Elections Republicans Have Won Popular Vote Once Since 1988 : Update Lost Again

I pretty much disagree.

There are legitimate differences in how people in different parts of the country lives. And in the less sparse parts of the country, those needs are just as important. I live in a major city but I frequently find myself driving through rural parts of the state or spending time there. And it always reminds me that the things I need in the city are worthless out there. And the things that they need are worthless to me in the city. But the city has more people. If the city could write the rules, the people in the rural part of the country would get screwed, and that's even if the people in the city were well meaning.

A couple of example - guns, mechanics. In a city, if there's a car issue, it's beneficial to have a mechanic nearby that you can get to with a quick tow. But in a sparse area, the nearest mechanic might be quite far away. Out there, I'd prefer the ability to fix my car myself. This will impact how I feel about car manufacturers making it harder and harder for individuals to work on things because they don't have access to the electronic control units that control everything. People in the city might never really grasp how detrimental that is and so wouldn't fight for it. Guns of course are obvious, a guy carrying a rifle in the sticks probably has a lot more valid uses for the rifle than a guy downtown. Making it harder for the guy in the sticks just because the guy in the city is worried about criminals doesn't strike me as fair.

I'm not particularly concerned about the "tyranny of the majority", I'm more focused on the very real differences in how people live and how difficult it is for any one of us to really understand the long terms lifestyle needs of those other people.

Of course people live differently. Of course there is a contrast between rural and urban. As you point out, this is why big cities usually lean democrat, because as more people are rubbing elbows, there is a call for more regulation and protections.

However, this does nothing to shed light on what the true intentions of the founding fathers may have been, which is the same as it is for everybody else, self preservation. More than a few of our founding fathers specifically stated the need for a government that would protect propertied individuals such as themselves from the general working class. They full well knew they were the "minority".

Second, as you correctly stated, yes it would suck to have city dwellers making all the decisions for rural folk, but the electoral college does nothing to fix that. Instead, it ensures that a minority will always retain control over the majority. The pendulum has simply swung in the opposite direction. In our example, you have 500,000 people in Wyoming deciding what's best for the 50 million people in CA, so to speak.

I really think the country should be split in two. As you stated, city and rural are two completely different ways of living and wanting to be governed. The real problem is that most all those red states would collapse without the evil commie bastard blue states supporting them. This entire notion of running a government like a business, as many who were optimistic of Trump were hopeful in 2016, is totally bunk. Not all things of social value are profitable and the only reason this sorry excuse for a special interest group called the Republican party even exists in this day and age is because it is constantly tempered by the left. Mind you, I am specifically talking about Republican politicians. I will absolutely agree that theoretically diversity is important, and there are some basic Conservative tenets that are important. However, that is not what the Republican political party cares about, and it is reflected in their actual politics.

Blue states would be just fine, and probably better off. Red states would be the anglo equivalent of North Korea. As far as I'm concerned, red states should be thankful that the big city blue states even allow them to have a say in how the country is ran, as I cannot think of a singular Republican policy, program, or idea in the last 50 years that has been anything but a sugar coated giveaway to a very small interest group. I am sick and tired of reading just about every other dumbass in the Warroom bitching and moaning about CA and NY, or "the left" and how evil it is. Republican rule, when stripped of it's liberal constraints, looks like a completely backwards reactionary shitfest, so if that is how all these dorks want to live, so be it. It's not like if they were to segregate, the rest of us would miss out on any great contributions or anything.

Yeah, but Biden is running against Trump, if you didn't notice.

When you have two poor candidates one of them has to win. That doesn't mean the winner was a great candidate. This election is largely a referendum on Trump.

I live in a strongly Democratic area and no one here is particularly excited about Biden. Not like they were for Obama.

When you have two poor candidates one of them has to win. That doesn't mean the winner was a great candidate. This election is largely a referendum on Trump.

I live in a strongly Democratic area and no one here is particularly excited about Biden. Not like they were for Obama.
Obama was a pretty unique candidate for a number of reasons. A candidate doesn't have to be exciting to be a good leader. It's not WrestleMania.

In our example, you have 500,000 people in Wyoming deciding what's best for the 50 million people in CA, so to speak.
Do you really though?

Wyoming has 3 electoral votes
California has 55
New York has 29
Washington has 12
Oregon has 7

I just grabbed 4 states that basically have little to no chance of flipping red. Dems have won each of those states I am pretty sure every presidential election going back to probably the late 80s?

With just four states, the Democratic nominee has 103 of the necessary 270 to win. In 4 states you already have half the votes you need to win.

If you really wanted to make the electoral college feel closer to a popular vote? Give out the electoral votes for each state in proportion instead of winner take all.

It's ironic how those on the right support the EC because they don't want to see a "small handful of states" given the power to determine presidential elections.

While the EC is allowing JUST that - a small handful of states (sometimes literally just 2 or 3) to determine presidential elections.

