Resident Evil 2 Remake/General

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE WARMASTER

Smell those Douglas firs
@purple
Reaction score
So, it may finally be happening.

It was reported about a week and a half ago that Yoshiaki hirabayashi, producer of the Resident Evil HD Remaster, had put together a pitch to Capcom for a RE2 Remake.

residentevil2hd_610.jpg

Capcom's facebook page has surveyed fans about their interest in a remake of the classic sequel for years, but more recently it seems the surveys have increased--and the response has always been positive.

The HD remaster of the Resident Evil remake, formerly a Gamecube exclusive (and later on Wii), went on to break records for Capcom's best-selling digital title when the enchanced version was released worldwide across various consoles early this year.

As a massive fan of the original trilogy, I have a love/hate feeling towards this project, as it has the potential to be both great and absolutely horrible.

RE2 is such a timeless classic.

If you owned a PS1, chances are you owned Resident Evil 2, or least played it frequently over a buddy's house. If the remake fails, I don't believe it will taint the original. What it will do however, is create a reluctance to return to the original formula: Horror, isolation, and having to truly survive throughout the game--without an onslaught of weapons and seemingly superhero-esque characters.

Frankly, the original fans of the Resident Evil/Biohazard franchise have gotten old.

Capcom stated a few years back that they were not only targeting the action-oriented fans of the Call of Duty franchise, but that they were also focusing towards a younger demographic, as they feared that the original audience was on the verge of "outgrowing videogames." Though it seems with the recent success of the Remake HD port (along with the widespread criticism of RE6), they have changed their minds.

As for the remake of Resident Evil 2, they have a masterpiece to work from:

--The story is there.

--The characters are there.

--The layout is there.

--The music is there.

In my opinion, all they would need to do is update the graphics (along with some great cinematics), make some minor adjustments to the controls, and hire some decent voice actors.

Until then, we have Resident Evil Zero HD coming out in October, and somewhere in the wings, the curious Resident Evil 7, which I suspect will also attempt to return to the roots of survival horror.

So how do you feel about this potential remake?

Last edited:
I'm excited for it. It's been 13 years in the making.

I'm split on if they should make it from the 3rd person perspective, or the fixed camera angles. Both have their advantages, but give total different experiences in terms of atmosphere and gameplay.

As for the future of RE, drop RE7 and treat the RE2make as the future beginning of the series. Give it a mixture of fan service and new material to give it the option of going into a different direction thereafter.

Also, AlphaOmegaSin had a celebratory video about this subject.

[Yt]2-nxQbPdpdQ[/MEDIA]

Mr. X should follow you around like Nemesis does in 3.

I'm excited for it. It's been 13 years in the making.

I'm split on if they should make it from the 3rd person perspective, or the fixed camera angles. Both have their advantages, but give total different experiences in terms of atmosphere and gameplay.

As for the future of RE, drop RE7 and treat the RE2make as the future beginning of the series. Give it a mixture of fan service and new material to give it the option of going into a different direction thereafter.

Also, AlphaOmegaSin had a celebratory video about this subject.

[Yt]2-nxQbPdpdQ[/MEDIA]

Yep, I made this thread specifically for you and a couple other hardcore RE fans on Sherdog.

It's crazy to think that RE2 is almost 18 years old. I still remember playing the demo at a local video rental store. My friend was joking about how next year, you could literally fuck someone who was born when RE2 came out--and not go to prison! Creepy, but true lol.

Personally I would have to go with the fixed camera angles in keeping with the traditonal format, but I'm also extremely biased towards the original games. As long as the atmosphere and gameplay is intact, I'll be happy with it.

Last edited:
Mr. X should follow you around like Nemesis does in 3.

Oh FUCK yes, that would be amazing.

Except, the attacks would be random. For example, there's 50 places he could attack out of nowhere throughout the campaign, but 12 of those locations are actually used.

You could be playing through the game for a 5th or 6th time and think you know of all the places he could bust through the wall, or grab your leg through the floor and pull you down to a floor beneath, etc etc but then he scares the shit out of you in a new way you hadn't encountered before.

