Report from Assyrian News site of Islamists destroying 3000 year old statues

Heaven.

They believe that their god has commanded that they conquer and destroy all other belief systems. All images, sounds, and people that contradict their beliefs must also be destroyed.

They believe that, if they obey, that they will live forever in a teenage boys fantasy of what heaven must be like. A lush garden with cool, clean streams, wearing the finest clothes and jewels, being served sexually and in other ways by 72 gorgeous virgin girls who become revirginized every day, and many beautiful young serving boys (yes really).

It's the ultimate hedonistic fantasy and is the complete opposite of the shitty and deprived existence that they live now.

They have plenty of motivation to commit the most horrible acts against their fellow humans and to destroy all signs of human history, philosophy, religion, and art that don't support their religious narrative.

Nah man, that's just right wing conservative propoganda. It's really just a misunderstood religion that is really about peace, and these people are just practicing some fundamentalist "extremist" view of Islam. Just ask any liberal college proffessor....

Is it only stupid because it wrecks your post, or because you don't get it?
It's stupid because lives =/= art. And if you really wanted to get into it, yes they have the right to respond to US aggression. 9/11 was cheap, because it was a civilian site.

Haha.. no no, THIS is stupid: "they have every right to destroy it, if they feel it represents something evil and obsolete."

Please don't just blast right over this ^^^^ gem which you provided us with, sir.

It's still right. Those statues represent something blasphemous to their religion. Who cares why? If they didnt destroy it, none of you would have cared it existed in the first place.

Not sure if you've noticed but we with adequately functioning brains, in the 21st century tend to preserve, because we're not brain dead, Saudi savages. British museum is a great place to start to see said preservation.
The idolization of art is disgusting. If the British Museum washed away, it wouldn't change a thing about the history, or achievements that are in it.

Just terrible. Destroying history through the prism of a very narrow an uneducated lens.

I remember a story about artwork smuggled from Afghanistan being sold on the black market. There are times that doesn't bother me at all, except for the fact that the revenues are going to terrorist groups. At least the artwork is safe.

Just terrible. Destroying history through the prism of a very narrow an uneducated lens.

I remember a story about artwork smuggled from Afghanistan being sold on the black market. There are times that doesn't bother me at all, except for the fact that the revenues are going to terrorist groups. At least the artwork is safe.

The biggest damage , that can't be stressed enough, for all humanity is destruction of archaeological sites and artificats that have not been properly documented/studied. We are talking about people's history,identity and roots here. Destruction of history is cultural genocide. Colonizing and invading armies have from time immemorial tried to eraze the identity of the people they conquered.

Salafists truly are 21century barbarians in the mold of bronze age barbarians. You can't reason with such people, it is either submit to their ideology or get killed.

Stupid comparison

When a culture conquers another, they destroy the idols of the previous one. To them, it symbolizes something negative. There's a reason we destroyed Saddam's statue. Whether it's oppression, blasphemy, racism, or simply replacing it with a new culture - the why is irrelevant. It's about perspective.

If someone destroyed the Mona Lisa tomorrow, it wouldn't change a single thing.

When a barbarian, unenlightened culture conquers another... You don't see the English knocking over Stonehenge. You don't see the other 2999 years of culture destroying those statues. You see these current breed of religious zealots behaving in this manner. It's a problem with this particular culture.

did someone just compare the mona lisa to a Saddam statue? :icon_lol:

The biggest damage , that can't be stressed enough, for all humanity is destruction of archaeological sites and artificats that have not been properly documented/studied. We are talking about people's history,identity and roots here. Destruction of history is cultural genocide. Colonizing and invading armies have from time immemorial tried to eraze the identity of the people they conquered.

Salafists truly are 21century barbarians in the mold of bronze age barbarians. You can't reason with such people, it is either submit to their ideology or get killed.

What pisses me off is that this isn't just precious art, it's actual history. Could you imagine the outrage if these assholes burnt one of the oldest copies of the Torah, or the Bible Scrolls? Everything our ancestors did matters, not just because artwork is a direct study of cultures but due to the historical aspect itself. Projecting values of destruction on anything you disagree with is a very small minded position, and one that needs to be eradicated.

That being said, this is by no means even close to being all Muslims. I don't want to Muslim bash because I would venture to say the vast majority disagree with these extreme actions, but for those Muslims who do want to destroy art and history, fuck them.

That being said, this is by no means even close to being all Muslims. I don't want to Muslim bash because I would venture to say the vast majority disagree with these extreme actions, but for those Muslims who do want to destroy art and history, fuck them.

This is Wahabi/Taleban/Salafi/Takfiri Muslims . The root ideology originating from Saudi Arabia.

Just saw this on Reddit. Checked on google and couldn't find western MSM reporting, only MidEast regional news reporting it. Since it is a Shia shrine it is believable that Salafists would destroy it.

"Shiite shrine bombed by ISIL in Syria

The Taliban did the same in Afghanistan, the weirdos don't like any reminder that their sick cult is only 1300 years old and superior civilizations much older existed.

Wow^

Reduced to rubble.

Incoming comments about how they're just tearing down Saddam statues. (lol)

You should really think before posting asinine, nonsense which paints you daft.

I guess they had the right to fly planes into buildings too, killing thousands. I mean, they believed that their targets were evil. It is their right. Maybe it was their right to barbecue some reporters head as well, I mean he was evil too?

When you threw in the "obsolete" part it brought the lols. As though hitting a statue of a civilization which was far more advanced than theirs with a hammer while wearing sandals and dressed like savages really drives home your point of obsolescence.

Think my friend, think. Neurons are your friend.

This was the appropriate response.

While historical artifacts such as this do not have immediate utility to really spark outrage to people unfamiliar with its cultural background, they do hold significance, especially in remaining linked with and privy to our past.

It's stupid because lives =/= art. And if you really wanted to get into it, yes they have the right to respond to US aggression. 9/11 was cheap, because it was a civilian site.

It's still right. Those statues represent something blasphemous to their religion. Who cares why? If they didnt destroy it, none of you would have cared it existed in the first place.

The idolization of art is disgusting. If the British Museum washed away, it wouldn't change a thing about the history, or achievements that are in it.

What kind of babble is this?

The Assyrian International News Agency, based out of Chicago, is reporting that ISIL (Islamic State of Iraq and Levant) has destroyed ancient Assyrian statues and artificats dating back 3000 years.

ISIL was allied with Al Qaeda but lately a schism has developed between ISIL and AQ and AQ's official representate in Syria, the Al Nusra front.

http://www.aina.org/news/20140517025551.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assyrian_International_News_Agency

Note: I am unfaimiliar with AINA and MSM Western news agencies haven't started reporting this yet. I am posting this because it isn't surprising to hear about Salafists destroying ancient monuments. Taleban destroyed the Bamiyan Buddhas and the Saudis are destroying Muslim sites associated with those close to Muhammed.

assyrianstatuespic1_zps37bc9dde.jpg

20140517025056_zpsace02246.jpg

bolo-yeung-meme-generator-very-good-but-brick-not-hit-back-54fbd9.jpg

And this surprises who?

It is fairly known, and easily seen, how they couldn't care less about your culture, or civilizations other than their own. Oh well.

Back