Crime Reporting now. Coast Guardsman charged with planning mass terror attack

Not sure what you mean, are you saying they go after white terrorists unfairly when compared to Muslim ones?

I'm saying that the trend for the last 15 years or so is to seek or artificially create some statistical parity between demographics of criminals/suspects. There are many forces driving that push, but the upshot is that a "White Right-Wing Terrorist" is the biggest fish in the pond. Recall the government's treatment of those people involved in the Bundy Ranch standoff (one of whom was killed during an arrest, even though it was later determined that a crime was not committed). Compare that to the relatively lackluster zeal with which it investigates people like Sirraj Wahhaj, who actively works to subvert local law enforcement in favor of Sharia law, and who intel sources agree helped facilitate the first WTC bombings. Consider the amount of thwarted terrorist attacks in the last month alone. Why do we hear so much about that MAGA Bomber guy?

I would rather if law enforcement (and journalists) approached suspects in a neutral, even-handed manner. Unfortunately, they do not. That's why I'm going to wait until more facts come out before I condemn the guy mentioned in the OP.

So you do work for the FBI? As a lawyer?

Keep trying to change the convo. You have no insight into all of the active cases the FBI is running around the country. You don't.

I demur to that question. Why would I need to have access to all of the FBI's active cases to comment on this established phenomenon? By that standard, no one can comment on any matters involving federal law enforcement—not even you.

Well your point here does not stand as there is evidence here. Your point is a strawman and dishonest.

Now we can argue over WHAT threshold of evidence the law should act upon. But there is evidence here of this guy being a nutter, weaponed up and with a plan to do harm. He has named specific people as targets and was seeking their location and addresses.

I'll wait until more actual evidence comes out, thanks.

Now why would he want to target Journalists....

Came for nautical puns, was not disappointed

This seems to have been quite a stern threat

I demur to that question. Why would I need to have access to all of the FBI's active cases to comment on this established phenomenon?

What established phenomenon? You haven't established anything, but you have made big assumptions about who the FBI is and isn't surveilling.

By that standard, no one can comment on any matters involving federal law enforcement—not even you.

Except I'm not the one making the claim that they aren't watching some group of ambiguous people. That would require knowing what active surveillance operations they're running.

And moreso, how do we know that the post 9/11 infrastructure to root out 'plots against the US' is not catching stuff like this too just as a matter of course (key word searches, etc) and therefore what is to be done when such a kook is caught up?

He seems to be suggesting they do follow up on and just ignore it?

I'm sure they do catch a lot of bad guys preemptively. Before calling in the SWAT team and making 'em do the perp walk, I'd like to see, at minimum, actions that would traditionally constitute an attempt (i.e., a "substantial step" toward carrying out the plan). In this case, that means I need to see more concrete evidence of the plan itself.

Looking at the court document he was arrested for importing a firearm from another state and having it delivered to him without going through a FFL-holding dealer. They also got him for simple possession of a controlled opioid. Basically they monitored his electronic activities and got him on super small time stuff. They're asking for detainment until trial because of being a supposed terrorist, that's not part of the charges at trial.

They aren't arresting him for thoughtcrimes, so we have that.

1ucbmz.jpg

Damn his last name was one letter off from fox news carrying the story

Because he's obviously an unstable lunatic based on the information released.Not some religiously motivated terrorist* who is sane and malicious.

*originally wrote lunatic by mistake
An argument of mental issues can be made for both cases but it's more a matter of why some people are attracted to extremism and others aren't. It could be related to mental health, or simply frustration, bitterness, lack of morals... whatever it is, it's a trait that only certain people have. Some even go from a radicalism to another, they can jump from a religious cult to a radical veganism and so forth. Some people are simply like that.

It's very difficult to determine why but imo it's fairly easy to determine that a radical is a radical. There's no difference. And when it comes to extremism in politics and religion the other side is almost always dehumanized. Islamism dehumanizes "infidels", communism dehumanizes the bourgeoisie and so on. If you really believe they are below you, that they are an nuisance, evil or a threat nothing stops you. You lose that fucking filter called empathy. And the ugliness of humans is that once we lose empathy we are capable of heinous acts. And that's why there's no difference between Brevik, this guy and ISIS. They are terrorists that see the other side as pests. They are equally despicable and vile.

I'm happy this mother fucker didn't hurt anyone. Congrats to everyone involved in stopping this guy! Fucking heroes imo.

