Renzo Gracie Academy NYC price

Jesus John teaches at least 8 classes a week. 2 a day most days. I train there and havesince 2004 and have a renzo tattoo and I won't comment in this thread because its filled with women would rather gossip and talk shit about things they know nothing about than train. Like the moron who said "he must own the space" People are entiled to make money, its america. He can charge as much as the market allows and HE IS NOT HURTING FOR STUDENTS.

whats the average size for a class of blue belts in the purple belt program?

Jesus John teaches at least 8 classes a week. 2 a day most days. I train there and havesince 2004 and have a renzo tattoo and I won't comment in this thread because its filled with women would rather gossip and talk shit about things they know nothing about than train. Like the moron who said "he must own the space" People are entiled to make money, its america. He can charge as much as the market allows and HE IS NOT HURTING FOR STUDENTS.

Dude, no one is suggesting that he isn't entitled to make money; on the contrary I think its been noted the market is allowing him to do it so why should he lower his prices.

That said, I think the service could be better and they atleast attempt to be more personalized in their approach.

I don't know where you people all live or what you rent is....

in New York, one of the most expensive cities in the world, cheap rent (w a roommate) would be 900 to 1000 A MONTH! Yes, that is cheap for here in the city. My rent is almost 3 times higher than that and most of my friend's rent is much higher as well.

I pay 200 a month for Renzo, I go 4 to 5 times per week for BJJ classes. The teachers (all blackbelts) are very good there and they know your name, they say hi to me every time I come in.

I'm no star or future MMA fighter but being at Renzo's is like being with your family. I didn't believe that at first but now I really see the truth to it.

If you want to bitch about prices, gas, where how you live rent is 3 dollars a month, your teacher teaches you how to do the Dim Mak and teleport, etc. Great, good for you... that's why you live there.

If you want to live in NYC and train at a great facility, pony up.

It's as simple as that.

I don't think the issue is all about what is too much money to pay. That of course comes down to the person and what they feel is affordable.

My point was that not every instructor there is as good as some claim them to be.

I don't think the issue is all about what is too much money to pay. That of course comes down to the person and what they feel is affordable.

My point was that not every instructor there is as good as some claim them to be.

John Danaher is an amazing instructor. Thats all that I can comment on since I was there when John and Shawn were running the classes.

Ok for all you complainers about how expensive it is to train at Renzo, I have a short list for Manhathan alternatives. I believe they are relatively cheeper, but go look them up for exact prices. And if anyone wants to add so be it:

Studio X - a breakaway from Alliance, right next to Fighthouse(which also has BJJ and all kinds of TMA):icon_neut

Alliance- On 2nd ave between 9th and 10th street. As mentioponed before some bad blood with Studio X :icon_neut

Carvalho- Trains at Ultimate Muay Thai. Carvalho also has Judo credentials.

Machado's- On 39th street I believe. A great alternative to Renzo's.:D

NY Jiu Jitsu- Though this is a TMA place, they offer BJJ taught under Sensei Aaron Milan. Aaron is got his BB from John Danaher. Not to be offensive, its like "Renzo light", like light on the wallet. But whats great about this Aaron is that he's a very good instructor: knows how to break down the techniques, explain it well with the noobies, and very patient. The introduction to BJJ is probably the best beginners class I have experienced.:icon_chee

Dont let the TMA setting turn you off, but Sensei Aaron is definitetly a great instructor. Also Sensei Aaron has some Judo credentials.:icon_chee

Sensei Carmine Zoochi- trains guys mostly in nogi at NY Sanda, at 5pointsfitness(primarily Muay Thai) and IFL trainning center in Long Island City Queens. great instructor but he's like a Ronin without a house to fall under. But he's worth following.

So thats all I know for BJJ in Manhathan. If anyone wants to add to this go ahead or perhaps the other schools in the surronding burroughs.

So if you feel bummed out or just cant afford Renzo's pricing , you have good alternatives.