Shit, this reminds me of being on online forums in the late 90s and early 2000s discussing the awesome directions they could take things with new RE games.

The REmaster sold through the roof. That's all the evidence that was needed to show how much fans would eat this up.

I'm still skeptical with no Mikami around but so long as they followed the same formula they did with the REmake then I'd be on board.

Static cameras and tank controls. Don't turn this into a third person shooter.

Didn't the RE 1 remake on GC come out really good? What if they just remade it like that?

Didn't the RE 1 remake on GC come out really good? What if they just remade it like that?

Indeed.

The game was amazing but it suffered low sales, largely due to it being a Gamecube exclusive. Resident Evil Zero (which is getting it's own remastered treatment in October) suffered even worse due to being released shortly after the Remake.

The issue, is that the RE1 remake was made with Mikami, the director of the original, and most of the things they added to the remake were ideas he'd envisioned for the original--that were cut due to time/budget constraints.

Unfortunatly, the original director of RE2, Hideki Kamiya, recently declined to be a part of the remake (stating, "I've never liked horror games. I don't want to be frightened!" lol).

So, hopefully whoever they choose to direct it will keep the tone of RE2 alive.

As long as it has prerendered backgrounds, ink ribbons/typewriters to save, item boxes, so-bad-it's-good voice acting, fixed camera angles, tank controls, and doesn't go overboard with the rng like 3 did.

The REmake added alot. The question is what they should add to RE2.

If it was just shot-for-shot & step-by-step remake of RE2, that'd be dissapointing.

I'd hope they would keep the same graphical quality of the REmaster, but with the promised 1080i resolution that wasn't kept, and put more of an emphasis on gameplay, atmosphere, and terror. I'd rather Capcom not spend the money and the development time on making it push the PS4's graphical limits.

Gameplay, by making the tank controls feel more fluid (probably by keeping the 'move the joystick in the direction you want to move' aspect), and the 180 degree spin (was that in the REmake/Remaster?). Also, possibly adding a sprinting movement - because running sometimes doesn't feel like running, more like jogging.

Atmosphere, by doing what they did to the mansion inbetween RE1 and the REmake, to the Ra**** City police department.

Terror, by making it far more unpredictable. I was thinking of what I said about the Tyrant in my last post, what if they did kind of the same thing to zombies? Except split the game up between three or four areas in which there's a set amount of zombies, except randomly generated between rooms. In your first playthrough there was two zombies in a certain room, but in your second playthrough there are three. Or in your first playthrough there were four zombies in a room, but now there's one, now you're fearful of where the other three could be.

Also, don't limit the type of monsters that are in a single room. Ever notice in the original RE games there aren't crows and zombies in the same room? Same goes with zombie dogs. They're always seperated. When entering a room, you can tell which type of monsters are there there, you go into the equip menu (which pauses the game, kinda killing the tension) pick one of the weapons you have to deal with that specific monster, unpause the game and clean house. Imagine the tension if you have deal with multiple types of monsters coming at you at once.

Zombies, cerberuses, and crows... oh my.

Or even worse.... Hunters and Crimson Heads.

^ Imagine fighting all of Birkin's transformations. The closest we've had to an update was Darkside Chronicles lol.

resident_evil_dark_side_chronicl-11.jpg

SS000012a_psd_jpgcopy.jpg

Surely they'll keep:

latest

Last edited:
What I would add:

Continuity with 3 (for example, the window should be busted around the West stairwell because of Nemesis).
Crimson Heads! In fact, have them outright replace the lame Lickers.
The 180 turn. Capcom added it to the DS version of 1 and it makes a huge difference.
Mr. X randomly following you from room to room (and not just in the b scenarios).
No need to push an additional button to run (Parasite Eve did this back in 98).
Skippable cutscenes. You can do this on the GC version of 2.

And speaking of Birkin...check out this cosplay. The eye even moves.

http://kotaku.com/when-resident-evil-cosplay-gets-realistic-and-disgustin-1722653458

My only gripe with the REmaster is it only runs at 60 fps on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back