Reporter who profiles Jon Jones talks about the eyepokes

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by krolik1157, Dec 31, 2014.

1. krolik1157

krolik1157 Orange Belt

I'm sure it's been posted, but Deadspin's Greg Howard just put up a great (and long) profile on Jon Jones and the upcoming Cormier fight.

In the comments, someone asked the reporter about the eye pokes, and here was his reply:
    So there it is from the horse's mouth -- I interpret it as him saying he likes using that extended hand to get the full advantage possible out of his reach, and he doesn't feel bad if that leads to his fingers ending up in an eye.

Personally, I'd like to see him make the effort to make his hand flat, if only because I'm really, really sick of every discussion involving the best pound-for-pound fighter on the planet devolving into EYEPOKE EYEPOKE EYEPOKE, but I'm not the guy in the cage. I'll also say that Chael Sonnen saying what you're doing is ethical is maybe not the best endorsement.

2. IrishFighterLA

IrishFighterLA Orange Belt

Some fighters have more pride in their sportsmanship. Use your warning lol, so take the guys out first ... jk

3. INoHespectChael

INoHespectChael Black Belt

DC should bite his ear off.

4. Peteyandjia

Peteyandjia Saku Spring Staff Member Forum Administrator

It's on the refs to fix this. Obviously Jones doesn't give a fuck. If they don't start taking points on the first offense with Jones, nothing will change.

5. Hans Gercmiov

Hans Gercmiov Steel Belt

Has Jones ever been poked in the eye? Can't recall it.

6. CombatCyborg

CombatCyborg Black Belt

I've known this for a while now. Jones will do whatever it takes to win. He has no qualms using techniques that fall in a grey area of the rules or that fans might think are unsportsmanlike. That attitude is also what makes him so good.

7. ilfirin

ilfirin Silver Belt

This. Points need to be deducted, as simple as that. Start deducting points and I promise you it'll disappear pretty quickly.

8. Miiiiiiighty

Miiiiiiighty Silver Belt

Lol @ not trying to eyepoke..

This is a very dirty tactics and I hope he sometimes gets punished for it..
    It's not like someone of his talent needs it in the first place too..

9. Kelman

Kelman Banned Banned

Even if you take a point, a poked eye could still already have a massive bearing on how the fight plays out. A fighter with impaired vision, in pain, and worried he's going to end up like Darron Cruickshank is obviously not going to be fighting to his capability.

10. MajJamil

MajJamil Purple Belt

I think Gus poked him in the eye

11. SanShou

SanShou CTEGod Bless you on the way to CTECity

If that is the mentality, Cormier needs to kick him in the junk as hard as he can after he gets eye poked. Use his one warning and all that.

12. Gluhov

Gluhov Black Belt

cormier should knee him in the nuts. minakov admitted to kneeing kongo in the nuts on purpose because kongo kept pulling on his trunks

13. RafailNadull

RafailNadull Brown Belt

You still don't comprehend why Jones eye pokes, do you. It's not some unfortunate habit he wish he could change. He deliberately paws with open hands because it will lead to eye pokes (the individual eye poke, however, may well be unintentional, just a byproduct of the pawing) which confer him a huge advantage and make the enemy be reluctant.

Since you still don't get it, perhaps this analogy will help: Suppose I'm deliberately shooting a rifle 5 inches from where your head is. Many times. I absolutely do NOT plan to hit you but I know if I'm doing it enough times, I'll blow your head off. So I keep shooting and blow your head off after a while and thus win the fight. Oh, but it was so unintentional, trust me, I was really aiming 5 inches from your head!

Jones won't change a thing until the ref punishes him like he should.

14. DizzyYeahYeah

DizzyYeahYeah Red Belt

As far as eye pokes go, KJ Noons and Uriah Faber are worse than Jones and so is everybody else that has poked a fighter in the eye which resulted in fucking up the fight.

15. Pitier of Fools

Pitier of Fools Brown Belt

Isn't profiling racist?

16. Rebel_LioN

Rebel_LioN Red Belt

Does Jones have such a huge bearing on your life that you'd go as far as making an analogy about blowing another poster's head off? Shit ain't that serious bruh

17. adjoub

adjoub Orange Belt

Refs cant change the rulesbut maybe one warning thn tart taking points instead of warning and then ignoring the eyepokes for fear of fucking up the fight.

18. UJustGotChaeld

UJustGotChaeld Steel Belt

It's what I have been saying. He is not trying to poke their eyes, but he is doing something he knows WILL poke their eyes, and he does that intentionally, so in the end, the eyepokes are actually intentional. Part of it is the ref's fault. They should warn for the fingers being extended, take a point for the poke.

19. UJustGotChaeld

UJustGotChaeld Steel Belt

Refs can and do warn for extending the fingers at the face. That should be the warning. If Jones doesn't listen he can lose points. It's habitual with him. It's actually a move he uses offensively and defensively that is illegal, but he tries to loophole it into being legal.

20. 8KresniK8

8KresniK8 Black Belt

Just start taking points after the first one. Not this bullshit where you get like seven warnings per round before one point is taken.