Republicans blatantly attempting (and succeeding) to erase the black vote in Georgia

In all of Georgia? Pretty sure they can find a few dollars.

Just not allocating the money is no different.

In my community, we've had a few elections were all of the normal polling stations are closed, and the only polling station is located at the county seat.

I've had to drive 30 miles round trip just to cast a ballot. It wasn't the end of the world.

The behavior being mentioned in this thread might be unfortunate, but it's not unheard of.

Another thing to consider is that folks have to volunteer to work in these polling stations . . . what happens when all of the old folks are no longer able to do so?

What then millennials? What then? :p

Like ten paragraphs down

Malone has claimed that he chose which polls to close by gauging their compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act. Rather than target certain communities, he merely advised election boards to shutter polling places that are not ADA compliant. Notably, many of these locations are government buildings that should already comply with ADA regulations. (Several polling places selected for closure in Randolph County, for instance, are fire stations.) But rather than direct counties to fix whatever ADA problems they might have, Malone simply suggested these locations be scrapped.

Black people cant drive according to the article. They don’t know how
My voting station is ten minutes from my house without traffic according to Waze, goddamn racists

Last edited:
it's not just Georgia the Republicans have been using voter ID to disenfranchise Democratic leaning voter populations all across the country.

I don't understand how voter ID has become a political issue.

All voter ID does is ensure integrity in our elections.

Are those rural whites in red districts and are they being targeted by Republicans for mass poll closures for pretextual reasons?

Oh, and be sure to detail the historical suppression of the white vote in those districts. I might learn something tonight.

As I said in another post in this thread, in my own Hometown, we've had polling stations closed for certain elections, and everyone had to go to the county seat to vote. It wasn't a big deal.

This also wasn't some tiny special election, this was during a Governor's election.

I wonder how far some of these people had to travel to a polling place to begin with? Of course the article doesn't provide that information.

These threads would go a lot smoother if the people who deny the effects of voter suppression policies them could realize that the point isn't to outright prevent every left-leaning voter from participating, but to discourage just enough to win a close election. The policies are disguised to look innocuous and reasonable to people who would otherwise be insulated from the effects in order to prevent public backlash. A few percent of voters deciding to stay home instead of driving the extra 15 miles and stand in a very long line is enough to win in many disputed areas.

Here's a great question: Absentee ballots are much easier method to commit fraud with and much more difficult to detect than in person voting; why do Republicans focus so much on ID laws instead of improving the integrity of the absentee ballot process?

I'd travel more than 30 miles round trip to vote if I weren't smart enough to employ the absentee ballot. Sounds more like its the loser vote being suppressed.

I wonder how far some of these people had to travel to a polling place to begin with? Of course the article doesn't provide that information.

https://www.acluga.org/sites/defaul...e-randolph-polling-place-closures-8-14-18.pdf

As you are aware, Randolph County is in the Black Belt and is predominantly AfricanAmerican. According to the latest Census figures, its proportion of African Americans is over 61.4%, which is twice the proportion of African Americans in the entire state (32.2%). See Exhibit B. Making it harder for Randolph County voters to cast a ballot means making it disproportionately harder for African Americans in the State of Georgia to cast a ballot in this November’s elections. Indeed, the eliminated polling place with the highest registered voter population, Cuthbert Middle School, serves a 96.7% Black population (330 registered voters out of 341 registered voters assigned to the polling place).

Furthermore, your elimination of polling places surrounding Cuthbert and Shellman will completely prevent rural voters without transportation from voting in-person on Election Day. There is about a 10-mile distance from each of the eliminated polling places to one of the two polling places that would remain. See Exhibit A. For a voter with a car, that adds about 10 to 20 minutes of driving to reach the new polling place; for a voter without a car, that is a 3.5 hour walk. And there is no public transportation from these outlying areas into Cuthbert and Shellman.

These transportation burdens will also fall disproportionately on African Americans. Randolph County, which is disproportionately African-American, has over three times as many people without vehicles as compared to the state of Georgia—22.3% of Randolph County households lack vehicles, as compared to 6.9% of all Georgia households. See Exhibit C; see also (racially disparate vehicle ownership statistics nationwide). The poverty rate of Randolph County is also nearly twice that of the state (30.5% compared to 16.0%), and its median income is 40% lower than the rest of the state ($30,358 compared to $51,037). See Exhibit B

On Thursday evening, the election board of Randolph County, Georgia, met to discuss a startling proposal to eliminate three-fourths of the county’s polling places months before the November election. A rural, impoverished, and predominantly black county, Randolph has just nine polling locations, all of which were open during the May primaries and July runoffs. The election board may soon shut down seven of them, including one in a precinct where about 97 percent of voters are black. Its plan would compel residents, many of whom have no car or access to public transit, to travel as much as 30 miles round trip to reach the nearest polling place.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...ds-on-erasing-the-black-vote-its-working.html

Republicans are so shameless. How is this not illegal???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randolph_County,_Georgia

Total population - 7,719

African American 59.47% White 38.94%

2016 Presidential election

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election_in_Georgia,_2016

Trump 43.87% Hillary 55.16%

LOL. Nice job, Slate....

An accurately written history of this period will note that Republicans effectively launched a coup against our system of government.
This arrogance and hyperbole is what will ensure another Trump victory.

When you think you’re losing because your opponent is satan and you’re just an awesome and innocent victim of them, you will never win.

This arrogance and hyperbole is what will ensure another Trump victory.

When you think you’re losing because your opponent is satan and you’re just an awesome and innocent victim of them, you will never win.

I thought it was the sjws that would ensure a Trump vicotory. Or Muslims.

How many voters were those stations seeing?
A couple of them were really low, like low double digits but plenty of them were busy. Either way it was enough for them to stay open through a primary and a primary runoff.

'Too low of turnout' would have been an alright argument for that couple of stations. Hard to defend then suddenly pretending it is about ADA regs when they've known they were out of compliance for years and did nothing.

On Thursday evening, the election board of Randolph County, Georgia, met to discuss a startling proposal to eliminate three-fourths of the county’s polling places months before the November election. A rural, impoverished, and predominantly black county, Randolph has just nine polling locations, all of which were open during the May primaries and July runoffs. The election board may soon shut down seven of them, including one in a precinct where about 97 percent of voters are black. Its plan would compel residents, many of whom have no car or access to public transit, to travel as much as 30 miles round trip to reach the nearest polling place.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...ds-on-erasing-the-black-vote-its-working.html

Republicans are so shameless. How is this not illegal???
Randolph County has 7,193 people. They voted 43% Trump to 55% for Clinton in 2016. If it's such a Democratic stronghold, why aren't the Democrats in control of the election board?

Back