Report: Bellator 120 PPV buys estimated at 65,000 for 'Rampage vs. King Mo'

So it sold about 3 times as much as Bellator haters said it would sell. Not bad.

That's pretty decent considering they lost their main event. Slightly better then I predicted. Much higher than what the guys on Sherdog radio predicted

Not bad...a heavily promoted Tito vs Rampage with Alvarez vs Chandler 3 may do 100K

Respectable numbers. A decent foundation to build on.

If true, those are horrendous numbers.
Let's not forget Affliction did around 50-85,000 PPV buys according to Dave Meltzer and looked what happen to them.
This is the begging of the end for Bellator. No way in hell is Viacom going to continue to throw away millions of dollars away.

Let's not forget Affliction did around 50-85,000 PPV buys according to Dave Meltzer and looked what happen to them.
This is the begging of the end for Bellator. No way in hell is Viacom going to continue to throw away millions of dollars away.

Affliction paid a FK TON more for the fighters on their cards... a serious fk ton...

And Affliction also didn't have a bi-weekly TV program they were regularly making money on...

Apples and Oranges mate.

(btw, your 'throw away millions of dollars' is the most insane randomly plucked-from-the-air number I have ever read. Bellator likely made money on this event (although likely not a lot), and makes money 20+ weeks of the year with their regular programming... In no way are they losing anything close to millions of dollars.... lol @ general MMA fans and their perception. Dana's really got you sold on this whole 'losing money business' thing despite being worth '3.5 billion', that is impressive to fool so many people so much.)

Last edited:

The Affliction PPV cards were absolutely stacked. I was way more interested in the Affliction cards than the UFC cards at the time.

Obviously their model didn't work long term, but Bellator doesn't have anywhere near that kind of marquee talent or marquee talent expense.

Not sure if this was posted above, but anything over 50k Tito also gets a part of. So you've gotta factor that in if they pulled 65k.

I think if they made ANY money off of this (which is very unlikely), it wasn't much.

Not bad, and in-line with what most predicted.

And from what he's heard from Spike, Dave "Biceps" Meltzer is saying they are open to doing 1-2 a year when the feeling is in the air, so they must find the number acceptable.

Bellator is also in a better position than Affliction was, having absolutely nothing to do with the parasite that is M-1 Global. 65k is a respectable number.

That's about 2.6m in total PPV revenue (average $40 buy rate), an assumed 1.3m going to Bellator (likely higher as Viacom probably has good pull on PPV stuff)...

Why would Viacom have "good pull on PPV stuff?" Showtime is owned by Viacom and I remember an article where one of the Showtime execs saying they hate having to do Boxing PPVs as they don't make much money from them.

Why would Viacom have "good pull on PPV stuff?" Showtime is owned by Viacom and I remember an article where one of the Showtime execs saying they hate having to do Boxing PPVs as they don't make much money from them.

Must be why they went after Floyd and push their boxing fighters to PPVs quickly...

Must also be why executives familiar with the PPV market have been pushing Bellator towards PPV for some time, and want future PPVs...

Source?

But Da Bombers told me it was going to do 250k-300k?

Laugh.gif

But Da Bombers told me it was going to do 250k-300k?

Laugh.gif

LOL, I remember that shit. Hahaha.

65K is pretty respectable. So long as they broke even they'll keep trying.

================

On a separate note, not sure why some people insist on shitting on Pride, Strikeforce, Affliction, WEC, Bellator, etc. Even if you don't like the orgs, the fights themselves were legit. Watch for the fighters, not the orgs.

Most people who bought this card only knew the ex UFC fighters

No matter how much you guys say it, it ain't fkn true. People watch Bellator, 800k a week. Those people only know ex-UFC fighters?? Yeah, they know they are kind of washed up. There has always been a market for decent non-UFC mma, the #'s have pretty much always proved it., Please stop pretending that Bellator fans ordered this because of UFC fighters only. I ordered it to see how Schlemenko would do, how Volkov v Ivanov would go (fishy Russian stuff possibly, imo) and how Brooks v Chandler would go, because I had Brooks doing pretty well style wise in that fight. I am Bellator/MMA fan. I buy good UFC ppvs every year, and I support non-UFC MMA because the sport is shrinking and at risk without it. The fighters also need another org or two.

That's about 2.6m in total PPV revenue (average $40 buy rate), an assumed 1.3m going to Bellator (likely higher as Viacom probably has good pull on PPV stuff)...

I assume the Bellator Prelims are able to be covered by the show money Spike TV gives them...

Rampage is estimated to have earned 500k from various in the community, and I would have to assume Tito earned around the same... This is pure speculation though, as we don't know the PPV buy cut-off or anyting...

So generally speaking, Bellator likely had an additional $300k+ in PPV revenue, as well as the site fee and sponsorships, to pay out the remaining PPV fighters...

I have a feeling they didn't lose any money :p

Next PPV:
Rampage vs Newton
Alvarez vs Brooks
Dantas vs Warren
Minakov vs Volkov or Curran vs PitBull
Tito vs King Mo

^This would do more buys and have roughly the same payout. If Alvarez were also making $500k it would need ~20k more to pay for him being back on the card, which I think it could get, and I don't think Alvarez is making $500k anyways.

I don't even think 1.3 mil covers the salaries, especially with both Rampage and Tito on the card.

LOL, I remember that shit. Hahaha.

65K is pretty respectable. So long as they broke even they'll keep trying.

================

On a separate note, not sure why some people insist on shitting on Pride, Strikeforce, Affliction, WEC, Bellator, etc. Even if you don't like the orgs, the fights themselves were legit. Watch for the fighters, not the orgs.

Will never make sense to me, NFL fans don't sit and run to college football forums and comment "NFL IS BETTER COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYERS SUCK, THE BEST TEAM COULDN'T BEAT THE WORST TEAM! HAHAHA YOU MUST BE TROLLING IF YOu LIKE THIS" but with MMA you see it all the time.

A bit better than I expected. I enjoyed the PPV.

Back