Replacing my gloves recommendations...

MisterHappy

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
So my Hyabusa Tokushu gloves pretty much blew apart this week and I'm in need of advice to replace them. A bit of quick background: ammy level kickboxing only, train (kickboxing) on average 4x a week, give or take, and I used my existing gloves as pretty much a catch all for practice, mit and bag work, sparring, etc. They've lasted about a year and half with some minor repairs (thumb strap came out a few times) but otherwise held up ok until now. I've had few complaints other than the thumb was a bit wierd and the thumb strap coming out. Padding has held up reasonably well, velcro still works, wrist support is excellent and the mesh helps them dry out as much as possible between training sessions (important as I'm a sweaty pig). Looking for a good ,reliable all purpose glove to use in a similar manner preferably for $100 or less, give or take. Be happy to answer any other questions and appreciate feedback from others on gloves they've owned. I've read a LOT and found maybe the Fairtex bgv1 breathable or maybe the Top Kings air model as potential options but would love input. Thanks in advance.

Wish I had my tokushu broken apart now, so I can have a reason to get an improved replacement, love and hate that gloves at the same time. (That mesh palms really don't help drying much at all imo, not sure why you like it.)

Anyway, I highly recommend the UMA ultra even though I don't own a pair myself, but from reviews they are exactly everything I wish my tokushu would improve on, the clear direct improved version of the tokushu.

100% what I'm going to get when my pair fall apart as well.

As much as I loved my Tokushu, I did not like my Regenesis as much. The padding was different and kInd of springy.

Just got my Fairtex BGV1 tight fit and I love them. Padding is protective, awesome wrist support. Just great gloves.

IMO mesh palm are overrated,. I had a lot of gloves and never saw a difference between mesh and non mesh palm in terms of heat.

Twins are also amazing gloves. You cannot go wrong with Twins or Fairtex.

Appreciate the feedback. The mesh wasn't so much about temps for me during use as it was drying the glove out after my workout. Figured mesh would get more air in but the price is the same for most models so if the padding is the same I'd pick mesh. If the padding is better for solid I'd be fine with that, it's not a deal breaker.

Appreciate the feedback. The mesh wasn't so much about temps for me during use as it was drying the glove out after my workout. Figured mesh would get more air in but the price is the same for most models so if the padding is the same I'd pick mesh. If the padding is better for solid I'd be fine with that, it's not a deal breaker.

Not sure I agree with that, full leather palm with decent amount of vent holes actually dry the same to me, if not faster.

It's just the thing that bugs me a little, it might not be true, but somehow I feel the mesh palm seems to be that material traps the sweat in like a sponge in a way and takes longer to dry compare to standard leather with nylon lining. I think it has to do with me cleaning the gloves fully after every work out. Nylon lining leather palm probably can get to 70-90% dry if you wipe it properly with tissue, it's easy and direct. Mesh palm can only get like 30-50% or so if you wipe it. Then when you air the gloves out, leather palm is basically dry to start with and much quicker to get to 100% dry.

Not to mention mesh palm is more fragile, can scrape someone in a clinch etc all those good stuff.

Just my opinion, might not be 100% accurate to everybody.

Not sure I agree with that, full leather palm with decent amount of vent holes actually dry the same to me, if not faster.

It's just the thing that bugs me a little, it might not be true, but somehow I feel the mesh palm seems to be that material traps the sweat in like a sponge in a way and takes longer to dry compare to standard leather with nylon lining. I think it has to do with me cleaning the gloves fully after every work out. Nylon lining leather palm probably can get to 70-90% dry if you wipe it properly with tissue, it's easy and direct. Mesh palm can only get like 30-50% or so if you wipe it. Then when you air the gloves out, leather palm is basically dry to start with and much quicker to get to 100% dry.

Not to mention mesh palm is more fragile, can scrape someone in a clinch etc all those good stuff.

Just my opinion, might not be 100% accurate to everybody.
I think this is right. My Tokushus probably took longer to air dry than my leather gloves with lining. I think more moisture can get absorbed into the mesh. And bacteria...

Not a fan of Tokushu, generally, and definitely not a fan of mesh on gloves.

