Required Comp Gi

AzRich75

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Anybody required to wear a specific brand competition gi? I am not talking about a specific brand for class, but a required gi that if you want to compete, you have to wear.

I am in this situation now and the problem for me lies in that the required gi fits absolutely horrible. My gi brand of choice fits me perfect in A1 and the required brand gi at A0 is still big on me after hot washing/drying three times. I literally feel like I am weaing a parachute. The running joke is that I should try on a kids M3 in the same brand to see if that will fit me.

I believe that you compete in what you train in. And I have no problem buying multiples of my preferred gi, which is more expensiive then the required gi, but this is being done in the name of team unity and whatnot which leaves me feeling in a bind. It isn't as if my stuff won't be patched up for affiliation and academy, just not the required gi brand due to crappy sizing.

Just venting and seeing how others have handled it.

Fuck that. Compete in whatever gi you want and enter as an independent.

Fuck that. Compete in whatever gi you want and enter as an independent.

Yea it has been wearing on my pretty bad and I can see that it has been wearing on my professor a bit as well when he had to announce it to the academy as well. If they won't be happy being fuly patched up to represent the affiliation in a different gi, then entering as independent is basically what I would do. I would still enter patched up repping affiliation and academy in my gi of choice.

So what? The head of the affiliation essentially sold out every competitive student in every one of his academies, and is trying to force them to spend money on a specific gi, because that gi company wrote him a check?

Fuck that.

I don't know who your affiliate is, but that sounds super shady. I would enter as an independent, and wear patches repping your instructor, but not the association. And If I was your instructor, I would look into affiliating with less money-centric people.

So what? The head of the affiliation essentially sold out every competitive student in every one of his academies, and is trying to force them to spend money on a specific gi, because that gi company wrote him a check?

Fuck that.

I don't know who your affiliate is, but that sounds super shady. I would enter as an independent, and wear patches repping your instructor, but not the association. And If I was your instructor, I would look into affiliating with less money-centric people.

Like I mentioned, it isn't a money issue for me and I am almost 100% that it isn't a money thing for the head of the affiliation here in the US. If the required comp gi fit, I would replace my entire collection with them to have them both for training and comp. Hell if the comp gi was my preferred brand, I would not even be making this thread. The only issue at hand is the fit and then ultimately having to run independent in tournaments if it becomes a go/no go issue on not wearing it.

Do whatever you want, play dumb and playfully deflect if asked.

Back