replaying UFC 1 (dice game for early years of NHB)

It’s very clever and creative. Especially in the system of determining the outcome.

I was in the process of making a dice game for pro wrestling many years ago when I was in early high school. It was moving along pretty well, but to be honest, I had more fun creating the characters than making the actual game and eventually dropped that stuff by sophomore year. It’s not easy coming up with ways to make it interesting and creative for the player. Which leads me to the friendly nitpicking.

I only watched about 15 minutes of your video, but I think you need to add some sort of creative element to generate more interest for the person playing. For example, in my old game, I remember I had high risk moves that created more damage, but the risk of that move being reversed was also greater. Having choices for your players to be creative during combat makes the outcome more interesting. The way it is by itself, it seems the only thing player can do is tally up scores. Tallying up scores would work really well if you were creating an actual automated game, or if the game itself was a subplot for another game (let’s say a drinking game where the drinkers were handed a single fighter card and the loser has to drink a shot). You just need something to pull people in.

I do like how you formulated your actual system though. Very nice.

I think that I enjoy the process of creating the games myself, because like you said, I tend to have more fun with coming up with ideas and whatever than actually playing the game. I do and will play this one, but I came up with basketball and hockey dice games as I mentioned, and I have very little intent on really digging in an playing those a lot. A few times just for kicks, sure. But it's more like something I would have spent lots of time playing in middle and high school.

I tend to agree with your thoughts that for the game to be more fun, it needs more strategy, risks, etc. But I envision it more as a one player game...sure, it can be played two player, but I suspect more people will solo it than do 2 player. Choices are minimal and that's why. I view it as a game where you can run your MMA promotion quickly, setting up cards, running them, then matchmaking for the next card based on results of previous cards. For my own personal use I plan to re-sim the first 10-20 UFCs (and probably some early Prides as well) as close as possible to the real life matchups. But then I will probably start over and run an entirely different 'universe/circuit/promotion' whatever you want to call it, where ALL the fighters are in the same promotion, and I set up a number of cards per 'year' (probably 12, one a month sounds right.) Then I'd start in 93 and pool the UFC 1 fighters with the Pancrase fighters and toss in the other guys who fought in 93 but not for either of those two promotions (Taktarov, Nakai, Paulson, basically.) I'll run my dozen cards probably throwing in a few singles matches and a few tourneys...maybe I'll try to do something similar to what PFL does? Then I'd move on to 1994 and introduce the new fighters who debuted in MMA in 94, and drop off some of the guys from 93 who didn't continue fighting, the Teila Tuli's and Art Jimmersons of the world. Anyway, I can set up my own promotion and run the cards quickly, track fighter records, etc. That's the sort of thing that makes it 'fun' for me, as opposed to the strategy of trying to 'win' or play against an opponent. I do appreciate the feedback and ideas!

This is really cool. I think calling it a game is coloring people's expectations and perception, though. I would probably call it a simulator. I love things like this, where you take a concept and see how simple and abstract you can make it while still retaining the feel of the activity.

I just read the description but didn't watch the video.

IMO a 'D&D + MMA' fan could learn to love this game. But knowing fans in both, methinks that's a pretty small market :)

Have you considered starting with players with pre-defined starting values that advanced players could then change (e.g. role a 10-sided, 5 is neutral and if you roll a 1 Chuck Liddell was drunk last night and he starts with x -4, but if you roll a 9 Chuck is feeling especially good today and he starts x+3). Or, a less advanced version would be to just use default values (EDIT: Title of this thread is UFC 1 so obviously Chuck Liddell is n/a, but in the game rules he is mentioned - I mention this only to preempt sherdoggers who like nothing better than to nitpick others).

The actual game play looks pretty fun.

All in all, a cool hobby. Do you make (or want to make) games for a living?

none of us are nitpickers. Also, an "edit" goes in a different paragraph separated by white space
<Moves>

This is really cool. I think calling it a game is coloring people's expectations and perception, though. I would probably call it a simulator. I love things like this, where you take a concept and see how simple and abstract you can make it while still retaining the feel of the activity.

I do agree with you, simulator makes more sense than game. But if I call it a simulator, then people would ask "what the hell is a simulator?" And I'd say "basically, it's a game." haha. I figured I'd skip that step. But I do see your point. It's not a strategy game you play against an opponent, trying to win. It's more geared for solo play running your own MMA world

Is it like MMA Risk? Seems like a cool idea. And you're a gifted artist so I'm sure you will do it justice.

Got the jist of it. Too many numbers for it to be the next Monopoly. Speaking of which if you truly want to mimic an MMA dice game there needs to be a "Go to Jail" card.
collect $200 and your 15% Reebok coupon

giphy.gif

I don't know what that guy is doing on the wii, but I'm not looking to collect $200, or any money. Just find people who enjoy the game!

Yeah I'm not about to D&D as Zane Frasier

You’re more of a Kevin Rosier type? I know this isn’t for everyone but I’ve got a couple messages from people who are really enjoying it and giving good feedback.

Back