Oh one more thing, though I dont train anymore at NY Combat Sambo, I'll still plug these tough guys, because they are Sambist with BJJ influences like Fedor's Red Devil Sports club, though no direct connection with RD.:D

I don't care where you live, over $120 a month is ridiculous. I hope Renzo offers discounts for students atleast.

I don't know where you people all live or what you rent is....

in New York, one of the most expensive cities in the world, cheap rent (w a roommate) would be 900 to 1000 A MONTH! Yes, that is cheap for here in the city. My rent is almost 3 times higher than that and most of my friend's rent is much higher as well.

If you want to live in NYC and train at a great facility, pony up.

It's as simple as that.

Comments like that is why people around America think we are out of touch. Not everyone in NYC is a trustafarian(rich kid on trust fund) or a well off investment banker.
And not everyone in Manhathan is making a living in Financial Services or the law. And even financial services, like Bear Stearns, a good number of my bretheren are hurting.

The point is people are bitching about price. People covet the ability to train at an exceptional place like Renzo's. But many believe that Renzo's price gouging like an OPEC cartel.

But I do agree with you, hey its a free market, and if you want to train at Renzo's, then you have to pay for it. Nothing more and wishfully less.

Well Carlson (RIP) in Chicago wasnt much cheaper

Caesar in CA (yes, he's a cousin), doesent open his place up like a gym. It's exclusive people only at his place in the Bay Area.

I like Caesar's approach. Only serious people need fight/train here.

If indeed you actually find their gym.

In Northern CA, you'd be best off trying to go to Fairtex in San Francisco that has like 10 Machado Black Belts teaching there including Gustav himself I understand.

Or Cap City Fighting Alliance up in Sacto.

Stockton has some good setup schools (meaning they're not MMA gyms, but will teach you good basics to get into league with some) etc.

And of course the boxing Gyms ghetto ass in Stockton is 101 for an occasional MMA guy there, and where YOU WILL learn standup. Real standup.

Ok for all you complainers about how expensive it is to train at Renzo, I have a short list for Manhathan alternatives. I believe they are relatively cheeper, but go look them up for exact prices. And if anyone wants to add so be it:

Studio X - a breakaway from Alliance, right next to Fighthouse(which also has BJJ and all kinds of TMA):icon_neut

Alliance- On 2nd ave between 9th and 10th street. As mentioponed before some bad blood with Studio X :icon_neut

NY Jiu Jitsu- Though this is a TMA place, they offer BJJ taught under Sensei Aaron Milan. Aaron is got his BB from John Danaher. Not to be offensive, its like "Renzo light", like light on the wallet. But whats great about this Aaron is that he's a very good instructor: knows how to break down the techniques, explain it well with the noobies, and very patient. The introduction to BJJ is probably the best beginners class I have experienced.:icon_chee

Dont let the TMA setting turn you off, but Sensei Aaron is definitetly a great instructor. Also Sensei Aaron has some Judo credentials.:icon_chee

Sensei Carmine Zoochi- trains guys mostly in nogi at NY Sanda, at 5pointsfitness(primarily Muay Thai) and IFL trainning center in Long Island City Queens. great instructor but he's like a Ronin without a house to fall under. But he's worth following.

So thats all I know for BJJ in Manhathan. If anyone wants to add to this go ahead or perhaps the other schools in the surronding burroughs.

So if you feel bummed out or just cant afford Renzo's pricing , you have good alternatives.

Oh one more thing, though I dont train anymore at NY Combat Sambo, I'll still plug these tough guys, because they are Sambist with BJJ influences like Fedor's Red Devil Sports club, though no direct connection with RD.:D

Bump for NY combat sambo.

It is what it is. Depending on the way you look at it, Renzo's is the best place to train in the city.

When I mean "depending on the way you look at it", it all depends on what you are training for.

For a person who is training for recreation 2-3 times per week at most, it might not be worth it to spend the extra money to go to Renzo's. They can easily get the same instruction elsewhere. Also location might be of some importance.

Renzo's is a very crowded place too. If you are not as serious about BJJ as others, this might not be the place for you. You might be better off with extra attention you would get at another school.

