Renzo Gracie Academy NYC price

saying it's too expensive = excuse not to train.

Agreed. Most gyms that I have been to the people are cool and if you can't really afford it, try to work something out. It is always a positive to have more guys training.

I'm not so sure about that.
The bjj instruction at Ronin is definitely not even near RGA but alot of the Ronin Students are constantly winning 3rd, 2nd, and 1st place in NAGA, Grapplers Quest, and various local competitions. So they must be doing something right.

You don't have to be a Black Belt to be a good instructor and be able to teach the art (remember that lots of it is having the instructor lead you in the right direction and then having the student find the correct timing through sparring), a lower level instructor could still be better than a Black Belt instructor.

How many awesome boxing trainers or MMA trainers that train the big champs and top contenders are or have been top contenders or champs themselves, sometimes a great trainer or coach might not necessarily be a champ or former champ himself, same way that a top champ or top contender might not be the best trainer out there

Holy crap. I dont know if it's a NY thing or if I'm just out of touch with things, but I was balking at my local gym that wanted $120 month for unlimited MMA and kickboxing classes. Maybe I should reconisder!!

It is a NY thing because the money Renzo's has to pay for the amount of space they have in Manhattan is probably ridiculous.

I am not trying to completely diss the school, but are they winning at the advanced or belt belt levels above white and blue? I am just saying you are not going to get to a purple/brown/black belt level at Ronin. I know a few people who train there (and even some of the instructors) and it is a solid school. I am just saying if your goal is becoming a strong technical sport BJJ competitor it isn't the right school, but that is my opinion with most SBG affiliates. I have had friends who weren't interested in sport BJJ and I recommended Ronin to them without hesitation.

The emphasis is not on sport BJJ but more on MMA and No-gi even though
competition-wise, Ronin is almost exclusively No-gi

It's a young school, How can there be Black belts in a new school?

Ryan Hall (ooh big name, which is what people want) began his training with Ronin about 4 years ago when it was founded and was just a group of 6 or less that grappled for fun renting mat time. It began to expand about 2 and a half years ago after TUF. It got a new home about a year and a half ago at its own location.

The school just started getting Blue Belts about 2 years ago (these people started up at Ronin, some cross train a bit)

Can you get to an advanced level? eventually when the most advanced homegrown members improve to a higher level and higher level practitioners (purple and up) will have good sparring partners

It is a NY thing because the money Renzo's has to pay for the amount of space they have in Manhattan is probably ridiculous.

he's been at his facility for a while so i wouldn't be surprised if he owns the space by now. if not that, he's still def raking it in w/ his rates, despite the rent. their classes are PACKED.

i think RGA def caters to the more affluent part of the NY population.

and part of it has to be in order to pay for the "name" as well, it is a "Gracie" school, this allows them to ask for more, it's simple economics

Unless you are offering to foot the bill, you have zero leverage with that statement. 200 a month for go train for 3 hours a week max is not chump change.

I have a couple buddies who had to drop Renzo's because of the prices, it simply got ridiculous. It was eating into their other much more important expenses. They are happy training at other schools.

You don't have to be a Black Belt to be a good instructor and be able to teach the art (remember that lots of it is having the instructor lead you in the right direction and then having the student find the correct timing through sparring), a lower level instructor could still be better than a Black Belt instructor.

How many awesome boxing trainers or MMA trainers that train the big champs and top contenders are or have been top contenders or champs themselves, sometimes a great trainer or coach might not necessarily be a champ or former champ himself, same way that a top champ or top contender might not be the best trainer out there

Very true.

Most people never understand this.

Very true.

Most people never understand this.

yea and most people seem to not understand the number of blackbelts, gracies, world champions that teach at renzos....their students seem to do very well for themselves at all belt levels as well, so that adds on top of how good the instruction is.

I still dont get how people who are looking to train grappling in the city are training elsewhere but renzos, its a bit more expensive....OK....but look at what your getting.....

Unless you are offering to foot the bill, you have zero leverage with that statement. 200 a month for go train for 3 hours a week max is not chump change.

I have a couple buddies who had to drop Renzo's because of the prices, it simply got ridiculous. It was eating into their other much more important expenses. They are happy training at other schools.

in this case the guys been asking about the price for months and did not bother to even go check it out. i train in the city, did my rounds visiting the different gyms asking about prices. i'm just out of college and just started work and quite frankly i make dog shit in pay. i found myself saying that it was just too expensive for me to train as well, but that was really my excuse to be lazy and not train at all.

if you really want to train in NYC, you have to sacrifice other amenities. i have almost $30grand to payoff in student loans as well as $10grand in medical bills, so it's hard to make payments, train, and go out at the same time. u do what u gotta if you like it enough.

the other thing is that apart from Renzo's, the price for BJJ in the city is fairly consistent at most places (120-160)

he's been at his facility for a while so i wouldn't be surprised if he owns the space by now. if not that, he's still def raking it in w/ his rates, despite the rent. their classes are PACKED.

i think RGA def caters to the more affluent part of the NY population.

he is definitley raking it in...he has over 1000 students...do the math

wow what a statement. Excuse huh? New Yorks is an expensive city to live, also have you noticed the price of gas these days? Not only does this statement have 0 validity, but it goes beyond and lands on the negative side. But then again, i dont think you put much thought into it so ill move on...

