Law Rep Omar introduces resolution stating every american has the right to support BDS

dissectingaorticaneurysm

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
https://mondoweiss.net/2019/07/intr...KeZ1bCGAhuMiHq09S9BztIGl8EAYcgx2YUS5z8TBxnz5g
Minnesota Representative Ilhan Omar has introduced a bill affirming that Americans have the right to participate in boycotts. Although the legislation doesn’t specifically mention the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement (BDS), it coincides with an anti-BDS resolution that is currently being pushed by many Democrats.​

This was a direct blow to Pelosi and her allies. The Four Congresswomen of the Apocalypse are making bold power moves. To make this play right after the Dems came to their defense against Trump which will force Pelosi to denounce her is a masterstroke. Now, the anti BDS alliance will have to side with Trump against her lol.

You 100% have a right to a boycott. Fuck Nancy Pelosi and her anti American pro Israel shit.

I wonder how "The Squad" will do come re-election time. AOC already has a challenger.

Passing a law against boycotting is ridiculous. Anyone should have the freedom to boycott anything they wish.

damn right. I don't want any of my Goddamn tax dollars as it is going to any of the Godforsaken countries in the Middle East.

If Israeli state, which Pelosi calls the Jewish people, is deserving of self determination, how about stopping the billions we hand them to bomb civilians, and stop bailing them out like a child state every time they commit atrocities.

Passing a law against boycotting is ridiculous. Anyone should have the freedom to boycott anything they wish.

Actually, after thinking for a moment, I believe organizing a boycott against a company for protected class reasons (such as organizing and encouraging the boycott of a new restaurant in town because the owner is black or gay or Muslim) might be illegal?

That could end up being a messy/interesting case.

Shouldn't be anything left or right about this. If you don't want to use your dollars to support a business, that's your right.

The congressional jew hater proposed an anti-Israel resolution?

<Cage33>

People already have the right to boycott whatever they want, they just don't get government contracts if they publicly boycott an ally.

https://mondoweiss.net/2019/07/intr...KeZ1bCGAhuMiHq09S9BztIGl8EAYcgx2YUS5z8TBxnz5g
Minnesota Representative Ilhan Omar has introduced a bill affirming that Americans have the right to participate in boycotts. Although the legislation doesn’t specifically mention the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement (BDS), it coincides with an anti-BDS resolution that is currently being pushed by many Democrats.​

This was a direct blow to Pelosi and her allies. The Four Congresswomen of the Apocalypse are making bold power moves. To make this play right after the Dems came to their defense against Trump which will force Pelosi to denounce her is a masterstroke. Now, the anti BDS alliance will have to side with Trump against her lol.

I eagerly await the staunch defense of freedom of speech from the right.

Look one post up
giphy.gif

I hope Omar get's as much screen time as possible. If she really thinks she is allowed to get away with this, I do applaud her but also laugh out loud at her ignorance to who she is going up against.

On Wednesday, Engel's committee will vote on an anti-BDS resolution, introduced by Reps. Bradley Schneider, D-Ill., and Lee Zeldin, R-N.Y. The resolution was a priority for American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) activists during their annual lobbying day earlier this year. The committee also plans to vote on a military aid bill that codifies the $38 billion, 10-year memorandum of understanding with Israel into law — another AIPAC priority.

Omar Bless

Good. I hope the right people realign their stances and start doing the same things they do in the other direction.

Actually, after thinking for a moment, I believe organizing a boycott against a company for protected class reasons (such as organizing and encouraging the boycott of a new restaurant in town because the owner is black or gay or Muslim) might be illegal?

That could end up being a messy/interesting case.

I havent seen anything that would prevent this in the civil rights act. Basic this bill from Pelosi would do that exact thing, but only for Israel.

I do find it funny how people like to shit on Omar and AOC for not playing the usual politican game.
So you think it's better to have career politicians in power for 30+ years? These people care more about staying in power and keeping the status quo over actually getting shit done.

This idea that the Freshman members should just "wait their turn" is retarded. A house of rep's term is only 2 years. Nothing substantial would get done if everyone just sat on their hands and waited to take their cues from Pelosi

Seems like a a huge waste of time.
In the sense that she will lose, yes. But it sparks national conversation and brings interest to this debate.

While both bills still have more than enough support to pass, Omar told Al-Monitor that she intends to vote no.
Omar's lone voice of opposition marks an end to years of bipartisan precedent that allowed similar legislation to sail through both the House and Senate unopposed. Both chambers easily passed a similar military aid bill by voice vote last year but ran out of time to resolve minor differences in the House and Senate versions.

Additionally, last year the House Foreign Affairs panel unanimously passed the Israel Anti-Boycott Act, which would allow the Trump administration to implement anti-BDS regulations for businesses and their employees that could carry criminal penalties of up to 10 years in prison and a $1 million fine.

The resolution, which asserts that the BDS undermines a two-state solution and Israel's right to exist, boasts 339 bipartisan co-sponsors, including a number of progressive lawmakers. By contrast, Omar's bill is unlikely to receive a committee markup let alone pass. Still, she told Al-Monitor she refuses to yield to pressure from either party when it comes to AIPAC-backed legislation.

"I am very much driven by the moral clarity that I was sent to govern with, and I'm quite confident that it will withstand pressure," said Omar.​

Back