The value of Renzo's academy is the level of students there are to roll with. There are so many top guys there, you won't find yourself in the "big fish, little pond" category. Along with having many high level black belt instructors whom are competition tested. They also have a very flexible schedule to work with most everyone's work schedule.

The proof is in the pudding, look at all the high level guys that place has produced. Look at the other gyms...

Studio X - Josh Griffins school. Haven't heard much about it, great facility, however I believe he charges a good amount as well. He is also a new black belt and some gray area stuff going on between him and Fabio.

Alliance NY - From all accounts that I've heard, it is a solid school with a decent competition team. The level of students here is high compared to other schools however not as good as Renzos by far. They also charge a good amount.

Machado NY - I have my personal opinions about this place but just look at this... this place has never, ever produced any Good BJJ players. It might be good for the white belt/low blue but thats about it IMO.

Ronin Athletics - MMA flavored school. Head Instructor is a BJJ Purple Belt. That might turn some people off. Christian is a nice guy and his students have a lot of fun and learn. Thats an important point.

Lotus Club BJJ - In Queens so might be out of the way for some people. New club so the level of students are obviously not as high as Renzos or even Alliance NY. Close knit type of academy.

Carmine Zocchi - Mainly NoGi and spread around in different gyms.

a bunch of other BJJ schools, many are associated with Renzo's and are belted under Renzo or John Danaher.

The point being is this, it is up to you as an individual to pick what the best training environment is FOR YOU. When people say you can get the same instruction elsewhere, that is a half true statement. As a white/blue, most of the instruction in BJJ is the same, therefore you can get away with going to a smaller school to train. This however does not apply once you get into the high belt ranks or if you want to accelerate your BJJ by training more, rolling more, and training with higher level people.

If you are very serious about your BJJ training, Renzo's is the best place to train in NYC. Period.

Comments like that is why people around America think we are out of touch. Not everyone in NYC is a trustafarian(rich kid on trust fund) or a well off investment banker.
And not everyone in Manhathan is making a living in Financial Services or the law. And even financial services, like Bear Stearns, a good number of my bretheren are hurting.

The point is people are bitching about price. People covet the ability to train at an exceptional place like Renzo's. But many believe that Renzo's price gouging like an OPEC cartel.

But I do agree with you, hey its a free market, and if you want to train at Renzo's, then you have to pay for it. Nothing more and wishfully less.

I know, but these people rant about stuff like they know what it is like living here. I used to live in Minneapolis where 600 bucks for rent got you an awesome apartment, gym facilities, pool, underground parking, etc. I didn't train back then but I'm sure MN Martial Arts Academy (home of Sherk) is cheap there too.

I wish living in NYC was that easy and cheap, but to those who live there know how hard it is.

I wasn't trying to be a jackass... I was just trying to tell the truth.

People seem to think that what Renzo's is doing is highway robbery. It would be awesome if his prices could come down a bit however he has a large location 3 block away from Madison Square Garden. Rent is very expensive. He obviously has to provide some sort of salary to his black belt instructors as well.

Also if you compare his rates with others around the city, he is not THAT much more. If you truly can't afford his rates, you can go to another school however the cheapest rates I've seen with a black belt teaching is $150 a month. for $50 more you can go to Renzo's (albeit not the unlimited program).

Hey I don't blame anyone for being put off by Renzo's prices. I am guilty of that, I figured I could just go train somewhere else and save some money and get the same product. I have come to realize you pay to go to Renzo's for a superious product (Nice facility, higher skill level students, many black belt instructors, wide open schedule, etc).

if u can't afford renzo's simply don't go there are great other places to train at. If you can... GO its most likely worth it.

Renzo's is expensive, but the one time I did go down, I could honestly say the cost would be worth it if I was in the area on a daily basis. It's a big name, yes. But as far as NYC instruction, they produce the most names and they're the school that has people traveling to them, not the other way around.

from what i hear, Renzo's in Manhatten is great for higher lever students, meaning HIGH level blues and up, but for the lower belts, the training is dulled and watered down, so says a student from our academy that trained there a bit. Then again, we do old school BJJ and 95% of our class speaks portuguese...

Back