Renzo Gracie Academy NYC price

Can anyone who CURRENTLY trains there advise what the pricing is now?

Not positive but I think for just unlimited BJJ its around $250 a month these days.

You get what you pay for. John Danaher teaches there. Leo Leites, and many others. There were over 12 black belts in Johns no gi morning class the other day, including Kenny Florian. In the last month I have seen Frankie Edgar, GSP, Rashad Evans, Ricardo Almeida, and Fedor. They have 1100 student in 10,000 square feet. They just signed a new lease and will be expanding to 17,000 shortly. Training with many tough guys it what its all about, not the same 5 dudes everyday...I trained with 4 guys yesterday and everyone of them took no worse than 3rd in a tournament this year.

Holy shit he said Fedor.

Sold!

You get what you pay for. John Danaher teaches there. Leo Leites, and many others. There were over 12 black belts in Johns no gi morning class the other day, including Kenny Florian. In the last month I have seen Frankie Edgar, GSP, Rashad Evans, Ricardo Almeida, and Fedor. They have 1100 student in 10,000 square feet. They just signed a new lease and will be expanding to 17,000 shortly. Training with many tough guys it what its all about, not the same 5 dudes everyday...I trained with 4 guys yesterday and everyone of them took no worse than 3rd in a tournament this year.

i really don't understand the novelty of having some celebrity/semi-celebrity MMA or BJJ guys drop by your school. They are probably not going to roll with you unless you are an advanced belt and in their weight class

i really don't understand the novelty of having some celebrity/semi-celebrity MMA or BJJ guys drop by your school. They are probably not going to roll with you unless you are an advanced belt and in their weight class

Says the guy who tells everyone he trains at AOJ.........

Says the guy who tells everyone he trains at AOJ.........

what's wrong with being proud of your gym? I am sorry but it's not my fault that you train at a shitty gym.

I see a ton of people with their gym affliation in their avatar and signature on sherdog.

Can anyone who takes the morning classes comment on how crazy the showers get crowded after the 7:30-8:30AM classes? Please.....

seinfeld_no_thanks.gif

Before getting up in arms about the costs of these gyms in Manhattan, you also need to consider the average salary in Manhattan.

If a person/household is taking in 10K per month, $250 a month for a gym is not a gigantic expenditure. Expensive, but roughly in line with someone making 5K a month and paying $125 a month for BJJ.

That said, with average rent around 3K a month, I'm sure things add up :eek:

World class instruction 20 minutes away

costs 300 dollars a month

feels batman

Before getting up in arms about the costs of these gyms in Manhattan, you also need to consider the average salary in Manhattan.

If a person/household is taking in 10K per month, $250 a month for a gym is not a gigantic expenditure. Expensive, but roughly in line with someone making 5K a month and paying $125 a month for BJJ.

That said, with average rent around 3K a month, I'm sure things add up :eek:

When I was at Marcelo's gym most of the people I knew there lived in other boroughs (Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens) and commuted to Manhattan to work/school.

I live in Brooklyn and commute to Jersey via train. On my way back home I have to pass through Manhattan.

I am not sure if there is a real direct benefit to your skills having well known MMA or BJJ guys train at the gym.

But it is sure is cool. One gym I trained at for a year and his sister gym had Kyra Gracie, GSP drop by on occasion. It also had Braulio and Victor estima come by frequently. Plus some lesser known but popular competitors.

It was cool to talk to these guys and girls. I know some of the girls really enjoyed having Kyra be there as she gave them great advice. And most people are approachable and the gave some good tips or shared some stories.

It was like having Michael Jordan come to your gym and shoot baskets then give your some tips or share a smoothie. I liked the experience.

I am not sure if there is a real direct benefit to your skills having well known MMA or BJJ guys train at the gym.

I've heard of circumstances where it is actually a detriment. Famous guy comes in and has a big fight coming up so the training becomes about him getting ready and everyone in class is his grappling dummy. Not saying that is always what happens, but it happens.

When I was at Marcelo's gym most of the people I knew there lived in other boroughs (Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens) and commuted to Manhattan to work/school.

I live in Brooklyn and commute to Jersey via train. On my way back home I have to pass through Manhattan.

That makes sense. My sister lives in the Financial District. It's insanely expensive. Still, I'm sure the average salaries (and rent/mortgage) are higher in the other boroughs than in most of the rest of the United States outside of areas like San Francisco. So I imagine most people who train in Ohio, for instance, are spending a similar percentage of their income on BJJ tuition as someone in NYC.

Back