Reporter who profiles Jon Jones talks about the eyepokes

Refs are there to enforce the rules. As McCarthy said, what Jones does (outstretching his fingers) isn't against the rules. So it's on either the athletic commissions to add a rule, or on the UFC to find new gloves.

But I wish the refs would give a warning on the 1st eye poke, and a point deducted for each one after that, but that ain't gonna happen.

That's not all he does though. He paws at his opponents with an open hand and outstretched fingers, basically raking their eyes with his fingers. That's definitely against the rules.

That's not all he does though. He paws at his opponents with an open hand and outstretched fingers, basically raking their eyes with his fingers. That's definitely against the rules.

True, but refs still aren't going to call him on it and deduct points. He's done it across half a dozen fights now, and not a single point has been taken.

With all the pauses in the fight due to eye pokes, the injuries, pernament damage, and undebated unsportmanlike conduct, why there hasn't been as much attention to eye pokes as there has been to Palhares's holding onto submissions for a second too long.... well, actually nevermind... I know the exact reason.

True, but refs still aren't going to call him on it and deduct points. He's done it across half a dozen fights now, and not a single point has been taken.

With all the pauses in the fight due to eye pokes, the injuries, pernament damage, and undebated unsportmanlike conduct, why there hasn't been as much attention to eye pokes as there has been to Palhares's holding onto submissions for a second too long.... well, actually nevermind... I know the exact reason.

BJM has talked about it in interviews and said it's a problem that needs to be addressed. Meanwhile he has ref'd 3 of Jones' most recent fights and did not deduct any points for eye pokes. Either the refs are incompetent or their bosses at the ACs tell them not to deduct points for that infraction.

I don't blame him for taking any advantage he can get and winning at any cost.

But it's also shitty sportsmanship and I can't cheer for a guy like that. So all respect to one of the best p4p fighters in MMA, but fuck Jones.

too bad herb dean doesn't really take points away

BJM has talked about it in interviews and said it's a problem that needs to be addressed. Meanwhile he has ref'd 3 of Jones' most recent fights and did not deduct any points for eye pokes. Either the refs are incompetent or their bosses at the ACs tell them not to deduct points for that infraction.

Exactly, and Jones has no motivation in changing his dirty tactics. In fact, it incourages it.

And Uriah Faber's last fight result still hasn't been reviewed, or changed to a NC.

(I'm not blasting Faber, I'm a big fan, but eyepokes (intentional or accidental) shouldn't be tollerated, or rewarded.)

Back