The reality is that for these scoundrels it only depends on which few states are doing the determining.
I still contend make the EC divying up be via proportion instead of winner take all. If you look at percentage of people able to vote that don't I do wonder how many don't vote because they lean right in a state like CA, NY, or WA and feel their vote doesn't matter (or lean left in a state like WY, UT, or OK that is very red).

If you cut the electoral college up proportionally it gets CLOSER to being able to match the popular vote while still and might encourage others that are cynical about the whole system willing to vote.

I don't want a handful of big cities deciding what's best for the entire country.
How is that any different than a bunch of small areas in the sticks deciding what's best for the country? Right now the Republican majority Senate represents 15 million fewer people than the Democratic minority. I don't know what the solution is but the way it is now isn't right.

Obama was a pretty unique candidate for a number of reasons. A candidate doesn't have to be exciting to be a good leader. It's not WrestleMania.

As I already pointed out, over half the country believes Biden is mentally unfit to be president. That's not a good look, no matter how you spin it. He's the less worse choice, in comparison to a terrible president. He's not a good candidate on his own.

How is that any different than a bunch of small areas in the sticks deciding what's best for the country? Right now the Republican majority Senate represents 15 million fewer people than the Democratic minority. I don't know what the solution is but the way it is now isn't right.
I think regional representation is correct. California and Nee York know nothing about the needs of Louisiana.

Do you not know the Senate exists because places like Rhode Island didn't want to get trampled by more populated areas like NY, Mass, and Virginia when the Constitution became a thing?

As I already pointed out, over half the country believes Biden is mentally unfit to be president. That's not a good look, no matter how you spin it. He's the less worse choice, in comparison to a terrible president. He's not a good candidate on his own.
Biden wasn't my first choice either.

But when it comes down to picking between a "Person woman man camera TV" candidate who mocks disabled reporters and whose entire administration is a roaring dumpster fire, versus a decent person, I'll choose the latter every single time.

Do you really though?

Wyoming has 3 electoral votes
California has 55
New York has 29
Washington has 12
Oregon has 7

I just grabbed 4 states that basically have little to no chance of flipping red. Dems have won each of those states I am pretty sure every presidential election going back to probably the late 80s?

With just four states, the Democratic nominee has 103 of the necessary 270 to win. In 4 states you already have half the votes you need to win.

If you really wanted to make the electoral college feel closer to a popular vote? Give out the electoral votes for each state in proportion instead of winner take all.

103 is not half of 270. Its 38% that is a HUGE difference, especially when it comes to states and the numbers we are dealing with

103 is not half of 270. Its 38% that is a HUGE difference, especially when it comes to states and the numbers we are dealing with
My point more was with just 4 states you are near half of what you need. I typed that up while chowing down on my lunch at work give me a break.

If you want to compare that to states that always almost carry a Republican vote like Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and like Arkansas the Republicans are likely well behind the four that Dems almost always carry.

Last edited:
theres nothing sneaky about the electoral college lol

if you take the 5m+ more votes the democrat candidate will get in NY or CA for example, theirs your difference in the popular vote. 1 state. trump won the vote in like 30 something states. hillary had like 2-3 more in the end because in CA she had like 7-8 mill and trump had 3-4 mill.

not hard to understand

Biden wasn't my first choice either.

But when it comes down to picking between a "Person woman man camera TV" candidate who mocks disabled reporters and whose entire administration is a roaring dumpster fire, versus a decent person, I'll choose the latter every single time.

I've said repeatedly I'm not comparing him to Trump. It's beating a dead horse at this point.

If you ranked the Democratic nominees from 2000 to now, where would you put Biden? He'd be dead last on my list.

I've said repeatedly I'm not comparing him to Trump. It's beating a dead horse at this point.

If you ranked the Democratic nominees from 2000 to now, where would you put Biden? He'd be dead last on my list.
Did you forget about that colossal piece of shit John Edwards?

He was never the Democratic nominee for president. Also we didn't know he was a piece of shit at the time.
And I derped again and missed the "nominee" part.

Goddamnit can my work week end?

My point more was with just 4 states you are near half of what you need. I typed that up while chowing down on my lunch at work give me a break.

If you want to compare that to states that always almost carry a Republican vote like Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and like Arkansas the Republicans are likely well behind the four that Dems almost always carry.

yes I will agree there. They can afford to focus on fewer states, 38% is far from 50% BUT, it is still sizable %.

yes I will agree there. They can afford to focus on fewer states, 38% is far from 50% BUT, it is still sizable %.
The Dems get almost without fighting for it around 80 votes between CA and NY. Meanwhile... Republicans would have to carry the entire midwest to even get near that and they traditionally lose Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan who all have sizable populations and Texas is getting more purple from CA transplants.

Scrap the electoral college and go back to colonial times? It's funny that nobody minds the electoral college when democrats get elected.

I don't thing any democrat has ever won an electoral college victory without winning the popular vote. When the system looks like it's representing the people they forget it's broken and move on with their lives.

I think it's worth getting rid of not becaue of who wins or who doesn't, but because candidates only end up havnig to appeal to voters from like 10 swing states, and the 40 states that can make up their mind get nothing in the deal.

Back