Report: Bellator 120 PPV buys estimated at 65,000 for 'Rampage vs. King Mo'

I read that Tito's deal, gave him between $5-$7 per buy PPV bonus over 50k buys. That's a ton of money to pay.

7 x 65000 = $455,000 in PPV bonus. Not including his base pay.

I read that Tito's deal, gave him between $5-$7 per buy PPV bonus over 50k buys. That's a ton of money to pay.

7 x 65000 = $455,000 in PPV bonus. Not including his base pay.

have they revealed the base pay for the fighters for the event? or is that another thing they won't release?

I don't think they struck even. Having to pay the PPV provider, plus PPV points to certain guys, plus it being at a reduced price. Not a chance at 65k or whatever number it ends up they could strike even paying Mo, Rampage, Tito, and Chandler. Not to mention; Held, Ivanov, Volkov, Brooks, and what ended up being 14 fights total.

These numbers aren't official yet so we shall see, but there is no way they turned a profit with this event.

With Tito winning, Rampage/Mo Bjorn situation the press they got from it. Was the most talked about event in Bellator history. So money wise? What they lost they made up for in potential casuals potentially tuning in the future.

No matter how much you guys say it, it ain't fkn true. People watch Bellator, 800k a week. Those people only know ex-UFC fighters?? Yeah, they know they are kind of washed up. There has always been a market for decent non-UFC mma, the #'s have pretty much always proved it., Please stop pretending that Bellator fans ordered this because of UFC fighters only. I ordered it to see how Schlemenko would do, how Volkov v Ivanov would go (fishy Russian stuff possibly, imo) and how Brooks v Chandler would go, because I had Brooks doing pretty well style wise in that fight. I am Bellator/MMA fan. I buy good UFC ppvs every year, and I support non-UFC MMA because the sport is shrinking and at risk without it. The fighters also need another org or two.

Actually 667k fans on average watch every week unless they have a UFC name like Kongo or Rampage or a title fight.

Only 800k cards this season I believe were Rampage in the debut and Kongo's HW title fight.

But Da Bombers told me it was going to do 250k-300k?

Laugh.gif

Didnt he make a bet about that or something?

No matter how much you guys say it, it ain't fkn true. People watch Bellator, 800k a week. Those people only know ex-UFC fighters?? Yeah, they know they are kind of washed up. There has always been a market for decent non-UFC mma, the #'s have pretty much always proved it., Please stop pretending that Bellator fans ordered this because of UFC fighters only. I ordered it to see how Schlemenko would do, how Volkov v Ivanov would go (fishy Russian stuff possibly, imo) and how Brooks v Chandler would go, because I had Brooks doing pretty well style wise in that fight. I am Bellator/MMA fan. I buy good UFC ppvs every year, and I support non-UFC MMA because the sport is shrinking and at risk without it. The fighters also need another org or two.

The average viewer count for the Bellator shows on Friday indirectly contributed to my overly high estimate as well but clearly the UFC fans are more willing to pay than the Bellator fans. Likely because they never had to pay before. I touched on that in my article analyzing the buyrate earlier today.

How much do you think Eddie dropping out took away from the total? A lot of people said they weren't going to buy from that but I can't imagine it taking away more than 5-10K.

I don't think they struck even. Having to pay the PPV provider, plus PPV points to certain guys, plus it being at a reduced price. Not a chance at 65k or whatever number it ends up they could strike even paying Mo, Rampage, Tito, and Chandler. Not to mention; Held, Ivanov, Volkov, Brooks, and what ended up being 14 fights total.

These numbers aren't official yet so we shall see, but there is no way they turned a profit with this event.

With Tito winning, Rampage/Mo Bjorn situation the press they got from it. Was the most talked about event in Bellator history. So money wise? What they lost they made up for in potential casuals potentially tuning in the future.

They got PPV money...

In addition to:

-SpikeTV Money for prelims
-Money from TV deals in UK, Mexico, Brazil, etc etc.
-Prelim Internet Ads Money
-Sponsors
-Venue Site Fee
-Event Merchandise

They are clearly still anxious to run more PPVs in the future. Do people think they would really seek to lose money out of pride?

They without a doubt made money on this event, although I doubt it was something epic...

How much do you think Eddie dropping out took away from the total? A lot of people said they weren't going to buy from that but I can't imagine it taking away more than 5-10K.

I really think it gets close to 100K with the Alvarez-Chandler fight in there.

They got PPV money...

In addition to:

-SpikeTV Money for prelims
-Money from TV deals in UK, Mexico, Brazil, etc etc.
-Prelim Internet Ads Money
-Sponsors
-Venue Site Fee
-Event Merchandise

They are clearly still anxious to run more PPVs in the future. Do people think they would really seek to lose money out of pride?

They without a doubt made money on this event, although I doubt it was something epic...

I personally think on the 65k number they probably lost a small amount on the show, but with the increased web traffic (5-10 times normal) they will be happy with the increased brand awareness. The show was a success in many other reasons than financial and that is why Spike will be pleased.

Listing all the reasons they (in your opinion) made money, you never brought up the extras that would have cost them money.

- Extra advertising, their advertising costs for this event would have been massive.
- production costs on the pre fight TV specials...those things are not cheap
- Fighter Pay (Rampage,Tito)
- Flights,hotel,etc...normally a bellator card has a lot of local fighters that have no travel (them + corner) and hotel room costs....this event would have been much much more than a usual card.
- all the pre fight stuff that Bellator never does...media day,fighter workouts etc etc these things cost money.

So like i said, I think they lost a little of the event, But the extra brand awareness was probably worth it for future PPV cards.

Didn't someone swear up and down they had a full proof formula that would yield 253k buys for Bellator lol?

Didn't someone swear up and down they had a full proof formula that would yield 253k buys for Bellator lol?

Um, that was me but 1) I never said the formula was fool proof, only that it had been very accurate (and continues to be) in predicting TV numbers and UFC PPV numbers and 2) I very clearly stated that while the formula was predicting that number, I had about 0% confidence they'd hit it.

Now that I have a base with which to work with in terms of Bellator's ability to convert TV viewers into PPV buyers, it will help with future predictions.

UFC 173 prediction was/is 216-238K and if you think it's odd that my Bellator prediction was higher, I'd counter with the fact that Tito and Rampage are far bigger draws than anyone on that card. Problem is, UFC didn't promote that card.

43K? that is such a random number...

740k-ish people watching the prelims. Usually it's 10% that jump over to buy PPVs, but with the loss of Alvarez I figured it cut that total lower. Then it's not UFC so that cuts it more. So I figured around 60% of the 10%

740k-ish people watching the prelims. Usually it's 10% that jump over to buy PPVs, but with the loss of Alvarez I figured it cut that total lower. Then it's not UFC so that cuts it more. So I figured around 60% of the 10%

sorry, I maybe should have explained myself better. What i meant was 43K was random, in that most would have put 45K or 40K or 50K....round it up or down if you will.

Back