250 a month? Renzo better be there teaching. Yes there are about 10 (you say) but at JJ Machados there's also about 10 black belts, many browns etc... and im sure your school gets a lot of visits from MMA fighters and established grapplers as well. Still the fact remains, if im going to pay to train at BOBs school, i expect BOB to be there, after all isnt BOB the reason the rates are so high? An established name has definitely earned those rights, but please be there or bring the price down.

Saying $10 bucks is no big deal in this pretty bad economy, NYC high priced living and food going (and will most likely continue to go up) is not something to be ignored. Then again why even think when we can just say "cheap ass, go train!".

I still dont get how people who are looking to train grappling in the city are training elsewhere but renzos, its a bit more expensive....OK....but look at what your getting.....

The reason that you don't understand is because you CAN afford to go there while others might not.

wow what a statement. Excuse huh? New Yorks is an expensive city to live, also have you noticed the price of gas these days? Not only does this statement have 0 validity, but it goes beyond and lands on the negative side. But then again, i dont think you put much thought into it so ill move on...

250 a month? Renzo better be there teaching. Yes there are about 10 (you say) but at JJ Machados there's also about 10 black belts, many browns etc... and im sure your school gets a lot of visits from MMA fighters and established grapplers as well. Still the fact remains, if im going to pay to train at BOBs school, i expect BOB to be there, after all isnt BOB the reason the rates are so high? An established name has definitely earned those rights, but please be there or bring the price down.

Saying $10 bucks is no big deal in this pretty bad economy, NYC high priced living and food going (and will most likely continue to go up) is not something to be ignored. Then again why even think when we can just say "cheap ass, go train!".

yea but out in california where you train, there are a million schools with plenty of blackbelts, renzos is the only one out here in new york(besides maybe serras) that has so many high level guys teaching and training....

Although i dont go to renzos, or a bjj school in the city, i will say your gas comment is pretty irrelevent because its like impossible to park in the city, and renzos is pretty close to the train station...so i think a lot of people take the trains/buses out over there...i dont know 100% tho, just my educated guess.

yea and most people seem to not understand the number of blackbelts, gracies, world champions that teach at renzos....their students seem to do very well for themselves at all belt levels as well, so that adds on top of how good the instruction is.

I get it, in your world, it's Renzo's or nothing. That's your opinion, and while it's extremely closeminded, you're entitled to it.

I'm happy at my school, our teacher is cool, likeable, very openminded, is always trying to learn something new himself and teaches us very well. All that for half the price of Renzo's. On top if it, there are MMA classes, Kickboxing, and some Sambo. And there are no restrictions on how often you can come. Plus, it is very conveniently located to many of us.
Also, he gets MMA fighters to come in and do some seminars. We also had one of the older Gracie's come in like 6 months ago to do a quick seminar.

When I was considering joining a school 2 years ago, naturally my first interest was on Renzo's. My friends were part of it. Then I found out how much it cost and that idea was out the window. Meanwhile my friends were already looking elsewhere to join.

Face it, Renzo is MILKING the Gracie name in NYC. I am not discounting the fact that it has a lot of black belts, gets a lot of known fighters & grapplers that come to it. But IMO, it is too expensive. In times like these, where food prices are rising through the roof, it's just not worth it.

My buddy, who used to be at Gracie's up to a year and half ago said it best. He goes "Look, as long as you got a good group of people to roll with and your sensei is a good teacher, that's all that matters"

i found myself saying that it was just too expensive for me to train as well, but that was really my excuse to be lazy and not train at all.

So there you go, that's you, not others. Don't assume that your reasoning is the same as others. My school is 120-160 a month and I recently ran into one of the guys who quit. We were talking and he honestly just could not afford it anymore with grad school expenses coming up. He felt bad and missed it, but the bottom line is that no school, whether it is MT, Grappling, Boxing or MMA is cheap in NYC. Most of us live in the real world, with bills and inflation.

Renzo's is double the price of any other grappling school. IMO, it does not hold double the value.

Ok. let me help in breaking this ridiculous pricing secret. I recently visited Renzo's to get some prices. I have trained there before and they remembered me, so they didn't bother to ask me to take a class first.

If I had signed up, I would be under the purple belt program, and to join into that program was either $234 or $239 a month (forgot which exact number), plus a $75 registration. This will allow you to participate in any purple belt class (gi and no gi), as well as the submission grappling classes. Oh yeah, this price also comes with a 2 year agreement.

Also, don't be hyped up by the "there are x number of world class black belts" teaching there. Not all the instructors there are of equal teaching ability. At least 2 of them are not the most attentive when it comes to instruction. I have friends who train, or have trained there as well, and they tell me this along with my own observations. To be fair though they do have their share of excellent instructors as well.

Also, the classes are very much run like a factory, especially at the white and blue belt levels. Lots of students, and classes end on the dot, with a new batch of students entering the mat right after. There are pros and cons to this depending on what you prefer in a class.

Back