a half years it should have been more like 25 to life.