I'm saying that the trend for the last 15 years or so is to seek or artificially create some statistical parity between demographics of criminals/suspects. There are many forces driving that push, but the upshot is that a "White Right-Wing Terrorist" is the biggest fish in the pond. Recall the government's treatment of those people involved in the Bundy Ranch standoff (one of whom was killed during an arrest, even though it was later determined that a crime was not committed). Compare that to the relatively lackluster zeal with which it investigates people like Sirraj Wahhaj, who actively works to subvert local law enforcement in favor of Sharia law, and who intel sources agree helped facilitate the first WTC bombings. Consider the amount of thwarted terrorist attacks in the last month alone. Why do we hear so much about that MAGA Bomber guy?

I would rather if law enforcement (and journalists) approached suspects in a neutral, even-handed manner. Unfortunately, they do not. That's why I'm going to wait until more facts come out before I condemn the guy mentioned in the OP.

Nobody was killed during the Bundy Ranch standoff, which was only escalated by all the lunatics that showed up to support them. The man that was killed was in the standoff in Oregon where Bundy and his crew of morons decided to take over a federal building and declare the refuge it was on, their own. He was also killed after running a police roadblock while reaching into his pocket for a pistol.

They were acquitted on the conspiracy charges because the prosecution somehow fucked up an open and shut case.

I have a sense for how local offices prioritize certain investigations. One Timothy McVeigh is worth 3 Muhammad Attas, or 10 Lee Boyd Malvos, in the eyes of the leadership. Why? Because of the message it sends. It's the same reason why we still hear about Dylan Roof, even though the statistics warrant focusing anti-hate crime efforts elsewhere.
I haven't heard about Dylan Roof in years, no one brings that up anymore.
And McVeigh killed alot more people than Lee Boyd Malvo did, and really it was John Allen Muhammad that was running that Sniper Operation.

And when the sniper killings were happening, it was all over the news. "He wants to be called God", "This man is sophisticated"
As soon as the media found out he was Black all that shit went away as if they couldn't believe they were duped by a black man the entire time and how they were giving him this God-like aura

Now why would he want to target Journalists....

He said he wanted to kill everyone on the planet and talked about acquiring the spanish flu. Did you just somehow delete that fact from your brain?

If someone knows of a specific plan, that changes everything. In the Vegas shooter's case, it was very difficult to preempt because he went to great lengths to conceal his plan. By contrast, this guy sounds like he's just venting on the internet. I'd need to see more evidence that he had a specific plan.

So you would rather show complete apathy until actual lives are lost instead of preventing it from happening in the first place. Gotcha.

The police had enough reasons to take his threat seriously. Making a move on him was the right thing to do.

What established phenomenon? You haven't established anything, but you have made big assumptions about who the FBI is and isn't surveilling.

The established phenomenon is selective enforcement of laws in order to vindicate social justice interests. It's something that has been happening for a while. There are studies that establish this, and some departments/agencies have even embraced this goal explicitly. You can also extrapolate it by analyzing data from the DOJ's websites, or by reading annual "threat assessments" closely. As always, you can observe this phenomenon in public life.

Except I'm not the one making the claim that they aren't watching some group of ambiguous people. That would require knowing what active surveillance operations they're running.

I didn't make the claim that they aren't watching certain groups of people. The claim was that they police certain groups less aggressively.

The established phenomenon is selective enforcement of laws in order to vindicate social justice interests. It's something that has been happening for a while. There are studies that establish this, and some departments/agencies have even embraced this goal explicitly. You can also extrapolate it by analyzing data from the DOJ's websites, or by reading annual "threat assessments" closely. As always, you can observe this phenomenon in public life.

I didn't make the claim that they aren't watching certain groups of people. The claim was that they police certain groups less aggressively.

giphy.gif

So you would rather show complete apathy until actual lives are lost instead of preventing it from happening in the first place. Gotcha.

The police had enough reasons to take his threat seriously. Making a move on him was the right thing to do.

My preferred method of preventing crime involves building a better, more cohesive society. It doesn't involve expanding the powers of the government to target its preferred bogeymen. Like I said before, I'll wait and see what they have on this guy first, mindful that certain interest groups want to use this guys as "The Real Face of Terrorism."

Well that’s what you call a terrorist . He wanted to kill everyone.

Glad they caught him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Judoka_Noob
Back