Never really thought about it that way and since I've only had mesh I just assumed. Good stuff, standard leather palms it is. That's why I post here :) Thanks again!

On a side note, anyone have experience with both the Fairtex BGV1 and BGV14s? I like the idea of better wrist support in the 14 but not sure if it's needed. Keep in mind I'm coming from using the Hayabusa Tokushu.

Last edited:
If you're looking for MT style gloves, you should be sure to consider gloves from KO Fightgear. They're about $45 shipped. For that price you could get two pairs and use one for sparring.

I have a pair and I actually prefer them to the Fairtex BGV1. But that's just me.

+1 for KOFG ! Best gloves on the market in regards to quality/value. They fit snug, awesome wrist support and protective padding. The thumb is a bit short for me but if it was not for this, I would prefer them to my Fairtex BGV1.

Don't be fooled by the price.

Here is some comparison photos between KOs and Fairtex BGV1

IMG_20160806_124304_zpssh2bazbo.jpg

IMG_20160806_124342_zpsfnkjyx46.jpg

IMG_20160806_124414_zpsjh8fa8eg.jpg

My advise, one pair of 16's sparring soft one or two pairs for everything else. 2 pairs? Just so they don't get so sweaty

+1 for KOFG ! Best gloves on the market in regards to quality/value. They fit snug, awesome wrist support and protective padding. The thumb is a bit short for me but if it was not for this, I would prefer them to my Fairtex BGV1.

Don't be fooled by the price.
The thumbs were a problem at the beginning, but I think over time the material stretched out or molded in a way to be less obtrusive. It just takes some time (and endurance on the part of your thumbnails). My thumbs still hit the end of the thumb compartment, but it's no longer a problem. I just used them and they feel great.

The thumbs were a problem at the beginning, but I think over time the material stretched out or molded in a way to be less obtrusive. It just takes some time (and endurance on the part of your thumbnails). My thumbs still hit the end of the thumb compartment, but it's no longer a problem. I just used them and they feel great.

Good to know. I got mine not too long ago and they probably got only 15 rounds so far. Great gloves. Will keep using them for sure.

My Fairtex are braking in nicely and i must say they are amazing gloves.

Good to know. I got mine not too long ago and they probably got only 15 rounds so far. Great gloves. Will keep using them for sure.

My Fairtex are braking in nicely and i must say they are amazing gloves.
I've had mine for not too long, maybe a month and a half. I've probably gone at least a hundred rounds on the heavy bag and they've broken in real well.

I had the Fairtex BGV1s for about a month or so but I got a refund on them because they didn't feel right (Amazon warehouse deals ftw). My knuckles would only be in contact with the padding when I'd connect, but there would otherwise be a strange gap between them. It didn't feel right. It was probably just a bad pair.

I tried the Fairtex out because of what I'd heard and the KO Fightgear gloves because of their quality and price. I don't do MT or kickboxing so I tend to stick with traditional boxing gloves. That said, I really do enjoy using the KO Fightgear gloves.

Those KOs look like a great, cheaper alternative to the Fairtex BGV1s but I like the idea of a bit of wrist padding/better wrist support of the BGV14s plus I'd prefer a 14 Oz glove (I'm not overly large and most of our smoker events are 14oz gloves for my weight, not that it's a huge difference). I can get 2 pair of the KOs (only 16 oz) for 1 BGV14 though... argh. Really appreciate the feedback though, thanks everybody.

Those KOs look like a great, cheaper alternative to the Fairtex BGV1s but I like the idea of a bit of wrist padding/better wrist support of the BGV14s plus I'd prefer a 14 Oz glove (I'm not overly large and most of our smoker events are 14oz gloves for my weight, not that it's a huge difference). I can get 2 pair of the KOs (only 16 oz) for 1 BGV14 though... argh. Really appreciate the feedback though, thanks everybody.
If you're in the US you can get 14oz black BGV14s for $75 on Amazon.

And then get a pair of KO Fightgear gloves for $45. You'll be at $120 total...

Voilà ! There's your solution.

If you decide to get the BGV14, I'd love to get a full review or at least an initial one if you have the time. Those gloves look pretty sweet just by the look.

Back